•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do i open ASCOM Camera Chooser?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesilver

bluesilver

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:20 PM

HI,  sorry if i have got posted in the wrong section here.

I must be missing something very simple here,  but i am trying to find out how to actually open the ASCOM Camera Chooser 

I am running two  ZWO ASI cameras,  one for imaging ASI2600 and one for guiding ASI290 mini

This is the first time imaging with a ZWO ASI camera,  i have previously been using a DSLR to image with and the 290 mini for guiding.

So i  have just been through and updated to the latest version of ASCOM platform and the ASCOM driver to support ASI cameras as mine was a few years old,  and also been through and downloaded the latest native drivers for ASI cameras.

Software i am running is APT,  Phd2,  Stallerium,  and Sharpcap for polar alignment only 

So i am trying to find out how to open up this ASCOM Camera Chooser box.

I want to be able to choose from Highest Dynamic Range and Unity Gain and Lowest Read Noise.

The guide on ZWOs site tells me what i can do in the program,  but i just can't find out how to actually open it.

I must be missing something very basic here sorry.

If anyone can please help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 July 2021 - 06:53 PM

Moving from EAA to Astronomy Software & Computers for a better fit.

#3 terrypaula

terrypaula

Viking 1

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:10 PM

Is there a drop down arrow at one end of the chooser?  I suggest you read the documentation.

Edited by terrypaula, 20 July 2021 - 07:12 PM.

#4 bluesilver

bluesilver

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:51 PM

Sorry,  i mean how do i actually open the chooser,  I understand all the options in the chooser,  just can't find out how to actually open it.

Must be something very obvious that i am missing on how to actually open the ASCOM Camera Chooser.

#5 dswtan

dswtan

Viking 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:54 PM

How the ASCOM Camera Chooser is invoked probably depends on what software you're using to image with. You mention APT, so let's see how to do it in APT, v3.88. 

Here you go -- assuming everything is installed correctly, ZWO camera is plugged-in (USB), this is what I see on Windows 10:

1. Open APT
  2. Select Camera tab, top right.
  3. Hold Shift and click Connect just under the tab label, to force the Select Camera Type dialog to appear.
  4. Under the third item, CCD/CMOS Camera, select from the popup menu "ASCOM Camera" (to select the ASCOM driver for the ZWO camera) -- NOT "ZWO Camera" (which would select the native ZWO drivers, not ASCOM). This might be the confusing step.
  5. Hit Ok. 
  6. Voila, the ASCOM Camera Chooser will appear. 

If you are wanting to do this in order to get to the preset gain settings that you mention, then the remaining steps are:

1. Select ASI Camera 1 or 2 (which one may depend on your set-up). 
  2. Hit Properties -- which gets you to the ASICamera Setup dialog. 
  3. Under Preset, you see the options like unity, highest dynamic range, etc. 
  4. Hit Ok to proceed. 

If you want to change the settings again, remember to hit Shift-Connect in the Camera tab, as just hitting Connect bypasses the above (for efficiency, I assume). 

#6 bluesilver

bluesilver

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 05:39 PM

Thanks heaps,  greatly appreciated.

The Shift and click connect was the part i was missing,  i was sure i was missing something fairly simple there.

Great step through instructions also.

Very much appreciate the help.

Thanks.

• dswtan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics