•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do you protect "your" solar filter?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mrflibbles

mrflibbles

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:32 AM

So I recently got a solar filter and haven't even used it yet. (there's so much smoke I cant even see the sun! .... lol.gif  ........frown.gif  )

The film is "looks" delicate, and if it gets damaged your not supped to use it. So how do you keep your solar filter from damage?

I tied Googling using several different search terms, but I'm not getting any helpful results. Just to be clear I have a 200mm Astomania solar filter, that fits a 180mm reflector.

Right now the only thing I can do is keep the cardboard box it came in. Not the most sturdy option, but better than nothing. Or is it adequate?

DIY? repurpose another container? Suggestions?

Edited by mrflibbles, 21 July 2021 - 03:40 PM.

• retroman2 likes this

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:10 AM

Some years back we made a last minute plan to observe a solar eclipse from Northern Nevada. Apparently the rest of the US had a similar idea and white light filters were suddenly very scarce. I found a company that sold film in 8 x10 sheets. It arrived in an envelope between two sheets of thin cardboard. I made up three filters and used them again for the 2012 transit of Venus. 

The film is pretty tough. The largest filter lived in a plastic food container, but the smaller ones just sat in drawers or on a desk. Now you can see some creases, scratches and small dents, but they are all still serviceable. I think that with some care they can be used for the next transit on Dec. 11, 2117.

Store your filters however seems best and easiest to you. I found no advantage in a plastic food storage container vs. a plastic storage bag vs just leaving it a drawer with other astro parts. 

Edited by barbarosa, 21 July 2021 - 08:58 AM.

• retroman2 and mrflibbles like this

#3 laurelg9

laurelg9

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dayton, OH, USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

I bought a solar filter a few weeks ago because, well, it doesn't get dark until way after my bedtime, and I've enjoyed watching the sunspots on the sun.  I'm keeping it currently in the box it came in, wrapped in the paper and put back into the plastic bag.  I'm trying to be very careful not to touch it, though I don't know if that's important or not.  

• mrflibbles likes this

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:02 AM

So I recently got a solar filter and haven't even used it yet. (there's so much smoke I cant even see the sun! .... lol.gif  ........frown.gif  )

The film is delicate,and if it gets damaged your not supped to use it. So how do you keep your solar filter from damage?

I tied Googling using several different search terms, but I'm not getting any helpful results. Just to be clear I have a 200mm Astomania solar filter, that fits a 180mm reflector.

Right now the only thing I can do is keep the cardboard box it came in. Not the most sturdy option, but better than nothing. Or is it adequate?

Use the box stored in a safe place unless kids are playing with it  They aren't that delicate, even my Baader Solar Film filters can be used with pin holes, read their site and my solar wedges are rock solid so treat them like all your other gear

• Jon Isaacs, barbarosa and mrflibbles like this

#5 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:10 PM

I keep mine in the cardboard boxes they came in. In the house they are on the top shelf in my equipment room, but when I travel they are kept in the cabinet over the bed in my travel trailer. I do have one I made using solar film for an 80mm refractor that fits nicely inside a plastic Maxwell House can.

• barbarosa and mrflibbles like this

#6 Great Attractor

Great Attractor

Vendor - ImPPG Imaging Software

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:42 PM

I use plastic food containers, my oldest current filter is perhaps 9 years old and still looks very good.

The film is delicate

As others wrote, it's not - try to tear an unused piece sometime wink.gif
  • steveward53, MalVeauX and mrflibbles like this

#7 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:17 PM

Below are photo's of the little wooden box I use to store my solar filter.

Attached Thumbnails

• filter2.JPG
  • filter case.JPG

• viewer and mrflibbles like this

#8 mrflibbles

mrflibbles

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:27 PM

Below are photo's of the little wooden box I use to store my solar filter.

Nice, did you DIY that? That is awesome

Edited by mrflibbles, 21 July 2021 - 03:38 PM.

• steve t likes this

#9 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:33 PM

I keep mine in a plastic bag, and that inside a sturdy cardboard box. I keep it on an upper shelf so that nothing can fall on it. Nothing has happened in the last 20 years (knock on wood).
  • mrflibbles likes this

#10 mrflibbles

mrflibbles

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:36 PM

I use plastic food containers, my oldest current filter is perhaps 9 years old and still looks very good.

As others wrote, it's not - try to tear an unused piece sometime wink.gif

I guess it just "looks" more delicate than it is. Good to know. 

#11 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:32 PM

Nice, did you DIY that? That is awesome

Thanks, mrfibbles

I've had it for several years, and it was a custom, one off, made by a company called "Case for Astronomy." 

Steve T

• mrflibbles likes this

#12 chemman

chemman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:11 PM

The film is "looks" delicate, and if it gets damaged your not supped to use it. So how do you keep your solar filter from damage?

I have a Baader film in the box it was shipped in and it has lasted for 6 or 7 years, just like new.  It is big, for a Meade 2080 Blue Tube SCT.

Chuck

Edited by chemman, 21 July 2021 - 09:12 PM.

• mrflibbles likes this

#13 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:23 AM

I make my own solar filters using Baader film.  For storage, I use a smaller size of this hard CD storage cases I got at Walmart for my 4"; my 6" filter is stored in my eyepiece case, wrapped in soft cloth.

• mrflibbles likes this

#14 Chilihead

Chilihead

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Oklahoma

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:48 AM

My wife has some decorative hat boxes in the bedroom. I just store my solar filters in there.

• wrvond and mrflibbles like this

#15 mrflibbles

mrflibbles

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:27 PM

My wife has some decorative hat boxes in the bedroom. I just store my solar filters in there.

Good idea

I also had some minor success looking up 25cm square wood boxes. An empty cigar box might do the trick

#16 mrflibbles

mrflibbles

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:29 PM

I make my own solar filters using Baader film.  For storage, I use a smaller size of this hard CD storage cases I got at Walmart for my 4"; my 6" filter is stored in my eyepiece case, wrapped in soft cloth.

Good idea for smaller size filters. Mine is 200mm + a few extra mm for the adjustment screws.
I wonder if an old laser disc case would work lol.gif

#17 mrflibbles

mrflibbles

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:34 PM

Thanks, mrfibbles
I've had it for several years, and it was a custom, one off, made by a company called "Case for Astronomy." 
Steve T

They don't have very much stock in the etsy store, but that is some very quality wood workmanship, for a reasonable price. I might bookmark that and check back later

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics