•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I buy a Tasco 7x50 Porro binocular ?

Beginner Binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:25 PM

Well in heavily light polluted Dubai a 7x50 with its large exit pupil, nebulae get usually lost. Get a 10x50 or, better a 16x50. Nikon Aculon A251 is a good one for the price and they have better BAK-4 prisms with round exit pupils.

I wonder if those would help, I can barely see 2 or 3 stars from my house, though 7 stars from Orion are visible-ish, no Pleiades, light pollution map says the area around my house is like 200-606  tongue2.gif  , I always have to go somewhere else to do anything dark sky related. The 7x50's do show me some more, but I was able to see 2 of jupiter's moons laugh.gif , and the moon looked amazing

Edited by The unAverage Hu Man, 26 July 2021 - 03:31 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#27 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:35 PM

I believe the AEs are water proof and Aculons are not.

The longer eye relief of the 7x50 Aculons is possible because of the narrow AFoV and in my mind certainly make the Aculons a viable choice.

Jon

Just being the Devil's advocate here, Jon.  wink.gif   Actually the Aculons and AEs both have the same narrow FOV of 6.4°.  Nothing to brag about, for sure.  The longer ER amounts to 0.5mm in favor of the Aculons.  AE has the edge of a bit closer focus and is WP at the expense of a few ounces more weight.  Nikon is silent about coatings other than "multicoated lens" on both, meaning not prisms?

Rich

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:05 PM

Just being the Devil's advocate here, Jon.  wink.gif   Actually the Aculons and AEs both have the same narrow FOV of 6.4°.  Nothing to brag about, for sure.  The longer ER amounts to 0.5mm in favor of the Aculons.  AE has the edge of a bit closer focus and is WP at the expense of a few ounces more weight.  Nikon is silent about coatings other than "multicoated lens" on both, meaning not prisms?

Rich

Rich:

My comment there was a bit vague, lacking

My comment on the Aculons was in the context of the other Aculons which have 60° - 65° AFoV and 12 mm of eye relief.

A 65° AFoV with 12 mm of eye relief implies a ~ 19 mm diameter eye lens.

The 7x50 Aculons have a 45° AFoV so that same eye lens could provide 20 mm of eye relief.

And too, these are likely scaled eyepieces so the longer focal length of the 7x50s would mean proportionally greater eye relief.

Jon

#29 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Gemini

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:20 PM

Definitely use the binoculars you get every chance you can. Every night out, you will learn something new.

Maybe a telescope will be in your future? If so, be careful, and ask us questions here. There are some terrible cheap telescopes for sale that get great reviews from ignorant sites. Folks here can guide you to a good telescope choice at a reasonable price.
  • The unAverage Hu Man likes this

#30 The unAverage Hu Man

The unAverage Hu Man

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:27 AM

Definitely use the binoculars you get every chance you can. Every night out, you will learn something new.

Maybe a telescope will be in your future? If so, be careful, and ask us questions here. There are some terrible cheap telescopes for sale that get great reviews from ignorant sites. Folks here can guide you to a good telescope choice at a reasonable price.

Yep I really want to do that. Weeeellll... my first telescope was a department store type "educational" telescope, I was begging my dad for one and understandably that is what he gotlol.gif , thankfully I realized the telescope was pretty bad, tho I did see saturn and jupiter with it

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics