•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any tips on aligning Celestron Nexstar 8se?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GreenTrees

GreenTrees

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:53 PM

My second night of trying to align my new 8se scope with no success.    The finder scope seems useless.   I enter my state and closest city, time and date and get started with 3 star alignment.

After getting a failure to align,  I try again and it wants me to enter all the above info that I have just entered.    I don't know why the alignment failed.  Off to a poor start with this and any help would be appreciated.

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:08 PM

Make sure the firmware is updated. And, download the Celestron Manuals. They only ship with Quick Start Guides; Manuals are all online. https://www.celestro...anuals-software

Edited by Notdarkenough, 22 July 2021 - 11:40 AM.

#3 sctbrd

sctbrd

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:18 PM

Check that Daylight Savings is ON. Try TWO star alignment. Also, don't use planets for alignment.

Recommended to use your actual latitude and longitude (or as close as you can get) for more accurate location.

Did you check that your finderscope is aligned with your C8 through the eyepiece?

What power source are you using? Batteries can slow things down, especially if they are rechargeable, which only have 1.2 volts, not 1.5 volts which is why Celestron says not to use them.

• Jon_Doh and ShaulaB like this

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:51 PM

Much guidance here: https://www.nexstarsite.com/

#5 speedster

speedster

Astronomy Architecture and Engineering at McCathren Architects

• Vendors
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:27 AM

You might post this in the Celestron forum.  Lots of help there.

#6 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:41 AM

1. Put in the coordinates Longitude and latitude where you live. You can google the exact spot. 2. align your finder and scope in the light of day. 3. Do a 2 star alignment. 4. Start with Polaris, it stays where it is at, so you can spend plenty of time finding it, and centering it, without worrying about it wandering off. Pick # 2 star as near South as feasible, as bright and easy to see as you can find.  Antares or Altair are good this time of year. Go there and center in the finder, then center in the eyepiece, punch "Align", and you will be on your way. Of course, make sure you have the right Time/Date/ and good power supply.  Use your Lowest power eyepiece when finding the alignment stars, - you can use higher power to do the final centering of these stars if you want. I rarely use anything other than a 26mm 2" 70*Q eyepiece for the whole procedure, and my goto's are good for visual scoping.  

#7 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:29 AM

In addition to the excellent advice give above make sure your setup is level. 

Edited by Jon_Doh, 22 July 2021 - 08:30 AM.

• firemachine69 likes this

#8 GreenTrees

GreenTrees

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:49 AM

Thanks everyone for the help.   I will try your suggestions the next clear night.

#9 DrazilGod

DrazilGod

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:07 PM

So I got so close to giving up…. Until it worked! Now I’m in love with my Nexstar8. This baby kicks butt. Someday soon you will find it stupid easy to use. Just don’t give up. 

• ShaulaB, Thomas Marshall and treadmarks like this

#10 Megamoose

Megamoose

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:19 PM

As suggested above, align your finder scope during the day. For instance, I centered my 8SE on a vent pipe on a far away rooftop, then adjusted my finder scope to point to the same spot on that vent. It translated surprisingly well when I later pointed it at stars.

• Jon_Doh likes this

#11 firemachine69

firemachine69

Ranger 4

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:31 PM

In addition to the excellent advice give above make sure your setup is level. 

This can't be stressed enough. As level as possible. 

• Jon_Doh likes this

#12 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

No Kick - Mount Marker Lights

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:05 PM

If the finder feels useless, it may need to be aligned.

Sometimes the finder base needs to be loosened and a piece of card stock inserted

under the front of it (like a business card 2x thick) to shim it.  Only loosen just a bit to get a shim in

if needed.  If the adjustment wheels on the red dot finder won't get you on the target, you need a shim.

The procedure to align is best in the daytime.  Set up the scope and get an object in the EYEPIECE 

(the telescope view) that is a hilltop, lightpost, or something as far away as possible that you can focus on.

Then adjust the finder to match / shim if needed.  Alignment is way easier if you have help from your finder.

Also try two star auto align, it is fast and easy because after you align the first star, the handset will suggest a second star - just hit enter and it will go to your second star for you.   

Also make sure your time zone is right.  (I am pacific northwest -8)  If that it wrong you will never be able to align.

-Lauren   

#13 Echolight

Echolight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Texas

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:21 PM

I’d say it’s near impossible to do a good and fast alignment on a C8 without a properly aligned finderscope. 

#14 whizbang

whizbang

Apollo

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 02:59 PM

Auto Two Star alignment. 

Also enter your exact coordinates.

Make sure you time zone is correct.

If you haven't already, replace your AA bateries with a lithium ion battery like a Talentcell 6000 milli-amp battery

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics