•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New red screens found for tables and smart phones.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 21 July 2021 - 02:33 PM

I found an excellent product for adding red screens to tables and smart phones, probably computer screens also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SHSPTT

Its very easy to lay over your screens and cut afterwards with a scissors. I leave enough space on my tables so I just fold the extra material back behind my tables, then add my cases to my tables to keep the edges in place. Touch screens are not effect by this material so your touch screen still is sensitive to your touch.
It also peels off easy to either reposition it or remove. It sticks well but doesn't leave residue, so save the paper you peeled of of it to store your screen once you're done using it. Long term use I cant comment on since I've only had this for a week so far.
If you need a darker red,  you can add another layer, even several layers, and also dim you screens brightness. I just use one layer on my table for my Stellarium Star program but I use several layers on my second table that uses with my Excel spread sheet for my observing list.
You can push out bubbles with your finger if  you get any, or use the supplied squeegee. In my case, bubbles don't effect me because I only use this at night under dark skies. I have two 10" tables i only use for astronomy one mounted on top of another on a small table tripod. I just need the red screen to preserve my night vision.

This is the tablet holder I use when I'm out with my gear and also, the second tablet holder I've attached below the first one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W4G3RMY/

https://www.amazon.c...duct/B07LCJ83S7

The red screen is an excellent product!

Ralph / Sacramento

• turtle86 and cmooney91 like this

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:25 PM

Ralph:

Thanks. I'm looking for something like that. Right now I'm using Rubylith taped in place on one tablet and the no longer available Sirius Astro Extra Dark Cling on another. Have you tried either of these? 

Any chance you can post a photo? 

Jon

#3 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:21 PM

I would be glad if a new source is available. However, I really need to see a comparison to either rubylith or the extra dark cling film.  There are different levels of red and I know those work well.  I have also purchased a few options that really weren’t “red” enough.

• Jon Isaacs and lphilpot like this

#4 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:06 AM

I carefully guard my remaining pieces of X-tra Dark cling. I'm down to only a couple - Sure hope they keep on sticking. :)  They're the perfect combination of color and density. Plus, they're designed to be applied and removed.

#5 blakesphere

blakesphere

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:31 AM

I continue to buy red film by Lee Filters or Rosco from local theatre supply companies.

Great colour selections, robust, single sheet plastic, and works on touch-pressure or capacitance screens.

#6 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:08 PM

I have the Sirius Astro Extra Dark Cling red screen film for my smart phone and 8" tablet but now with 2 larger 10" tables and the Sirius Astro Extra Dark Cling is no longer available, this is my answer to keeping my screen safe. I can post photos soon on this but I haven't been out to a dark site or tried it in a closet to see how dark it is. I know in my back yard, when running Excel, the white back ground is still too bright for one layer, so I'll try a second layer soon. 

This material does cling on, and it can peel off and be reused, but its not as efficient as the sticky Sirius Astro Extra Dark Cling screens they use to sell.

Overall, so far, I like this new screen because it can cling and wrap around the bezel of my tablets and fold back so then my rubber case can go on afterwards and everything stays tight and in place. 

I use one tablet only for stellarium, and one layer is fine for this. My other tablet uses Excel for my lists of observable objects, so I think that could need several layers, especially at a dark site.

On my computers, I use transparent red screen plasteic material from Taps Plastics I attach to my 17" laptop with electrical tape. I learns this from my dark sky dob friends. In my back yard, I use two layers of this material but at my dark site I travel to, I use a hard red plastic screen I prefer to use. It seems very very dark for back yard use, but at my dark site location, its perfect and attaches by a velcro strap that wraps around the back of my laptop screen. 

.Ralph

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:15 PM

Rubylith 7.5 x 11 inch sheets are available from a local art supply store for under $3 USD. They ship to US addresses. This is what I have used for many years. Google it and you'll find the source store (Dick Blick) quickly.

#8 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:03 PM

I used Rubylith years ago, but as a graphic designer in the process of pre-press print art preparation (i.e., it's intended application). Back then it was translucent, not transparent. Has it changed? Please note I'm referring to true Rubylith, not Ulanocut or other alterative products.

#9 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:18 PM

Yes, Rubylith is only translucent (when unpeeled).  But I find that ready doesn’t matter.  It doesn’t seem to hurt resolution in a significant way. It is especially unnoticeable at night.

#10 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:28 PM

Thanks. I did prepress work (and other duties) from 1982 to 1997. It's been a while.  :)

#11 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:43 PM

Speaking of Rubylith, the trick is figuring out how to attach it.  You can use non-aggressive tape or sometimes you can cut it to fit under the edges of a case.

What I did most of the time was to get some Grafix Clear Static Cling Vinyl and use it as a glue between the Rubylith and the glass.  Just cut a piece the same size as the Rubylith and press it onto it.  Then press the two layers onto the glass.  You can peel both layers off as a unit when you are done for the night.  I did this all the time before I discovered the (no longer available)  X-tra Dark Static Cling.  

• lphilpot likes this

#12 Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Apollo

• Loc: Bolingbrook

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:37 PM

Why doesn't anyone make an app for phones and tablets like EOS backyard Red. Just a quick, lightweight app that turns the screen red and let you adjust its brightness.

#13 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:19 PM

Apple has the ability to redden the screen built-in on iOS.  On Android there are several apps that do this as well.  

However, most of Apple’s tablets and many of their phones use LED displays.  These leak light around the pixels so that when viewing the screen at an angle there is a white glow that comes off it even if the display is red.  You don’t notice it much face on, but it is still there and damages night vision.  

My understanding is that OLED displays such as used in most Android devices don’t have this problem.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:46 AM

Apple has the ability to redden the screen built-in on iOS.  On Android there are several apps that do this as well.  

However, most of Apple’s tablets and many of their phones use LED displays.  These leak light around the pixels so that when viewing the screen at an angle there is a white glow that comes off it even if the display is red.  You don’t notice it much face on, but it is still there and damages night vision.  

My understanding is that OLED displays such as used in most Android devices don’t have this problem.

Many Android phones have AMOLED screens but very few tablets.  The problem with Android is that even with AMOLED screens, there is no real global red control so it's always possible to get accidentally flashed or that some button is white.  

I find a red film screen of some sort mandatory.  In my opinion, the Ultra Dark Cling is the best, but it's no longer available. Maybe someone could contact retired owner of Sirius Astro Products and he could let us know where to get the actual film, what was actually used.

I have a tablet that dedicated to SkySafari and I have the film taped to the tablet and never remove it.

Jon 

#15 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:10 AM

Many Android phones have AMOLED screens but very few tablets.  The problem with Android is that even with AMOLED screens, there is no real global red control so it's always possible to get accidentally flashed or that some button is white.  

I find a red film screen of some sort mandatory.  In my opinion, the Ultra Dark Cling is the best, but it's no longer available. Maybe someone could contact retired owner of Sirius Astro Products and he could let us know where to get the actual film, what was actually used.

I have a tablet that dedicated to SkySafari and I have the film taped to the tablet and never remove it.

Jon 

In the case of iOS (and macOS as well) there is a standard option called 'Color filters' which you can set to red only once and everytime you can switch it on or off.

Android does not have such an option and the 3rd party 'screen filter' or 'twilight' apps are just fake, they put a virtual red overlay over the screen which results in less contrasty images.

For making a really red screen on Android, you need to root your device, unlike iOS. I have done that and use an app called 'CF Lumen' (Chainfire) and that works awesome and no white light is leaking from the pixels (I have a Oneplus 6).

So every time when I observe or doing astrophotography (using an app controlling my camera) I turn on this 'red screen'.

An extra option is using red goggles which you can use when you use your smartphone during observing. These sell for about $7. I use them when I walk the well-lit indoors to pick up an item during an observing session to keep my night vision.

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:29 AM

In the case of iOS (and macOS as well) there is a standard option called 'Color filters' which you can set to red only once and everytime you can switch it on or off.

Android does not have such an option and the 3rd party 'screen filter' or 'twilight' apps are just fake, they put a virtual red overlay over the screen which results in less contrasty images.

For making a really red screen on Android, you need to root your device, unlike iOS. I have done that and use an app called 'CF Lumen' (Chainfire) and that works awesome and no white light is leaking from the pixels (I have a Oneplus 6).

So every time when I observe or doing astrophotography (using an app controlling my camera) I turn on this 'red screen'.

An extra option is using red goggles which you can use when you use your smartphone during observing. These sell for about $7. I use them when I walk the well-lit indoors to pick up an item during an observing session to keep my night vision.

As was noted, unless your iOS has an AMOLED screen, the pixels leak white light so one needs a red film for that reason. 

I use tablets for my dark sky observing and I am not willing to invest in an AMOLED tablet, to easy break the screen.. 

I did use red goggles for a while but had to quit, they seemed to attract all the lady astronomers and I couldn't get any observing done.. :)

Goggles Jon.jpg

Jon

• btschumy, lphilpot and blakesphere like this

#17 Tempus

Tempus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Anna Tx

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:39 AM

Maybe someone could contact retired owner of Sirius Astro Products and he could let us know where to get the actual film, what was actually used.

John, I actually asked him. He told me he created the film himself in his basement. My guess is that he worked up the appropriate red dye tint and colored clear cling film.

Edited by Tempus, 24 July 2021 - 07:40 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:35 PM

John, I actually asked him. He told me he created the film himself in his basement. My guess is that he worked up the appropriate red dye tint and colored clear cling film.

:goodjob:

Darn it all.. I thought he probably bought it somewhere.

Jon

#19 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:44 PM

I wonder if, now that he's retired, he'd be interested in revealing (selling?) his secret recipe?  :)  There's obviously a demand for it, albeit small.

#20 blakesphere

blakesphere

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:21 PM

You CAN find pre-made glasses...

When I bought my laser level from my local Canadian Tire and Telescope Accessories store, it came with red wrap-around glasses. Now they no longer live in the laser level case. Hmmm.

And a friend of mine gave me some glasses. Look like regular sunglasses save the red lenses. The donor worked at a pharma and apparently they use these in some of their labs.

I always use (theatre) red film on my phones, tablets, netbooks, laptops, and full computer monitors, in addition to red mode or night mode settings. I really like the double attenuation if I'm doing deep sky visual observing. I want maximum dark adaptation.

I wear the red glasses when I'm going to and fro, from observatory to house or whatever, to avoid accidents.

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 25 July 2021 - 05:14 AM

You CAN find pre-made glasses...

When I bought my laser level from my local Canadian Tire and Telescope Accessories store, it came with red wrap-around glasses. Now they no longer live in the laser level case. Hmmm.

And a friend of mine gave me some glasses. Look like regular sunglasses save the red lenses. The donor worked at a pharma and apparently they use these in some of their labs.

I always use (theatre) red film on my phones, tablets, netbooks, laptops, and full computer monitors, in addition to red mode or night mode settings. I really like the double attenuation if I'm doing deep sky visual observing. I want maximum dark adaptation.

I wear the red glasses when I'm going to and fro, from observatory to house or whatever, to avoid accidents.

I used red goggles for a while but now use red film.  The problem with goggles and glasses is that I can't look back and forth between the tablet and the sky without putting them on and taking them off.  

I bought some sort of red film meant for lighting but it wasn't dark enough.. 

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics