•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Tough Telescope Reflex Finder

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ThusSpokeZarathustra

ThusSpokeZarathustra

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:24 PM

I like my Rigel reflex finder a lot, however, I worry that, due to its plastic construction, the finder will break if I place it in a soft carrying case while still attached to the OTA. I know that I could carry it with me in a separate case despite such, I find the idea of a reflex finder that I can leave on the tube without worry quite compelling. I would like to use my Rigel for when I set my scope up at home and a more durable finder for when I transport my setup elsewhere. My problem arises from the fact that I love the circles of the Rigel which I use to point the scope roughly where I want to view and correct it with my finderscope. What would be the best finder that I wouldn't have to worry about breaking and still be useful as a reflex finder for my telescope?

I've been looking at the Vixen XY red dot finder due to its lack of need for tools yet, I can't find anything about it. I also don't know if you can change the reticle to a circle instead of a dot which would be preferable. Is that a good option or should I look elsewhere

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:11 PM

Best red-dot in my experience is the Baader SkySurf V. Waterproof, rugged, excellent adjustment options and 11 brightness settings. Works with solar too!

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:51 AM

What scope(s) are you using?

The best reflex finder you can buy is the Telrad. Compared to the Rigel, it has an added 4 degree circle and various other advantages.  The mount is much more secure, it is held in place with screws.  It is quite bulky so there may not be room for it on your scope. It's the only finder I leave in place when I transport my scopes.

Otherwise, I think it is best to remove the finder.  Finders like the Vixen have standard dovetails and are easy to remove and install.

Jon

#4 ThusSpokeZarathustra

ThusSpokeZarathustra

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:45 AM

I have a Starwave Ascent 102ED F11 so I don't think the Telrad would be a problem in terms of size. Its plastic construction is my only concern. I worry that it would be crushed if I leave it on the OTA in a soft case.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:03 AM

I have a Starwave Ascent 102ED F11 so I don't think the Telrad would be a problem in terms of size. Its plastic construction is my only concern. I worry that it would be crushed if I leave it on the OTA in a soft case.

That depends on the soft case.  Telrads are tough, I transport my Dobs with the Telrads in place.  With the 10 inch, that means laying it on the seat in a blanket and using the Telrad to keep it from rolling. 

Jon

#6 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:20 AM

I suspect any blow strong enough to crush a Telrad would do damage to the scope as well. Telrads are pretty tough. However, they're easy to remove from their mount and the way it's designed, there's no need to realign when reattaching (unless something else has moved).

For me personally the 4 degree circle isn't a huge attraction, but that's just my preference. I used (and liked) Rigels for years, but they have a little more sensitivity to parallax issues than Telrads. I'm now using a small RDF from StellarVue, but if space and weight considerations would allow I'd probably still be using Telrads.

#7 ThusSpokeZarathustra

ThusSpokeZarathustra

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:00 PM

Would it be worth adapting a Pinty Red Green Reflex Rifle Scope Dot Sight to a vixen rail to use as a finder to get rough alignment? It is metal and looks like it lacks a coating on the glass window that other gun sight adapted finders have.

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B01EWAAWGU

#8 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:07 PM

There are many such RDFs available from astronomical retailers that already have the appropriate rails / mounts. For example, here's the Agena Astro RDF page:

https://agenaastro.c...t_list_limit=72

I had a very similar unit once. The build quality was nice and it worked OK, but the red dot was too bright IMO even at dimmest.

#9 ThusSpokeZarathustra

ThusSpokeZarathustra

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:15 PM

I was interested in the Vixen XY red dot, I know my Rigel would be better, however the Vixen is an adapted red dot that, as far as I can tell, does not require tools to adjust. I'm not adverse to tools but I like to have my cake and eat it too. I haven't found anything related to how well it stays aligned which is quite important for a finder, I don't want to repeat the mistake I made with a Celestron Star Pointer on the scale of $100.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics