•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binocular advice - 82 mm vs 100 mm

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted Yesterday, 08:52 AM

10 inches longer, was that a typo? If that isn't substantially longer, I don't know what is.

#27 DPT

DPT

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 AM

The Oberwerk site states the Series 5000 head/tripod combo as being rated for binoculars up to 16 pounds.  Sounds like it should work for the OB 25x100 Deluxes as they are listed at 10 pounds.

• Fiske likes this

#28 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted Yesterday, 10:22 AM

i think the old saying

"the best telescope is the one you use the most"

applies to binoculars, and all optics.

The big, heavy, complex tasks

are used less than the small, light, portable tasks.

My spotting scope rest while I use the IS more,

telescopes rest while I use the binoculars.

my best argument for the 82mm binos over 100mms

edj

Edited by edwincjones, Yesterday, 10:23 AM.

• MT4 likes this

#29 Fiske

Fiske

Gemini

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted Yesterday, 02:37 PM

10 inches longer, was that a typo? If that isn't substantially longer, I don't know what is.

I'll just tell you that I own both the 82XL and the 100XL and handling the 100 is a lot more equivalent to the 82 than I thought it would be. I imagined the 100 would require a more substantial mount. It does not. And that it would be more cumbersome to set up. It is not. Compared with a telescope, either instrument is a lot closer to grab and go.

Fiske

Edited by Fiske, Yesterday, 02:40 PM.

• MT4 likes this

#30 jprideaux

jprideaux

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted Yesterday, 03:09 PM

i think the old saying

"the best telescope is the one you use the most"

applies to binoculars, and all optics.

The big, heavy, complex tasks

are used less than the small, light, portable tasks.

My spotting scope rest while I use the IS more,

telescopes rest while I use the binoculars.

my best argument for the 82mm binos over 100mms

edj

Yes, I have found that for a lot of these "what should I get" astronomy questions there are often multiple right answers!  It just depends on what criteria is most important to the person buying the item.  Different things are important to different people.  Personally, I do tend to favor smaller, lighter things that I would use more over bigger heavier things that I won't use as much...  What is too small or too big (or heavy) varies from individual to individual.  Sometimes you may not really know for yourself until after you get something and then see how much you end-up using it after a period of time.  I have a fairly good idea what works for me but that may not apply for others.

• oldmanrick, ECP M42 and MT4 like this

#31 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Yes, I have found that for a lot of these "what should I get" astronomy questions there are often multiple right answers!  It just depends on what criteria is most important to the person buying the item.  Different things are important to different people.  Personally, I do tend to favor smaller, lighter things that I would use more over bigger heavier things that I won't use as much...  What is too small or too big (or heavy) varies from individual to individual.  Sometimes you may not really know for yourself until after you get something and then see how much you end-up using it after a period of time.  I have a fairly good idea what works for me but that may not apply for others.

I am one who has a great desire to try new equipment that I think should perform better than what I have, but really don't have the budget to be able to try, or the first hand knowledge to know whether every new desirable piece of equipment that comes along will be something that will work as expected.  I went through a lot of "should I get it or not" personal questioning exercises prior to ordering the APM 150 BT.  What I thought was a "good deal" on one showed up, and I made a quick decision to pull the trigger.  I have not regretted it for a second. 

Even though that piece of equipment may not have lived up to all of the expectations I had, it is good enough that I don't foresee the day that it won't be a major part of my arsenal.  Prior to ordering, I had figured out that I could build a wheeled dolly for it, and store it in my shop intact, so the weight and size problem was diminished to almost nothing.  I had the cash at the time to buy it and the mount was included.  I also would need a very good tripod, but could cover that in my budget.  

Now it's all together and being used more than any of my other astro instruments, except for the image stabilized hand-held binoculars which are used everyday for viewing wildlife, birds, interesting aircraft, etc.

I know it was a big investment, but when there is a burning desire, I've always said that "when there is a will there is a way".

Rick

• jprideaux and ihf like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics