•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I buy a Tasco 7x50 Porro binocular ?

Beginner Binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:46 AM

Hi !! So I'm really new to the whole binoculars for star gazing thing, watched a few videos, mostly Ed Ting's and I'm not sure which pair of binoculars to buy for checking out how it works and if I want to really get into it.

Ed Ting recommended the celestron cometron 7x50 which I can get for about CAD $68, but I also found Tasco 7x50's for $54.

Both of them seem to gave good reviews and I'm not sure which is better, as Tasco seems to have some controversy over it ?

I'm hoping to get some pointers here about the two and potentially other great options.

Thanks! (Living in Dubai, going to Canada for studies in 1.5 months!)

Tasco 7x50 binos.jpg

Celestron 7x50 binos.jpg

Edited by The unAverage Hu Man, 22 July 2021 - 07:26 AM.

• sevenofnine likes this

#2 Cestus

Cestus

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:44 AM

I would advise going with a Nikon 7x50 Aculon or Action Extreme. You want something that is a bit better quality. If you can hold a 10x50 steady that will afford deeper views.

Edited by Cestus, 22 July 2021 - 09:44 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, hallelujah, Foss and 2 others like this

#3 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Limerick, Ireland

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:55 AM

I had Tasco binoculars before, and the quality was ok, but I had a telescope of theirs, and its quality was not ok, so Tasco is a risk. Celestron is a good make but often cuts corners with their lower end stuff, so they are also a risk.

• hallelujah, Foss and The unAverage Hu Man like this

#4 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:18 PM

I would advise going with a Nikon 7x50 Aculon or Action Extreme. You want something that is a bit better quality. If you can hold a 10x50 steady that will afford deeper views.

I tried one out at a store and it felt really nice (Well anything would feel "nice" to me, I haven't seen thru any binoculars xD), but the store person said these aren't for stargazing, guess he didn't know about it. Anyways my dad isn't sure higher priced binos are worth it, so I don't think I can start there.

Thanks!

#5 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:20 PM

I had Tasco binoculars before, and the quality was ok, but I had a telescope of theirs, and its quality was not ok, so Tasco is a risk. Celestron is a good make but often cuts corners with their lower end stuff, so they are also a risk.

Interesting, well the Tasco can be delivered tomorrow so I'll know something about it soon. I'd have had to wait 2 weeks for the celestron one.

#6 Profguy

Profguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:03 PM

I’m sure the Tasco will work quite well enough to learn your way around the night sky, and help you figure out what’s important to your viewing. That way you’ll have more information if you want to purchase another pair later.smile.gif

Gary

• The unAverage Hu Man likes this

#7 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:21 PM

a small tidbit regarding  tasco- owned by  vista outdoors , as is simmons and bushnell. If the binos look similar there might be a reason for it.  Pat

#8 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:36 PM

Sounds like you ordered the Tasco. Check it carefully because quality control in mass produced binoculars under $200 is often hit and miss. Mostly miss. Here's a few things to look for: 1) collimation (alignment) get both oculars in focus then look at a long perfectly horizontal line like a good fence or roof tiles. The line should merge exactly from one ocular to the other. If not, reject them. The view will always bother your eyes and they are not worth the effort to correct them. 2) prism quality. Hold the binoculars at arms length and look at the eyepieces. There should be to bright round circles of light perfectly centered in the eyepieces. There should be no faint gray box around the circle of light. This is a sign of poor quality. 3) focuser quality. Simply, is it smooth? It should move with some resistance but not stiff or loose. Judgement call but it's something to look for. 4) Optical quality. Again a judgement call but the view through them shouldn't look tinted. The colors should look natural as they do with the naked eye. The view near and far should snap into focus. 5) Price point. Realize that you are shopping in the lower end of the market. You will have to make some allowances for quality unless you raise your budget. Really cheap binoculars (under $100) will usually fail many of these quality checks. Low priced binoculars ($100-$200) may only fail one or two. The biggest fail will be #1 Collimation. If it doesn't pass that, send them back.

You should be able to get the Nikon AE (Action Extreme) series in your country. They get the stamp of approval on this forum. Not the very best. Those are mostly, German, Austrian and some Japanese. Top quality binoculars that look identical from a distance can range from $50-$5000 shocked.gif  just so just so you know. Good luck with your choice! waytogo.gif

#9 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:04 PM

I’m sure the Tasco will work quite well enough to learn your way around the night sky, and help you figure out what’s important to your viewing. That way you’ll have more information if you want to purchase another pair later.smile.gif

Gary

Yep that's what I'm hoping for !

#10 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:04 PM

a small tidbit regarding  tasco- owned by  vista outdoors , as is simmons and bushnell. If the binos look similar there might be a reason for it.  Pat

Oooo, good to know. Thanks!

#11 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:09 PM

Sounds like you ordered the Tasco. Check it carefully because quality control in mass produced binoculars under $200 is often hit and miss. Mostly miss. Here's a few things to look for: 1) collimation (alignment) get both oculars in focus then look at a long perfectly horizontal line like a good fence or roof tiles. The line should merge exactly from one ocular to the other. If not, reject them. The view will always bother your eyes and they are not worth the effort to correct them. 2) prism quality. Hold the binoculars at arms length and look at the eyepieces. There should be to bright round circles of light perfectly centered in the eyepieces. There should be no faint gray box around the circle of light. This is a sign of poor quality. 3) focuser quality. Simply, is it smooth? It should move with some resistance but not stiff or loose. Judgement call but it's something to look for. 4) Optical quality. Again a judgement call but the view through them shouldn't look tinted. The colors should look natural as they do with the naked eye. The view near and far should snap into focus. 5) Price point. Realize that you are shopping in the lower end of the market. You will have to make some allowances for quality unless you raise your budget. Really cheap binoculars (under $100) will usually fail many of these quality checks. Low priced binoculars ($100-$200) may only fail one or two. The biggest fail will be #1 Collimation. If it doesn't pass that, send them back.

You should be able to get the Nikon AE (Action Extreme) series in your country. They get the stamp of approval on this forum. Not the very best. Those are mostly, German, Austrian and some Japanese. Top quality binoculars that look identical from a distance can range from $50-$5000 shocked.gif  just so just so you know. Good luck with your choice! waytogo.gif

I have indeed ordered them, I'll keep your points in mind when I receive them tomorrow, yes I do see the action extreme, I'll remember it for later if I can upgrade. Thanks!

#12 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:20 AM

Well the Tasco bino has arrived, here's what I can tell:

1) Horizontal lines look nice and straight so I think the collimation is good.

2)There are faint grey boxes around the eyepieces, I'm not sure how bad it is so I'll put a pic of it below.

3) Focuser is stiff but smooth to move, I think its good.

4) There's no tint that I can see, but a lot of reflected light, I'll put a pic of that here as well.

5) Yeah this is a low price point, I'm just seeing if I like the whole binoculars thing, will know once night time arrives and how much more I can see.

Are the issues bad enough that I won't see much ?

Faint boxes-min.jpg

Refletivity-min.jpg

Edited by The unAverage Hu Man, 23 July 2021 - 08:22 AM.

#13 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:34 AM

the shaded boxes in the eye pieces are normal for porro binoculars with BK7 prisms.  The reflections coming off the objectives simply are an indication of the quality of the antireflection coatings. From the looks oof it, the tascos have a simple single layer  of magnesium flouride as the coating - a  coating that been around for a long time - does the job but coating technology has improved by leaps and bounds beyond that. Appropriate for the price point however.

Aim the binocs at street lights of the full moon and see how many "ghost" reflection of the light source you can see in the binos. This might be a problem under certain lighting conditions.  Something you learn to deal with or buy another bino that has different  characteristics.  

If you received a bino at the base pricepoint that functions well, you are starting  from a good place. I've read of people that mail order binos through reputable dealers that have gone through 4  binos of the same model  before they received an acceptable  sample. Most of the problems  originate at the factory where they may have lax quality control (again, hardly surprising at the price point) all the way to poor packing where the product rattles around in the box going from ship station to ship station before  the end user gets them. Some companies are better than other in packing but can still meet a shipper that doesn't  seem to  understand what "fragile" means. Good luck with the bino under night skies.   Pat

#14 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:50 AM

the shaded boxes in the eye pieces are normal for porro binoculars with BK7 prisms.  The reflections coming off the objectives simply are an indication of the quality of the antireflection coatings. From the looks oof it, the tascos have a simple single layer  of magnesium flouride as the coating - a  coating that been around for a long time - does the job but coating technology has improved by leaps and bounds beyond that. Appropriate for the price point however.

Aim the binocs at street lights of the full moon and see how many "ghost" reflection of the light source you can see in the binos. This might be a problem under certain lighting conditions.  Something you learn to deal with or buy another bino that has different  characteristics.  

If you received a bino at the base pricepoint that functions well, you are starting  from a good place. I've read of people that mail order binos through reputable dealers that have gone through 4  binos of the same model  before they received an acceptable  sample. Most of the problems  originate at the factory where they may have lax quality control (again, hardly surprising at the price point) all the way to poor packing where the product rattles around in the box going from ship station to ship station before  the end user gets them. Some companies are better than other in packing but can still meet a shipper that doesn't  seem to  understand what "fragile" means. Good luck with the bino under night skies.   Pat

Alright thanks a lot! I'm excited to see what I can do/see with these.

Edited by The unAverage Hu Man, 23 July 2021 - 10:52 AM.

#15 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:56 AM

+1 on Pat's assessment. The Nikon AE series are in the $175 price point and the general opinion here is that they perform above it. They are ruggedly constructed with excellent sealing (waterproof). Bak 4 prisms with no ghosting and a nice wide clear view. The coatings are properly applied and even...not too thick or thin. However, if you are happy with the Tasco's for a first purchase, keep them. Binoculars are like bunnies, they multiply when your not looking lol.gif

• The unAverage Hu Man and ECP M42 like this

#16 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:51 AM

+1 on Pat's assessment. The Nikon AE series are in the $175 price point and the general opinion here is that they perform above it. They are ruggedly constructed with excellent sealing (waterproof). Bak 4 prisms with no ghosting and a nice wide clear view. The coatings are properly applied and even...not too thick or thin. However, if you are happy with the Tasco's for a first purchase, keep them. Binoculars are like bunnies, they multiply when your not looking lol.gif

lol.gif waytogo.gif

#17 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:08 AM

Another way to think of binoculars is that they are like running shoes. If you just run around the block then almost any shoe will do. However if you do marathon's then you better pay attentions to details or your feet are going to kill you waytogo.gif

• WWTech, The unAverage Hu Man and Stevenkelby like this

#18 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:33 AM

I was going through the binoculars at telescope.com just purely looking at all the specs, and apart from the water proofing, what's the difference between the Nikon Aculon 7x50 and the Nikon AE version ? And how are the Orion Scenix 7x50 ? All of them seem to have Bak-4 prisms and multi-coated optics with the orion one being the cheapest.

Edited by The unAverage Hu Man, 26 July 2021 - 07:49 AM.

#19 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:22 AM

Can't speak of the orions, but there a couple small differences to the Aculon and AE there's a bit more eye relief in the Aculon- which is a bit of a difference as the rest of the comparable lines, the AE have greater eye relief. The Aculon 7x50 are stated as having "multicoated lenses"- not "fully multicoated optics" as in the AE (at least according to the spec copy on the Band H photo website). There's some discussion as to what that exactly means in the AE but it seems to mean that perhaps that AE has a superior coating or a fuller coating. As to aspherics quoted in the Aculon-  line, it is thought that they provide a better image(flatter?). The Aculons are 3 oz lighter (stronger chassis in the AE?)   Pat

#20 pat in los angeles basin

pat in los angeles basin

Apollo

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:06 AM

Regarding the scenix 7x50- "Every single air-to-glass surface of each binocular is antireflection coated, and the objective lenses are even multi-coated for additional light transmission and bright pleasing views" means that the prisms are single coated on the air  exposed side and multicoated on the objectives- as to the eyepiece lenses?. A bit more eye relief-(20mm) and a bit wider FOV (7.1) to boot. There's so many games played in marketing with bino's.   Pat

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:08 AM

Can't speak of the orions, but there a couple small differences to the Aculon and AE there's a bit more eye relief in the Aculon- which is a bit of a difference as the rest of the comparable lines, the AE have greater eye relief. The Aculon 7x50 are stated as having "multicoated lenses"- not "fully multicoated optics" as in the AE (at least according to the spec copy on the Band H photo website). There's some discussion as to what that exactly means in the AE but it seems to mean that perhaps that AE has a superior coating or a fuller coating. As to aspherics quoted in the Aculon-  line, it is thought that they provide a better image(flatter?). The Aculons are 3 oz lighter (stronger chassis in the AE?)   Pat

I believe the AEs are water proof and Aculons are not.

The longer eye relief of the 7x50 Aculons is possible because of the narrow AFoV and in my mind certainly make the Aculons a viable choice.

Jon

#22 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:06 PM

Regarding the scenix 7x50- "Every single air-to-glass surface of each binocular is antireflection coated, and the objective lenses are even multi-coated for additional light transmission and bright pleasing views" means that the prisms are single coated on the air  exposed side and multicoated on the objectives- as to the eyepiece lenses?. A bit more eye relief-(20mm) and a bit wider FOV (7.1) to boot. There's so many games played in marketing with bino's.   Pat

Yeah that is pretty sly, but I think still good overall ?

#23 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

I believe the AEs are water proof and Aculons are not.

The longer eye relief of the 7x50 Aculons is possible because of the narrow AFoV and in my mind certainly make the Aculons a viable choice.

Jon

Yeah the Aculons seem like a pretty good deal to me

#24 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:14 PM

Well in heavily light polluted Dubai a 7x50 with its large exit pupil, nebulae get usually lost. Get a 10x50 or, better a 16x50. Nikon Aculon A251 is a good one for the price and they have better BAK-4 prisms with round exit pupils.

#25 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:15 PM

Regarding the scenix 7x50- "Every single air-to-glass surface of each binocular is antireflection coated, and the objective lenses are even multi-coated for additional light transmission and bright pleasing views" means that the prisms are single coated on the air  exposed side and multicoated on the objectives- as to the eyepiece lenses?.

Sounds to me they're saying only the objective glass is multi-coated.  Every other surface, including prisms, is just MgF2 single coated.  Not a lot to brag about, IMO, but they're just $100. binos.  shrug.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics