•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adjusting altitude scale on Meade GEM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 atsidor

atsidor

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:22 AM

I recently got my LX85 mount up and running (as you all may know from a prior thread). I've discovered that the altitude scale on the mount is pretty far off. I say this because I leveled the tripod, put the mount in it's home position, and measured the angle of the dovetail saddle. I did all of this with a digital protractor/inclinometer to make sure it was (fairly) precise. 

Turns out the digital protractor read about ~5-6 degrees lower than the scale on the mount. I know, I know... these scales are not the most accurate but this seems pretty far off. Am I missing a larger issue here?

I would like to get the scale tuned a little closer to actual (I realize there are other solutions here but I'm a little bit of a perfectionist). Does anyone have any experience adjusting this on a Meade GEM? I assume other models are probably similar. I attached pictures. There are two caps on either side - one with the altitude scale and one without. It seems like one or both of these could be pried off but not sure. I tried but didn't want to apply too much force. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1496.jpg
  • IMG_1495.jpg

#2 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:01 PM

Two things you can do:

1. Check the scale using Polaris.

2. Move the arrow sticker.

#3 atsidor

atsidor

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:17 PM

2. Move the arrow sticker.

Duh! Can't believe I didn't think of that. That is a much easier solution :)

And good idea to check with Polaris. I will confirm with that.

• wrvond likes this

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:19 PM

Pretty sure that is just a plastic plug glued into the hole there based on other Meade models. Trick is melting the glue a little to aid in prying it out so you don't crack the plug.

#5 Andynator

Andynator

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 01:23 PM

It's a "set it and forget it" thing for me. Even traveling a few counties any direction isn't going to make a meaningful change when you're tweaking it after setting up and during alignment (I use Polemaster).

#6 atsidor

atsidor

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:01 PM

Pretty sure that is just a plastic plug glued into the hole there based on other Meade models. Trick is melting the glue a little to aid in prying it out so you don't crack the plug.

Thank you - good tip. These plugs are definitely metal which should be easier. I could try heating up with a hair dryer to see if I can loosen up the glue.

It's a "set it and forget it" thing for me. Even traveling a few counties any direction isn't going to make a meaningful change when you're tweaking it after setting up and during alignment (I use Polemaster).

Understood and I agree. My use case is that I don't always have a view of the pole and want to get "close enough" for quick visual sessions / go-tos. Maybe there's another approach to dial in alignment that's quick though?

#7 Andynator

Andynator

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:54 PM

Understood and I agree. My use case is that I don't always have a view of the pole and want to get "close enough" for quick visual sessions / go-tos. Maybe there's another approach to dial in alignment that's quick though?

I just bore-sight through the empty hole where the polar scope would be (if it was installed) and once I can see Polaris anywhere in the view, that's aligned enough for me! (for visual observation)

#8 atsidor

atsidor

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:52 PM

Quick update: I checked the angle measurement against Polaris and it's definitely off. And unfortunately the sticker is more robust than I thought, and it's in a small indentation in the metal, so it would make moving it a bit awkward. Not impossible but not ideal. Anyway, I think I'll just be content to add ~5 deg to whatever my latitude is and call it good, rather than go messing around any further with the mount.

#9 jeff clarke

jeff clarke

Lift Off

• Loc: Ojai, CA, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:02 PM

With a label-maker, you could overlay the sticker with a new index mark.

Jeff

#10 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:57 PM

With a label-maker, you could overlay the sticker with a new index mark.

Jeff

Or make a simple mark with a Sharpie...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics