•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Farpoint UBM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deepskynorm

deepskynorm

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:44 PM

Has anyone purchased a Farpoint Universal Binocular Mount (UBM) recently? I believe they are a "continuation" of the Universal Astronomics Bino Mount which is no longer available.

While these mounts seem to be well regarded performance wise, the cosmetics, namely the welds, were a rather rough looking. I know this has no effect on it doing what it was designed to do....but just didn't look that great.

Any thoughts will be welcome.

#2 gwd

gwd

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PyeongTaek ROK

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:59 PM

I've had one for a few months now.   The Oberwerk Deluxe 25x100 seems to be near the limit of the weight it can handle.   There is a little bit of looseness at some of the joints.    Tightening the bolts helps.   It handles my Zeiss 20x60 nicely, that is what I got it for.  Maybe I need different counter weights for the Oberwerk, I just extend the weight arm out to balance the heavier optics.  

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:56 PM

It's most useful in the dark. It's unlikely you're going to be much involved in weld inspection when the mount's most useful.

• demorcef likes this

#4 Nobodo

Nobodo

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rural Douglas County, Colorado, USA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:20 PM

I have one, and also have the orion monster parallelogram.  The Orion is a better product, and larger too.  

I have the UBM on an OB 5000 tripod, and my OB 25x100 Deluxe are at the upper limit for this combo.  The welds aren't the prettiest, but functional.  If you get one, make sure to get the swing hinge, too.

Edited by Nobodo, 22 July 2021 - 02:31 PM.

#5 deepskynorm

deepskynorm

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:28 PM

George,

Thank you for your response.

I would be using it with Fujinon 10 x 70's...definitely lighter than yours (5# +/-) so it may do well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics