•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Have I created a Mongrel, or what?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:18 AM

I obviously don't intend to use this as a normal binocular. I will afocally attach it to the objectives of my ANVIS-9 night vision binocular, which by itself is 1x25. The 40mm plossls result in an exit pupil of ~15.5mm, so that would make the combination about 3.25x50, which will be a great midpoint magnification between the 1x25 and my 7x60. I chose this Zeiss West 7x50 because it is nice and short, which makes the combination of the two binoculars easier to handle, and it also offers a shorter focal length than a typical 7x50. Should be fun! smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6857.JPG

• Jon Isaacs, Astrojensen, Grimnir and 8 others like this

#2 WALL.E

WALL.E

Ranger 4

• Loc: Grand Rapids Mi.

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:37 AM

Sire,

Indeed, what have you created?

You must tell us more soon!

Eric

• SMark likes this

#3 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:52 AM

est mag? est FOV, est ER? How are they held in place? tell me , tell me , tell me!! Anyone that messes with a classic  like that- well sheesh!! I'm sure it's all reversible just sheesh!  Regards, Pat

• SMark likes this

#4 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:42 PM

est mag? est FOV, est ER? How are they held in place? tell me , tell me , tell me!! Anyone that messes with a classic  like that- well sheesh!! I'm sure it's all reversible just sheesh!  Regards, Pat

Yeah, it's easy enough to just screw the original eyepieces back in, but just the idea of messing with a near mint classic like this is going to upset a few folks. But it just seemed to fit the bill for the application perfectly. I mean, the only other short, stocky 7x50 that I have is a Mark 41. And the Mark 41 outranks the Zeiss in my catalog. And I use the Mark 41 all the time, and my only plans for the Zeiss was to clean it up and sell it. So there you have it. 

3.25x is just about perfect for me. Mating the ANVIS-9 with my Bushnell 7x60 is a bit heavy, though also very nice, but any more magnification than that and the image doesn't achieve as much of a brightness boost from the Gen 3 night vision tubes unless it can also correspond to a much larger objective to reach a faster focal ratio. I do like using the ANVIS-9 with my APM 100 @ 14x also using 40mm plossls. But the Zeiss gives me a manageable weight and size, plus a very fast focal ratio thanx to the air spaced objectives.

And since I can focus the ANVIS-9, I don't need the Zeiss to focus. Though I will need to get it "into the range" for the ANVIS-9. As it appears in the pic, it is in range, but just barely. I've been trying to come up with a workable 3x-4x combo for months and this one just sort of fell into my lap. 

• ihf likes this

#5 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:48 PM

Unholy alliance - german/ japanese/chinese optics all in one bino- is nothing sacred!??? Begone I saaaaaaaaaylol.gif  Meanwhile I'll look at the 4x21 bushnell  xtrawide sitting on my counter gathering dustlol.gif Of course I have crappy skies ... Regards, Pat

• SMark likes this

#6 MrZoomZoom2017

MrZoomZoom2017

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cerritos, CA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:07 PM

Maybe they should be called Frankenoculars?  Or Zeissensteins waytogo.gif...

Sounds better than mongrel or mutt - don't you think?

Cheers,

Tim

• SMark and Echolight like this

#7 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 03:53 PM

Zeissenstein… I like that!
  • MrZoomZoom2017 likes this

#8 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 05:03 PM

Unfortunately I can only find 25mm Zeiss Ploessls, otherwise you could keep it in the family.

• SMark likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics