•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

affordable 6" apo options

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:08 PM

This is the only option I can come up w as "affordable."  Anything above this price range by much I am feeling like may be too deep down the refractor rabbit hole, but still my concern is, spending more than $6k and getting, cheapy glass?     I say that because I have the ES 127 FCD100 but I started with the FCD1 version and from day one, wanted "better glass," and so I traded up. But is it worth it get get a $6k+ imaging refractor that may not have a great strehl and could have false color? Perhaps i should consider the SW Esprit. 

https://explorescien...in-carbon-fiber

• teashea likes this

#2 Gregg Carter

Gregg Carter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern New Mexico

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:13 PM

Here is one to consider, Astro-Tech AT152EDT F/8 Triplet, sold by our forum sponsor: 

https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

Edited by Gregg Carter, 21 July 2021 - 10:15 PM.

• Jon_Doh and ShaulaB like this

#3 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:15 PM

Here is one to consider, Astro-Tech AT152EDT F/8 Triplet, sold by our forum sponsor: 

https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

certainly is affordable but is it in the "get what you pay for  zone?" 

edit

I get the feeling this might be a fine scope for planetary and even some, how do people refer to this hobby.. "work,"  good for "visual work."   But if it is a job of false color than no thanks. I doubt it would be since there are three pieces of glass. 

When  I consider the "affordable" lineup my mind strays to consider if I should be obscene and get a more premium item but I am not sure if it matters or not. 

Edited by Ballyhoo, 21 July 2021 - 10:19 PM.

#4 Gregg Carter

Gregg Carter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern New Mexico

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:20 PM

I don't own one, but I know that the Astro-Tech scopes get excellent reviews, and thought you should at least know about it.  I would think that you'll get some posts from owners of their telescopes.

Stellarvue also has a 6-inch refractor, but I don't know the price.  

Edited by Gregg Carter, 21 July 2021 - 10:20 PM.

#5 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:27 PM

I don't own one, but I know that the Astro-Tech scopes get excellent reviews, and thought you should at least know about it.  I would think that you'll get some posts from owners of their telescopes.

Stellarvue also has a 6-inch refractor, but I don't know the price.  

oh ST is not cheap except the "essential" line.   Yea I would love some reviews on the AT. You know among us there are the utilitarian and the refractor snobs and some of us are one or the other depending on the time of day or night or side of bed awoken from.  LOL 50 percent of these threads are premium versus "everything else" discussion. But the  cost of the AT is truly cheap. Is there "Get what you pay for " caveat? someone must know...

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:34 PM

The only suggestion that I can make is to look for images on Astrobin. Then you can PM the poster and see if they will give you some raw data.

I have a 6" APO and it definitely gives bigger scopes a run for their money. You can look at my AB and see how many images I've posted there taken with it and how much detail I can capture with it. I bet you'll have to wait a long time for any 6"

Also, keep checking the classifieds, you never know what might turn up. 

Rgrds-Ross

#7 weis14

weis14

Viking 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:42 PM

I'd consider waiting for a used scope to pop up if you are not under some sort of time constraint.  I love my CFF160 and I paid a lot less than sticker for it because it was a few years old and I wasn't worried about a few scratches on the tube that have absolutely no effect on performance.  The optics in this scope are great and definitely hold their own against bigger scopes I had in the past that were more sensitive to seeing, cooldown, etc.

If you are patient and willing to travel to meet a seller and inspect the scope (and you should be for this expensive of a purchase), you can find some really good deals.

• M44 likes this

#8 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:45 PM

What mount are you planning to use with that 6" APO?

#9 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:47 PM

certainly is affordable but is it in the "get what you pay for  zone?" 

edit

I get the feeling this might be a fine scope for planetary and even some, how do people refer to this hobby.. "work,"  good for "visual work."   But if it is a job of false color than no thanks. I doubt it would be since there are three pieces of glass. 

When  I consider the "affordable" lineup my mind strays to consider if I should be obscene and get a more premium item but I am not sure if it matters or not. 

I DPAC tested one recently.  It was purchased used by the owner so it is a random sample.

As you can see, it is an excellent performer.

A TEC 140ED would be an excellent choice as well....but good luck finding one.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• AT152ED, Full Aperture, Outside, Montage.jpg

• stevew, Gregg Carter, Ballyhoo and 2 others like this

#10 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:29 PM

I DPAC tested one recently.  It was purchased used by the owner so it is a random sample.

As you can see, it is an excellent performer.

A TEC 140ED would be an excellent choice as well....but good luck finding one.

Jeff

There's a TEC 140 on AM right now

#11 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:43 PM

What mount are you planning to use with that 6" APO?

I am open to suggestions but since I have this whopper lying around maybe I will try it out:

Attached Thumbnails

• cgx.gif

#12 fate187

fate187

Viking 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:48 PM

Spending more or going premium... To know if it is worth it you have to compare the views directly, or with photographs as was suggested. Otherwise you will always ask yourself how much of an edge could that other scope have given ;)

#13 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:49 PM

This is the only option I can come up w as "affordable."  Anything above this price range by much I am feeling like may be too deep down the refractor rabbit hole, but still my concern is, spending more than $6k and getting, cheapy glass?     I say that because I have the ES 127 FCD100 but I started with the FCD1 version and from day one, wanted "better glass," and so I traded up. But is it worth it get get a $6k+ imaging refractor that may not have a great strehl and could have false color? Perhaps i should consider the SW Esprit. 

https://explorescien...in-carbon-fiber

Hello Ballyhoo,

I had the pleasure of trying the AT152 EDT and a TEC140 side by side. I am purely visual these nights and for visual the AT152EDT is plenty good enough. If I were still into AP the TEC 140 would be my choice because for AP you need every advantage you can get and those advantages are just not as important for visual.  Plus a new TEC 140 is about 18 months on the ETA I understand. There probably will be a AT152 EDT in my future.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 22 July 2021 - 07:40 AM.

• stevew and BruceNewEngland like this

#14 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:52 PM

I am open to suggestions but since I have this whopper lying around maybe I will try it out:

An AP 900 would be a better fit for imaging, the Celestron mount would work for visual use.

• noisejammer likes this

#15 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:11 AM

An AP 900 would be a better fit for imaging, the Celestron mount would work for visual use.

LOL my CGX gets great 5 min subs with Phd2 guiding. 

• rgsalinger likes this

#16 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:30 AM

I don't own one, but I know that the Astro-Tech scopes get excellent reviews,

I don't think you can go wrong with an Astrotech of any size.

It's rare, if ever you hear someone complain about the optics.

Great value for the money.

Edited by stevew, 23 July 2021 - 12:43 AM.

• Gregg Carter, ShaulaB and Jethro7 like this

#17 Mirzam

Mirzam

Aurora

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:58 AM

What is the advantage of having a premium APO for imaging?  Is it just so you don’t have to refocus between filter changes?

JimC

• A. Viegas likes this

#18 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: At the center of the exploding Universe, where it is safe

Posted 22 July 2021 - 06:58 AM

Teleskop Service proposes a 155mm f/8 triplet with FPL-55 glass, the equivalent of FPL-53 but blanks cost a little less and it polishes better.

https://www.teleskop...zertifikat.html

I don't know how much it costs in dollars but the Astro-Tech 152 uses FK-61 low dispersion glass that performs a little inferior to FPL-55. The scope belongs to a new series, all diameters made with 55 glass, serial-numbered and guaranteed to have 0.95 Strehl, the certificate is included.

• Marcus Roman and Jethro7 like this

#19 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:17 AM

LOL my CGX gets great 5 min subs with Phd2 guiding. 

And that's what matters.

#20 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:25 AM

Teleskop Service proposes a 155mm f/8 triplet with FPL-55 glass, the equivalent of FPL-53 but blanks cost a little less and it polishes better.

https://www.teleskop...zertifikat.html

I don't know how much it costs in dollars but the Astro-Tech 152 uses FK-61 low dispersion glass that performs a little inferior to FPL-55. The scope belongs to a new series, all diameters made with 55 glass, serial-numbered and guaranteed to have 0.95 Strehl, the certificate is included.

Technically, that's not entirely accurate.  The glasses by themselves are just fine.  What matters are the design of the system, specifically the chosen mating glasses and F ratio, and the execution of that design into a working objective.  Judging by the results of my testing and experiences with a sample of the AT-152, post #9 above, at least that sample was certainly of excellent quality and not inferior to just about anything I've seen.   

Jeff

• fate187, Jethro7, BruceNewEngland and 1 other like this

#21 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:12 AM

Ballyhoo, the Esprit 150 would be an outstanding choice.  Our sponsor sells them and with your member discount you should be in the ballpark you mention.  One of the astronomy magazines tested it against a Tak a few years back and stated it held its own.  

#22 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:53 PM

What is the advantage of having a premium APO for imaging? 

JimC

Optical quality, color correction, contrast, better mechanicals.

Bob

• Astro-Master, Jethro7 and teashea like this

#23 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:00 PM

Technically, that's not entirely accurate.  The glasses by themselves are just fine.  What matters are the design of the system, specifically the chosen mating glasses and F ratio, and the execution of that design into a working objective.  Judging by the results of my testing and experiences with a sample of the AT-152, post #9 above, at least that sample was certainly of excellent quality and not inferior to just about anything I've seen.   

Jeff

I like this option because it is a bit larger which is great. no doubt it will need an upgraded  focuser, likely I would go with a moonlight motorized.

The question I would have prior to ordering this bad boy is it will handle my ES" reducer/flattner which I already own:

https://www.highpoin...fRoCvcQQAvD_BwE

#24 firemachine69

firemachine69

Mariner 2

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:06 PM

I'm pretty sure a Lexus is nicer than my Toyota Yaris, but money doesn't grow on trees, only at the Fed... lol.gif

• BruceNewEngland likes this

#25 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:08 PM

Is it worth getting a 6K-plus imaging refractor?

That depends on how picky you are with your images. What targets you want to image? And is a 6” refractor even the right tool for the job?

If you have a budget of 6K, then get something within that budget. It will not be the ultimate – is that important to you? Do you care? Are the differences important to you?

You can spend a lot less on a larger mirror scope and get some excellent images of small objects and then mount a very nice, wide-field imaging refractor on top for wide field images of large objects.

Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics