•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SvBony 8 x 32 ED Review.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:00 PM

https://neilenglish....2-ed-binocular/

• Veridian, russell23, Abhat and 4 others like this

#2 NDfarmer

NDfarmer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 20 July 2021 - 05:50 PM

I have never heard of this brand, is it special, it looks to be just another china clone....................?

Ho,Hum.............

Jerry

Edited by NDfarmer, 20 July 2021 - 05:52 PM.

#3 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:38 PM

Nice review Neil!  I’ve had trouble using binoculars because my right eye has quite a bit of astigmatism compared to the left eye.  But I’m not surprised this binocular is really good because I’ve been using the SVbony 10x32ED monocular and the Orion 8x25ED monocular.  Both have the same origin.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 43996CB4-1D57-4E2C-A548-2EA814F36D55.jpeg
  • DED41E6C-4976-40BE-A0F0-A8A004BC6235.jpeg

• Veridian and astroneil like this

#4 has530

has530

Lift Off

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:51 PM

@NDfarmer they are just another Chinese OEM factory generic brand. I had a telescope eyepiece of theirs are while it performed well for it's rock bottom price, I was not overly impressed with its quality. 

#5 RLK1

RLK1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:38 AM

I see they've got a 10 x 42 model of these as well. I haven't found any reviews of it other than those on amazon which were positive. If it functions similarly to the 8 x 32, it should be a good deal... 

#6 Bkoh

Bkoh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 05:27 AM

I have never heard of this brand, is it special, it looks to be just another china clone....................?

Ho,Hum.............

Jerry

Svbony is a Chinese rebrander, basically a Chinese version of Orion, Altair, Astronomics etc. They buy from factories and have their name put on the items. The items vary widely in quality, but there are some definite winners:

SV190 (10mm, 18mm) - these are the much-rebranded and well-liked APM eyepieces, also sold under Meade, Celestron, Altair etc. I have the 18mm and like it very much.

SV406P - 80mm f6 ED spotting scope. Probably made by KUO or Long Perng. I have this, performance is good day and night, no CA in visual use.

SV171, SV135 - zoom eyepieces, good reviews here on CN.

Aspheric (4/10/23mm) - also sold by Vite, Celestron, Meade etc. Not superb objectively but 23 and 10 said to be incredible value for money. I have the 23 and it works well as a finder eyepiece, also does well in daytime.

Goldline/Redline (6/9/15/20) - Orion Expanse clones. Much reviewed on CN.
  • astroneil and Adam Long like this

#7 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 05:53 AM

Good Morning:

Dave: Many thanks for chiming in with your valued report of the SvBony ED monocular. I would hazard a guess that it has the same basic optical design as the 8 x 32 ED.

I've come across a lot of junk products in the past, but this is certainly NOT one of them. The ergonomics and optics are very good indeed!

You may have done so before, but I wonder if you could comment on the mechanics of the monocular, eg the quality of the helical focuser, coatings and your impression of its optical performance etc.

Thanks in advance!

RLK1: Yes, that's an interesting question; re the 10 x 42 model. I'm sorely tempted but I have my wife and kids to take on holiday

next week so I'm saving the pennies for that.lol.gif 

But I might have a look at the 10 x 42 model later this year. 

Bkoh: Thank you for the additional info regarding the company and the products they supply. 

For the record, I would be willing to send my sample of the 8 x 32 ED to another reviewer in exchange for an impartial review. All I request is that you pay postage. PM me if interested. 

I have attached a few more images.

Regards,

Neil 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9645.jpg
  • IMG_9631.jpg
  • IMG_9627.jpg
  • IMG_9637.jpg
  • IMG_9630.jpg

#8 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:00 AM

Here you go Neil - a thread I started on these monoculars last year:

https://www.cloudyni...r#entry10830038

• astroneil likes this

#9 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:31 AM

Cheers Dave!

Yep, I think we're dealing with the same same basic optics on the monocular and binocular. The coatings are the same colour i.e. purple/magenta and your report of its sharpness both within the sweet spot and at the edges matches mine.

I think I'll bring the 8 x 32 ED along with me to the dark skies of rural south Wales and compile a further daytime and night time report of its performance. That said, I did briefly try it out on a waxing gibbous Moon the other evening; it was low in the south-southeast and reddened by atmospheric dust but the image was tack sharp; good details of craters and maria and no annoying internal reflections.

South Wales has truly dark skies this time of year so I look forward to looking at the Summer Milky Way with this interesting glass.

Best wishes,

Neil.

#10 RLK1

RLK1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:41 AM

Svbony is a Chinese rebrander, basically a Chinese version of Orion, Altair, Astronomics etc. They buy from factories and have their name put on the items. The items vary widely in quality, but there are some definite winners:

SV190 (10mm, 18mm) - these are the much-rebranded and well-liked APM eyepieces, also sold under Meade, Celestron, Altair etc. I have the 18mm and like it very much.

SV406P - 80mm f6 ED spotting scope. Probably made by KUO or Long Perng. I have this, performance is good day and night, no CA in visual use.

SV171, SV135 - zoom eyepieces, good reviews here on CN.

Aspheric (4/10/23mm) - also sold by Vite, Celestron, Meade etc. Not superb objectively but 23 and 10 said to be incredible value for money. I have the 23 and it works well as a finder eyepiece, also does well in daytime.

Goldline/Redline (6/9/15/20) - Orion Expanse clones. Much reviewed on CN.

While Svbony may buy products from other factories,  it may also produce some of its own. A similar discussion about it occurred in the eyepiece forum not too long ago and images of its workforce producing optics was on display.

#11 Cestus

Cestus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:00 PM

I would be tempted to compare it to my 8x32 Vortex DB, but I suspect I am already too late.

Edited by Cestus, 21 July 2021 - 12:00 PM.

#12 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 06:22 PM

Update: I performed a measurement of the field size of the SvBony 8 x 32 ED just after local midnight( July 22). Turning to the Big Dipper asterism high in the northwest, I was just unable to fit Phecda and Merak into the field of view of the binocular. These are separated by 754' or 7.9 angular degrees, so I'm confident that the stated field size(7.87o) for this binocular is fairly accurate. 

• russell23 likes this

#13 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:06 AM

Ho,Hum.............

Jerry

They make a bajillion astro related accessories, from scopes to eyepieces to imaging cameras to this

#14 Alex_V

Alex_V

Mariner 2

• Loc: GTA, ON, Canada

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:54 AM

Also here:

https://www.cloudyni...-svbony-810x32/

#15 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:23 AM

waytogo.gif

#16 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:33 AM

Model Specifications(all 8x 32):

Trailseeker ED: https://www.birders-...binoculars.html

*Trailseeker :https://www.birders-...binoculars.html

*Helios Lightwing HR: https://www.birders-...binoculars.html

RSPB Harrier: https://shopping.rsp...binoculars.html

Viking Kestrel: https://www.birders-...binoculars.html

*Viking Merlin: https://www.birders-...binoculars.html

*SvBony ED: https://neilenglish....2-ed-binocular/

* Personally tested

Seat o' Pants Hypothesis:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9672.jpg

• JamesMStephens likes this

#17 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:14 AM

I recently had a chance to try the SVBony 8x25 monocular. It was mechanically very well constructed, good eye relief, seemed to have ED glass (a richness of color). One thing I noticed is that the prism lit fully up when getting anywhere near 30 dergrees of the raising sun. Lots of interesting concentric artifacts (as from dust?) and  strongly colored washouts. I saw similar concentric artifacts and more neutral colored washouts at the same angle with the SCOKC 8x20, another inexpensive Chinese monocular. Do you see such massive washouts near the sun with the 8x32 (the review only casually mentions vailing glare)?

Just to be clear, I do think the SVBony looks attractive at the price point. And it is very useful for prospective buyers to compare it to binos of similar prices!

#18 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:50 AM

Hello ihf,

I'm very sensitive(read intolerant) to too much glare and flaring.

My sample does present some glare but nothing worse than I have seen on some of the more expensive models costing £200 + in the above list. It does completely disappear when glassing under shade eg in a forest or just under a tree, but there is no strong flaring like you described near the Sun.  

I would say the level of glare suppression is very acceptable for the price I paid for the instrument.

I do realise that even the best instruments show some glare but it's something we all have to live with to some extent.frown.gif

Regards,

Neil.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9663.jpg

• ihf likes this

#19 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2021 - 03:46 AM

Update: Well, I brought the SVbony 8x 32 ED on vacation with me to the very dark skies of coastal Pembrokeshire, South Wales, and enjoyed a few days out with it on some of their gorgeous beaches.  My daytime assessment of the binocular remains the same; for the price, it offers very decent optics indeed. Very sharp, bright and contrasty within the sweet spot with some peripheral softness. Glare control is as good as I've witnessed on several other instruments in the same aperture class costing ~ 2-3x its price. 

Stargazing with the Svbony 8x 32 ED was a very pleasant experience. I've always felt 30-32mm is about the minimum aperture required to enjoy the stars with and it didn't disappoint scanning the Milky Way from Perseus in the North to Sagittarius in the South. The images it served up were were very sharp, contrasty and colour- true. The distortion at the edge of the field is easier to see on the stars than it is viewing objects during the day. Stars do bloat a little at the edge of the field but again, I've seen this behaviour on instruments in the same aperture class costing 2x the price.

I have two recommendations regarding improving the SvBony still further:

1. Reduce the field size: 6.5 to .7.0 degrees would show noticeable edge-of-field performance enhancements. Bigger ain't always better!

2. I would prefer a slightly looser focusing wheel, for faster, more responsive focusing adjustments. Loosening the tension ever so slightly would help in this regard.

Thankyou to the several folk who PM'ed me about testing the unit. Alas, I ended up gifting the instrument to my nephew and niece (twins) who were delighted with it. 

All in all, I would recommend this to anyone seeking a very effective, compact binocular on a tight budget. It's excellent bang for buck. And if you purchase through Amazon, you can return it with no questions asked if not satisfied. I'd say that's more than fair. 

Best wishes,

Neil.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9699.jpg

Edited by astroneil, 08 August 2021 - 03:49 AM.

#20 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:52 AM

Great review, Neil ... as always.

Years ago I tried the Traiseeker 10x32 and on the plus side, I noticed some points to improve, plus others that I didn't like. First, the rather high price (in that circumstance it was disproportionate ~ 240 €) and then, it had a yellow-greenish color-cast that I would not have accepted. 

For the rest, it was very light and as you said also quite ergonomic.

The overall quality of the optics was nice, with some good curvature and without that forced flattening effect of some models.

But I think this Svbony may have had an improvement. 

I remember the ER was very at the limit, with my sunglasses (+10mm), and that it was not comfortable enough to see 100% of the field.

Do you have any more thoughts on ER and color-cast?

#21 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2021 - 04:16 AM

Good morning Henry,

Many thanks again for your positive feedback. In respect of eye relief, 15.6mm worked fine for me, as I don't wear eye glasses but with a large field of view (7.8 degrees), this might be a bit tight for eye glass wearers. Having a smaller field would help in this regard, as I remember my experiences with the little Nikon Prostaff 7S 8 x 30  (a fine little binocular)  which had similar eye relief but a smaller field of view and it worked much better with glasses. Tight eye relief tends to be the norm with these 32mm instruments, but there are always exceptions, such as the Leica Trinovid HD 8 x 32, with 17mm, and that was truly sumptuous!

I don't notice much of colour cast with the Trailseeker 8 x 32, though I have noticed it on other models, but again 8x is more forgiving than 10x in almost every respect. I did notice significantly better contrast and slightly improved sharpness using the Svbony 8 x 32 ED though, and while I was on holidays I tested colour correction on the SVbony comparing it with a very good 10 x 42 non ED model on the edges of a chimney against a bright overcast sky. The Svbony showed really good colour correction - read very little colour fringing - compared with the non ED binocular, so I'm solidly convinced that the ED element was working well. I have heard of some reviewers testing for colour casts by looking through the objective end of the binocular at a piece of plain white paper placed on a table but I didn't do this with the SVbony.

Having ED glass elements in the objective is fine on paper, but its proper execution is important. In my experience, some poorly executed ED binos can actually show more colour fringing than an optimally executed non ED model. Take the venerable Leica Ultravid 8 x 20 for example -  it doesn't have ED glass yet possesses the best colour correction I have personally seen in a compact binocular. Indeed it has better colour correction than the Trinovid HD 8x 32 which has an ED glass objective element! It is truly remarkable in this regard and a testament to the wonderful optical engineering that went into the design of these fine instruments. The little Trinovid BCAs  (both non ED) were similar in this regard too, as I recall.

Regards,

Neil.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9676.jpg

• ECP M42 likes this

#22 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:57 AM

From what I can understand, the Svbony is a different binocular from the TS I tried. If I remember correctly, it was in 2016 and it was already an "old" model (whit ER 14,4mm and fov 6,2°).
This is better with ED lenses, but I guess also with modern coatings, which increase contrast. And it's probably more neutral than "my" Celestron, because lately I've seen a lot of cheap binoculars have good (or nearly) neutral sight. They may have changed the yield over the years and improved your TS as well. The ACs were fine and the distortion not too pronounced, but already enough to avoid the globe effect. But I don't think ED lenses can improve color-cast or contrast. They are mainly used to reduce color fringes outside the central field (radial or lateral CA). 

And I don't think Leica needs to mention ED lenses or BaK-4 prisms, which are more of a "decoy" of the oriental binoculars. smirk.gif

Take the venerable Leica Ultravid 8 x 20 for example -  it doesn't have ED glass yet possesses the best colour correction I have personally seen in a compact binocular. Indeed it has better colour correction than the Trinovid HD 8x 32 which has an ED glass objective element! 

By heart, I have never read ED or SD or XD or anything else, to specify Leica lenses.

If they use low dispersion glass, they do it because it is needed, if needed, but without creating too much dust. Pocket models from Leica tend to have a higher focal-ratio and the narrow exit pupil further helps to attenuate the ACs. Bright binoculars are more prone to aberrations.

Edited by ECP M42, 10 August 2021 - 09:01 AM.

• astroneil likes this

#23 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2021 - 02:28 PM

Good evening Henry,

I'm finding myself in agreement with you. The new budget binoculars being churned out now have greatly improved coatings i.e dielectrics and multi-layer anti-reflection coatings that were simply unheard of on such inexpensive models even less than a decade ago. The competition is learning very fast. I think where the alphas have a good edge over cheaper makes is in build quality/durability, though I'm finding that once you get into the mid-tier, build quality is getting very good indeed. I also agree that ED doesn't necessarily make a binocular. I'd much prefer a well executed non-ED than a so-so ED, even if the glass is mined from the asteroid belt.lol.gif

How did the competition achieve such progress?

I am reminded from history of some of the audacious enterprises of the Romans to gain a maritime advantage over the Carthaginians during the first Punic War ( 3rd century BC). According to Polybius, knowing that they could not beat the Carthaginians in their naval superiority, they captured a Carthaginian ship. But instead of razing it to the ground, the Romans took the ship apart, plank by plank, nail by nail, labelled every component ,and proceeded to put it back together from scratch! Then they built an entire fleet of such ships; faster, cheaper, better. Thus, slowly but surely, the Mediterranean became mare nostrum.lol.gif

We live in a golden age for binoculars!

Re:Leica: Yep, they tend not to say much about all the goodies that go into their product line, which is fine by me, as whatever they produce is sure to turn heads,  but I was so impressed with the optics on the little Ultravid, I contacted Leica UK directly to congratulate them on producing such a fine optic, but also to inquire about the glass employed in the 8 x 20. I had heard from a few good sources that they did not employ ED glass in the instrument but wanted to confirm it. Here is the response I got:

Dear Neil,

Nice to hear from you!

We are glad to hear that you are impressed with the Ultravid. As you correctly guessed, the Ultravid 8×20 BR doesn’t have an extra-low dispersion element like the bigger “HD” Ultravid. Despite this, the compact Ultravid features aspherical elements that greatly reduce colour fringing and increase sharpness.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Best wishes,

Tizia

Tizia Barci
E-Commerce Manager| Leica Camera UK

You mentioned the high f ratio on their pocket glasses. I'm inclined to agree that this is part of the magic of these pocket glasses. In a previous life, I have studied high f-ratio optics ad nauseam in regard to the classical achromatic refractor, but if I had to divulge all that info I'd have to shoot you!lol.gif

It's all very interesting!

Best regards,

Neil.

#24 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 August 2021 - 05:00 PM

Dear Neil, I would say that your historical anecdote of the Mediterranean fits perfectly. But based on my experiences I have not yet found any "Leica clone" that can approach them (if there were any).
In the golden years for Nikon, there was perhaps an attempt to "duplicate" some of the features of the best Leitz photographic lenses, but it's like for any guitarist, trying to play Jimi Hendrix's music like Jimi Hendrix. Impossible!  smirk.gif  

Even this of the glass may seem a purely technical question, but I believe that it is not the whole story. I see within it a glow that defines a certain humanity, a thought and therefore an intellectual work. Take for example the works of the most famous optical engineers of this company, like Walter Mandler or Max Berek. And even today, in their glasses, there are the old intuitions and new contributions, always very reasoned, in my opinion. 

As for the answer of "Tizia Barci", I'm afraid she has told you some lies or nonsense!

... the compact Ultravid features aspherical elements that greatly reduce colour fringing  

Aspherical elements are used to reduce or cancel spherical aberrations, typical of spherical lenses. And they do not reduce the CA, since the cause of the CA is the different refraction of the frequencies of the light radiation inside the glass (dispersion).

Typical solutions are to couple at least two elements with opposite dioptric power and different refractive index (achromatic or apochromatic lenses), adding low dispersion (ED) glasses to improve radial CA. 

The intervention of the aspherical lenses is so great, in proportion to the wavelength of the light (thinner than a soap bubble), that no machine could work the glass with that precision. And even if it were possible, the cost would be astronomical compared to the yield. 

waytogo.gif

Henry

#25 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:44 AM

Good Morning Henry,

You sounded a bit defensive, as though I'm suggesting that these Chinese ED binos are in the same class as the Leica's and other alphas; that is not what I'm asserting. The market leaders with regard to quality - Swaro, Zeiss, Leica - do offer considerably higher quality optics and ergonomics. I'm a Leica fan remember! What I was asserting is that the Chinese products are catching up and seem to satisfy a lot of customers these days. 

snip:" As for the answer of "Tizia Barci", I'm afraid she has told you some lies or nonsense!"

Them there are fighting words Henrylol.gif

I wondered why you'd say that. I mean if, a company were marketing a product with ED glass but in fact were telling porky pies because the said product did not have ED glass - that would be motive enough to lie. Or if a company were manufacturing products in China but kept asserting that it was made in Japan say, that also would be deceitful. But I find it incredulous that they would lie about a perceived disadvantage i.e. not having ED glass elements. It just doesn't comport with me.

Anyway; I did fire off an email to Leica Germany last night, asking if the original Ultravids launched back in the early noughties, and including the unmodified 8 x 20 UV, contained ED glass elements. This is a copy of my question and their response, which I received this morning:

Dear Birgitta,

I am writing to enquire a little about the optics of the Ultravid 8 x 20 BR, which I very much enjoy, having recently purchased one.

I understand that these pocket Ultravids do not have ED objective elements and that they were similarly designed to the original Ultravids back in 2003?

Can you confirm that this is the case?

With best wishes,

Neil.

Dear Leica Customer,

many thanks for your request.

it is as you already describe it.

Despite their small size, the compact Ultravids have excellent imaging performance and color correction.

Do not hesitate to contact us again if you have further questions.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards
Peter Brieger
Leica Camera AG
Customer Care                                                 

Produkt Support
Am Leitz-Park 5 / D-35578 Wetzlar

www.leica-camera.com / peter.brieger@leica-camera.com

Telephone 06441-2080111

There's a phone number there that you can contact Leica directly if you wish to pursue this further.waytogo.gif

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

On to other matters now.

How does the inclusion of ED glass affect light transmission?

Here is an Allbinos report from a while back comparing the Leica Ultravid 10x 50 HD,  the first ED version of the Ultravid (launched in 2007?):

https://www.allbinos...d_10x50_HD.html

The article discusses a comparison between the Ultravid HD with the Ultravid BR (non fluorite).

If you scroll down to near the end of that report you can see the light transmission graphs as a function of visible wavelength for both models and how they matched expectations.

The report states:

"The transmission, which level was slightly higher, was the only noticeable improvement but the difference was rather symbolic, reaching on average 1-2% for the most of the visual spectrum, only sometimes achieving those promised 3% . In the blue part, both binoculars perform alike, in the middle of the spectrum the new HD model is 1-2% better, on the border of red and infrared the older model fares better than the new one. The AquaDura coatings are the thing that you notice immediately – the new Ultravid HD really doesn’t get dirty so much and is easier to clean."

Now, in regard to optical performance, this thread from Birdforum dated to 2008 - so a year after the launch of the HD incarnation - discusses the differences the fluorite and Aquadura hydrophobic coating was received by users of the original (non fluorite) model.

https://www.birdforu...d-vs-hd.108903/

Here's another good item for study; comparing the light transmission of a non-ED Nikon Prostaff 7S 8 x 30 ( retail price ~ £150) with the Nikon Monarch 7 8x 30 ( with ED retail price ~ £279):

https://www.allbinos...ff_7s_8x30.html

and 

https://www.allbinos...rch_7_8x30.html

The reader will note that the non ED Prostaff 7S has a higher light transmission than the Monarch 7.

Possible explanation: the Monarch 7 has a more complex optical train than the Prostaff 7S( more complex eyepiece design ?) and so one might expect lower overall transmission.

Seeking the truth in all things.

Food for thought!

Regards,

Neil.

Edited by astroneil, 11 August 2021 - 05:53 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics