•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any tips on aligning Celestron Nexstar 8se?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GreenTrees

GreenTrees

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:53 PM

My second night of trying to align my new 8se scope with no success.    The finder scope seems useless.   I enter my state and closest city, time and date and get started with 3 star alignment.

After getting a failure to align,  I try again and it wants me to enter all the above info that I have just entered.    I don't know why the alignment failed.  Off to a poor start with this and any help would be appreciated.

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Vostok 1

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:08 PM

Make sure the firmware is updated. And, download the Celestron Manuals. They only ship with Quick Start Guides; Manuals are all online. https://www.celestro...anuals-software

Edited by Notdarkenough, Yesterday, 11:40 AM.

#3 sctbrd

sctbrd

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:18 PM

Check that Daylight Savings is ON. Try TWO star alignment. Also, don't use planets for alignment.

Recommended to use your actual latitude and longitude (or as close as you can get) for more accurate location.

Did you check that your finderscope is aligned with your C8 through the eyepiece?

What power source are you using? Batteries can slow things down, especially if they are rechargeable, which only have 1.2 volts, not 1.5 volts which is why Celestron says not to use them.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:51 PM

Much guidance here: https://www.nexstarsite.com/

#5 speedster

speedster

Astronomy Architecture and Engineering at McCathren Architects

• Vendors
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted Yesterday, 12:27 AM

You might post this in the Celestron forum.  Lots of help there.

#6 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted Yesterday, 01:41 AM

1. Put in the coordinates Longitude and latitude where you live. You can google the exact spot. 2. align your finder and scope in the light of day. 3. Do a 2 star alignment. 4. Start with Polaris, it stays where it is at, so you can spend plenty of time finding it, and centering it, without worrying about it wandering off. Pick # 2 star as near South as feasible, as bright and easy to see as you can find.  Antares or Altair are good this time of year. Go there and center in the finder, then center in the eyepiece, punch "Align", and you will be on your way. Of course, make sure you have the right Time/Date/ and good power supply.  Use your Lowest power eyepiece when finding the alignment stars, - you can use higher power to do the final centering of these stars if you want. I rarely use anything other than a 26mm 2" 70*Q eyepiece for the whole procedure, and my goto's are good for visual scoping.  

#7 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted Yesterday, 08:29 AM

In addition to the excellent advice give above make sure your setup is level. 

Edited by Jon_Doh, Yesterday, 08:30 AM.

#8 GreenTrees

GreenTrees

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 AM

Thanks everyone for the help.   I will try your suggestions the next clear night.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics