•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smokes effect on planetary observing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer

oldtimer

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:15 PM

What effects do you see?

#2 GIFTED1570

GIFTED1570

Mariner 2

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:38 PM

depending on how bad the smoke is it could be as bad as a cloud but low levels of smoke dust sometimes act as a filter and kind of helps, right now by Las Vegas NV the smoke from CA is causing blurriness 

#3 DirtyRod

DirtyRod

Mariner 2

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:40 PM

I see a yellow tint to some of my images depending on how bad it is. Obviously affects seeing in general as well. 

#4 Redbetter

Redbetter

Voyager 1

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:09 AM

What effects do you see?

Depends on how low the planet is and which direction the smoke haze is thickest.  Last Fall Jupiter and Saturn were so low as to be almost extincted completely visually by smoke.  Saturn was frequently lost, while Jupiter was seen only feebly much of the time.  I was not viewing them much by this point.  When dimmed to that degree the detail was also lacking.  This is similar to/but not quite the same as viewing planets through cloud where they fade to a ghostly gray scale.  With smoke and low in the sky it is more of ghostly orange scale.  

On the other hand, Mars was up high and benefited greatly from the smoke dimming.  It didn't have as much extinction because I was not viewing it through as many air masses.  The served very much like a red 25 or 23 filter, which improved surface contrast and reduced the deleterious scattering of blue wavelengths.  The smoke acted as a blanket to thermally stabilize they valley air, which is usually roiling and disturbed even when the jet stream is slow.  This resulted in some of the best seeing I have had in the back yard here.   And when the high smoke would begin to dissipate during the same sessions, the seeing would begin gradually degrading with it.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics