•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY drivers and Sharpcap = Poo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 21 July 2021 - 09:54 PM

So it seems like every time I go to use Sharpcap as of late it has problems communicating with my QHY cameras (talks to Zwo cams just fine). I'll set an exposure length and it just keeps going and going or the gain doesn't seem to work. Usually fixing this means either unplugging and replugging in my QHY camera usb cable, restarting Sharpcap, Restarting my pc or a combination of both. Sometimes it works fixes quickly and sometimes it takes several attempts. Once it 'takes everything is fine but it is getting to be a royal pain. It have tried both Shaarpcap 3.2 and 4.0 - doesn't matter.

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:37 PM

Try connecting directly to your computer with a 3 foot USB 3 cable. I bet it works just fine.If so, it's your USB topology and/or the QHY driver and not sharpcap. If not, then not. 

Also, check the latest QHY driver release - they claim to have improved USB 3 connections. YMMV.

Rgrds-Ross

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:43 PM

Are you using the current QHY drivers?  Also the current ASCOM release?

#4 1DegreeN

1DegreeN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Prachinburi, Thailand

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:45 PM

Problem could be different versions of the QHY SDK - qhyccd.dll - being used by SharpCap vs other apps. SharpCap includes a version of this DLL in their installation package and it sits in the SharpCap program folder. It used to be the case that when QHY released new drivers, you had to manually copy the latest version of this DLL over to the other apps (e.g. ASCOM, SharpCap, PHD2) which also used it, to ensure the same version was in use by all apps. However the latest QHY driver installation package now attempts to do this copy for you. 

• psandelle likes this

#5 Wilsil

Wilsil

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, WA AUSTRALIA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:08 AM

Are you using the native drivers?

I am using Sharpcap for PA with the QHY268M without any issues.

#6 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:32 AM

I will try re d/l the QHY drivers / SDK and check my ASCOM version but I thought I was up to date

#7 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:28 AM

To be clear, the ASCOM platform is only necessary if you are using ASCOM drivers. If you are using software the employs the native drivers, you are using the SDK. My memory tells me that SharpCap works either way. 

Rgrds-Ross

#8 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:49 AM

To be clear, the ASCOM platform is only necessary if you are using ASCOM drivers. If you are using software the employs the native drivers, you are using the SDK. My memory tells me that SharpCap works either way. 

Rgrds-Ross

Thanks , I choose QHY 183 in the drop down menu and not ASCOM so I should be using the QHY drivers. I hadn't considered an issue with the USB hub but I will eliminate that and see if the issue presents. I am able to get it sorted out each time after some hassle it is just annoying.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics