•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SvBony 8 x 32 ED Review.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:49 AM

Oculus historiae: Good discussion on ED versus non-ED binoculars from the archives;

https://www.cloudyni...-in-binoculars/

#27 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 11 August 2021 - 08:54 AM

You sounded a bit defensive ...

Them there are fighting words Henrylol.gif

How does the inclusion of ED glass affect light transmission? 

Good morning, Neil.

No, none defensive. I know how you evaluate the two types of optics. I too have seen and am verifying the qualitative increase in recent years, in the cheapest and medium-low binoculars.

Regarding the fighting words smirk.gif, I may have used some improper term, but the gist is that. 

The point of the lie that you have received, is not whether Leica uses low dispersion optics or not, but is the answer focused on aspherical lenses. Which do not serve to reduce the CA, but on the contrary could create an additional aberration which is called spherochromatism. And therefore, if anything, worsen the CA effects. 

I am always sorry and saddened, when the "pseudo-technical interfaces" (incompetent characters for the company's customer service, often belonging to the marketing office = salespeople not at all technical) respond to customers in an ... illusionistic way! 

And even more sorry, when I see good people who fall into the trap without realizing it. 

I hope you understand that "Tizia's" answer was a farce!  

The issue of ED lenses increasing transmission, is also something wrong or misinterpreted.

I'm sorry Neil, but it seems to me that you're getting the wrong idea on the subject. 

It does not matter what difference Allbino or others can measure, because in reality it would be very very little. Less than a fraction of a percentage unit, given by the lower density of that type of glass. Therefore, you need to know how to read the data correctly.  graduate.sml.gif

If there is a transmission difference between non-ED binoculars and the other ED, it's 99% due to different coatings or designs or other things, but not ED lenses. There is no physical reason why 1 single ED element (or two) out of 14÷20 overall, could increase the total transmission by 1, 2, 3 or more percentage points. Do you know that physical reason?

We have totally escaped the initial topic ... lol.gif

Edited by ECP M42, 11 August 2021 - 08:55 AM.

#28 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2021 - 10:16 AM

Afternoon Henry,

We have gone at little astray here haven't we?lol.gif

Yes, I understand that having aspherical eyepieces doesn't address the issue of colour correction, at least in a way that I'm familiar with. Actually, the sentence Tizia used in regard to aspherical optics is also used almost verbatim on binocular store websites. Here's just one:

Brighter, sharper, more compact and more rugged than many other binoculars in this lens-diameter class. These compacts are identical to the larger Ultravids in their high levels of optical and mechanical performance. This is a consequence of specially designed eyepieces that guarantee a wide and sharp view without colour fringing from edge to edge of the image. Almost all elements of the full-size Ultravids have been miniaturised to a degree that permits their integration in the bodies of these compact glasses.

Source: https://www.cleyspy....nAaAh_jEALw_wcB

Tizia is not likely an optician.  My point was that the little Ultravids, like all of the original Ultravids without the HD labelling, didn't use ED glass elements. That was also confirmed by Leica Germany. They were, and still are, wonderful instruments.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The whole point of ED glass is that when mated to a suitable glass substrate, it reduces dispersion, focusing a broader range of visible wavelengths of light to a precise focus. This in and of itself will produce a slightly brighter image because the light is more tightly focused, so one would expect a slight increase in light transmission as a result of that technology. But how much brighter? A few per cent at most, as you've conceded, and which I agree with.

The principal reason these high end binoculars have excellent light transmission is due to coating advances; multiple layers ( 46 I believe in the case of Leica instruments) which maximise light transmission and greatly reduce internal reflections. I believe it is also attributed to some degree to the homogeneity of the glass used( fluorite crystals are very homogenous in this regard). Lower homogeneity scatters more light that could otherwise be received by the eye. And, of course, careful polishing of the glass elements help too.

What gets on my wick is the widespread use by magazine binocular reviewers that the ED glass magically increases light transmission to an extent that you can see in the darkcool.gif.

Case in point: I was out last night with my eldest son, well after the sun set, comparing two good 8 x 42 binoculars with similar specs and in a similar price range; one having ED glass and the other without. Try as we could to see any significant differences in brightness, we just couldn't make our minds up. The brightness was too similar. Now, the human eye can  pick up a difference of maybe 5 per cent or so, but it just wasn't there for us.  I do see a slight improvement in contrast, colour fidelity etc using well executed ED optics during the day; no question. But the emphasis is slight; it's there but it's not like night and day. 

German Precision Optics (GPO) a relatively new kid on the block, and founded by former professionals from Zeiss and Swarovski, market a series of low light binos with large apertures ( like 8x 56) and, according to this source, don't use ED glass in these binoculars. The reason they state is that one cannot see chromatic aberration in the dark lol.gif ! So they market those as GPO Passion and reserve their ED line for their smaller instruments (GPO Passion ED and HD):

https://www.youtube....h?v=AYFpTh8xlq4

I just wish folk would understand these points better and that for me, I would never choose an instrument solely on the basis of it having ED glass.

Let's not exaggerate!

Best wishes,

Neil.

Edited by astroneil, 11 August 2021 - 10:46 AM.

#29 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 11 August 2021 - 02:07 PM

Wow Neil, you push me to write a lot!

1  ... Actually, the sentence Tizia used in regard to aspherical optics is also used almost verbatim on binocular store websites. Here's just one:

(a) Brighter, sharper, more compact and more rugged than many other binoculars in this lens-diameter class. These compacts are identical to the larger Ultravids in their high levels of optical and mechanical performance. (b) This is a consequence of specially designed eyepieces that guarantee a wide and sharp view without colour fringing from edge to edge of the image. (cAlmost all elements of the full-size Ultravids have been miniaturised to a degree that permits their integration in the bodies of these compact glasses. 

2 - My point was that the little Ultravids, like all of the original Ultravids without the HD labelling, didn't use ED glass elements. That was also confirmed by Leica Germany.

3 - The whole point of ED glass is that ... produce a slightly brighter image ... But how much brighter? A few per cent at most, as you've conceded, and which I agree with.

4 - German Precision Optics (GPO) ... market a series of low light binos .. (8x56) ... don't use ED glass ... The reason they state is that one cannot see chromatic aberration in the dark lol.gif ! 

1 - The answer from "Tizia" is a farce. And I would try to eradicate certain misinformation, because they are harmful and confuse the unsuspecting poor. These are "bait" for fish or, if you like, "information junk". 

1a - I agree with this statement. But on the rest, not entirely.

1b - There is no point in describing as "wide" the eyepieces of Leica pockets, because they are "narrow" (50°). And it is not correct to say that they are devoid of color fringes, because they have lateral ones (radial CA) near the edges, in conditions of strong contrast.

1c - What are the elements of the larger formats that are integrated into the Leica pocket?

The eyepieces no! The 20-25mm are the only Leica binoculars with such a narrow view. Not even prisms. What other Leica binoculars are fitted with the small prisms of the Leica pocket? The lenses of the internal focus and the lenses of the objectives are certainly too small to derive from formats greater than 25mm. 

2 - Here I think there is another misconception: HD labeling does not mean ED lenses to my knowledge. You seem convinced that HD = ED lenses. But where did you officially read this information? (don't propose me any antics, I want to read an official Leica AG document smirk.gif).

Leica's HD and HD Plus binoculars use SCHOTT HT ™ glass in the prisms. And indeed, Peter Brieger of Leica Camera AG, simply states that the "Ultravid pocket" do not use low dispersion glass (nothing else). 

3 - I see you accuse a bit of inertia and find it hard to redirect yourself on the right course.

If anything, I have carefully pointed out to you that the possible increase in light transmission of an ED element is much less than 1 percentage point. It could be + 0.1% in total.

But am I writing badly or are you reading badly? lol.gif  

4 - I don't know if you're laughing because you think they're nonsense, or for other reasons.

Certainly, after sunset, the contrast of the light is reduced and it is difficult for animals targeted by hunters to emit strong radiation in the visible band. cool.gif

These binoculars are designed and built for use in the twilight, usually by select hunters or more or less professional observers of animals that move at these times of the day. They work until mid-nautical twilight, but are also used after moonlight. Before this point a 10x56 becomes more powerful and effective than the 8x56.

However, if they are pointed at very bright stars or at the brightest planets and the Moon, then it is possible that the absence of ED lenses will be highlighted. But that's not their main job.

With sympathy,

Henry

#30 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2021 - 02:54 PM

That's me done here folks. Thanks to everyone who participated in the thread and I hope you found it informative.

With best wishes,

Neil.

#31 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 September 2021 - 08:19 AM

I have recently acquired the Svbony 8x32 and 10x42 after reading Neil English detailed review to check for myself if the optical quality is a match to the technical specification. I can confirm these binoculars are possibly the best value for money for birding of hunting. Optically, they are just stunning and on par with binoculars prices at £300 to £400. The build quality is just marvellous, they feel awesome in the hands and deliver superb handling 

check out these field tests to give the buyer and rough idea what to expect. 

https://youtu.be/w0KcR32GFAU
https://youtu.be/TZzCAB3B_O8

• astroneil and ihf like this

#32 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2021 - 02:43 PM

Dear Opticsfield,

I am very much indebted to you for posting those two videos of both Svbony ED binoculars and for your assessment of their true status. I prefer the more old fashioned approach to reviewing binos, but your youtube clips definitely add a new dimension to testing which I really like.waytogo.gif

Now, I'm sorely tempted to buy in the 10 x 42 ED model for testing, as the images look so good!

I'm in absolute agreement with you that these binoculars totally blow away the previous winners of the best price to performance ratio held by Vortex.

It's truly amazing that one can acquire such high quality gear at such bargain prices.

Hope you get many good years out of them both!

With best wishes,

Neil.

#33 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:40 PM

Hi Neil,

First of all thank you for reviewing the 8x32ed, there is nothing wrong with a good old fashioned write up that packs as much details as yours. It really was an eye opener. I purchased the 8x32ed straight after reading your review and I am so glad I did

I think binoculars are a personal choice but sometimes not many people can travel the distance to test few binoculars on the day, this why I decided to shine some light on the capabilities of the under rated Svbony. Not every day we, birders and astronomers stumble  across such a fantastic value for money pair of optics. In my opinion, both binoculars 8x 10x are winners and I hope people out there looking for good air of optics at a reasonable price can give the Svbony a try.

Cheers 

• astroneil likes this

#34 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2021 - 04:52 PM

Not at all, it was a pleasure!

I've just gone and ordered up the 10 x 42 ED model. I mean how could I resist it for a retail price of £125.99 inclusive of delivery.smile.gif

I see the 8x 32 ED is only £89.99 now on amazon. That's a tenner cheaper than when I bought it?!

Should be here Thursday............happy days!

Neil.

• KennyJ likes this

#35 RLK1

RLK1

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:53 PM

They evidently came out with a new 10x50 model, too.

https://www.svbony.c...oculars/#F9351C

#36 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:30 PM

They evidently came out with a new 10x50 model, too.

https://www.svbony.c...oculars/#F9351C

Nice. It was announced July 23 2021 on SVBONY FB page and is listed for preorder on the US Amazon for USD 199.

The specs claim larger 17mm eye relief compared to the smaller models of 15mm. Unfortunately I could not find the weight specified.

For what it is worth one review of the 10x42 on the German Amazon page mentioned leaking focusser grease, veiling glare on overcast days and eyepiece blackouts as negatives. Maybe something to watch out for. That said veiling glare might be acceptable for astro binos? Should be easy to test near and away from the moon.

#37 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 08 September 2021 - 02:55 AM

The Japanese SVBony page has the following more complete specs for the SV202 10x50

Objective lens diameter: 50 mm

Magnification: 10 times

Prism glass material: BAK4

Complete multi-coating

Eyepiece diameter 24mm

Exit pupil distance (mm) 17mm

Exit pupil Ø4.88mm

Field of view 6.1 °

Field of view (1000 yards) 320 feet

Field of view (1000M) 106m

Minimum focal length: 2m

Diopter correction ± 3

Resolution ≤ 3.6 "

Pupillary distance: 56-73mm

Focus system center

Waterproof IPX7 (1.0 m / 30 minutes)

Compatible with tripod adapters

Net weight: 951g

Size: 165 * 148 * 66 mm

#38 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 September 2021 - 10:52 AM

That’s really  cool Neil! 

I look forward to your review of 10x42ed

I am also looking to getting the 10x50 for astronomy use. 

Exciting time!

#39 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2021 - 01:49 PM

That’s really  cool Neil! 

I look forward to your review of 10x42ed

I am also looking to getting the 10x50 for astronomy use. 

Exciting time!

Yep, it'll be fun test driving the 10 x 42 ED.

Would love to hear your opinions on the 10 x 50 too!

Cheers,

Neil.

#40 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:35 AM

Okeydokey,

The Sybony SV202 10x 42 ED arrived on Thursday last and I took it off for several walks to test it out. The following is a quick summary of what I found.

Like the 8 x 32 model, the build quality is excellent.

Eye cups have three positions and click rigidly into place. The focus wheel moves smoothly with no play. Takes 1.75 revolutions to go from one end of the focus travel to the other. 

The right eye dioptre ring moves smoothly and holds its position well.

Feels very solid in the hand. The armour is very nicely textured and very reminiscent of the Zeiss Terra ED line.

Optically: the instrument is very impressive. Very sharp, high contrast images, very natural colour rendition. Images show some CA ( and lateral colour off axis) on the highest contrast objects but nothing to be concerned about. Very similar to the CA levels I observed in a Leica Trinovid HD some time back.  Nice big sweet spot, good focus depth for a 10x 42 roof. Glare suppression is quite good; certainly acceptable given my own experiences with models costing two or three times the price of this binocular.

Close focus is advertised as 2.5m but I measured it at 2.8m

Weight without tethered covers is 698g(693g advertised).

Did a low light test comparing a Carson VP 10x 42 with the Svbony 10x 42 ED. The former does not have dielectric coatings or ED glass but the latter does. I expected to see a significant difference between these models in these low light tests, and sure enough the Svbony has the brighter images. 

Accessories are of good quality; it even comes with a case that actually fits the binocular with the strap attached.lol.gif

All in all, I would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality general purpose binocular. It will compete favourably with more established brands costing two or three times its retail cost.

Some images attached below for interest

Thanks, 

Neil.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9872.jpg
  • IMG_9874.jpg
  • IMG_9873.jpg

• Opticsfield likes this

#41 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:36 AM

Couple of more images:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9875.jpg
  • IMG_9871.jpg

• Opticsfield likes this

#42 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 September 2021 - 08:02 AM

Really excellent assessment Neil!

This Svbony ED line rocks, I am also very impressed by the picture and build quality of the 10x42 

The resolution and sharpness in just fantastic and on par with the likes of Zeiss Terra & Vortex viper 

I think the Svbony Ed models is a winner for anyone on a tight budget. 

• astroneil likes this

#43 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2021 - 01:35 PM

Really excellent assessment Neil!

This Svbony ED line rocks, I am also very impressed by the picture and build quality of the 10x42 

The resolution and sharpness in just fantastic and on par with the likes of Zeiss Terra & Vortex viper 

I think the Svbony Ed models is a winner for anyone on a tight budget. 

Good Evening,

I noticed you had a visit from a wicked youtube troll who was claiming these binos were rubbish. Unfortunately that comes with the territory. I left an appropriate comment for Hans.lol.gif

I enjoyed a long forest walk this afternoon and then a stroll by the river. Brought the 10 x 42 Svbony with me. The light was just perfect and I could see its full potential. Absolutely stunning performance! Beautiful, bright and razor sharp images.

I concur that these will compare favourably with good mid-tier binoculars. Indeed, having considered saving up for an alpha 10 x 42, this Svbony has given me serious pause.

I don't need one.

Regards,

Neil.

Ps. I include another picture for Hanslaugh.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9888.jpg

• Opticsfield likes this

#44 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 September 2021 - 04:20 PM

One final post concerning the 10 x 42 Svbony ED binocular:

Ad Astra:

One can tell more or less at a glance during daylight hours that a binocular( like this one) has a large sweet spot, but I've found its easier to measure on star fields at night.

Examining the bright yellow star, Capella, low down in the northeast at 21:45 local time, I was able to see that it remained pin sharp out to within~15 per cent of the distance to the field stop, beyond which point it started to bloat. But even at the field stop the bloating wasn't too bad. I consider this to be a very good result, especially for the very reasonable cost of the instrument. I believe this is attributed to the modest choice of field size used in the Svbony: 6.16 angular degrees. Making it wider would have ruined the aesthetics for me.

Other bright stars like Vega, Deneb, Altair and Arcturus, low in the west, showed their colours very faithfully. No CA was detected. 

The large and sprawling Alpha Persei Association (Melotte 20) looked magnificent in this 10 x 42, as did the Double Cluster a little higher up in the sky. I enjoyed lovely views of the Great Andromeda Galaxy, the Coathanger  asterism, the Engagement Ring, and I'll be away out later to visit the Pleiades & the Hyades.

Finally, observing mighty Jupiter low in the south southeast shortly before 10pm local time, I could easily resolve, by just handholding the binocular, all four Medicean Stars to the east of the Giant Planet.

I am very pleased with the performance of the Svbony 10 x 42 ED for star gazing vigils.

Thanks for your attention,

Neil.

• Opticsfield likes this

#45 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 September 2021 - 12:11 AM

Hi Neil, 

That’s incredible outcome of these Svbony, they remind me so much of the Zeiss Conquest HD! 

To be honest daytime viewing blew me away but the fact that this pair excel also at night is statement to all other major brand that you don’t need hundreds of pounds to a achieve Alpha level instrument.  

I also had a chance to see Andromeda with it and it looked bright despite my Bortle 6 sky. This Bino is a keeper and I am looking to enjoying many hours birding…..

• astroneil likes this

#46 grzybu

grzybu

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:21 AM

Hi,

I've received my pair few days ago and they are great. Little 8x32 Compared to my 3x more expensive 8x56 ED binos in daylight they show almost the same image, maybe even bit sharper with slightly bigger FOV. Of course they are dimmer, but it's not an issue in daylight. 

The only thing that I've found uncomfortable were the eyecups. I'm spoiled with my custom eyecups I make for all my binos, so I had to print new ones for new bino. Now it's super comfortable to use, with much softer material on eyecups and way better fit to my face.

I also had to print new dust cup for bigger eyecups. 

Looks like new bino will replace VisionKing 5x25 as grab'n'go binos. 

IMG_20210922_084154s.jpg

• astroneil, WWTech and ECP M42 like this

#47 astroneil

astroneil

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:16 AM

Good for you grzybu......love them batwings!

Cheers,

Neil.

• Opticsfield likes this

#48 Opticsfield

Opticsfield

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 September 2021 - 09:55 AM

Guys keep an eye for the Svbony 10x50ed reviews coming up soon. Stay tuned!

For more details on what the smaller sibling can do check out these YT vids

https://youtu.be/TZzCAB3B_O8

• spaceoddity likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics