•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

how to choose light pollution filter

Astrophotography Filters
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 111

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:57 AM

Hi

recently i am thinking to buy a light pollution filter (given i am in heavy light polluted city)

i am using nikon d5600 to shot with different lens, and want to buy a clip in filter., but seems not much choice i have..

should i buy normal sized light pollution filter or are there any clip in filter suggest? since i have limited budget and want to use wise from it.

my next goal is to start taking deep sky object.

Thanks

#2 daveco2

daveco2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:52 AM

That's right, there isn't much choice.  I put a Hutech filter into my D5500, and that worked fine on the Orion Nebula at my Bortle 8 site; but that very bright target was the only one that gave credible results.

Better to buy a relatively short telescope and put a narrow band filter like the L-Extreme into a filter drawer in front of your camera.  You could increase the filter bandwidth depending on your light pollution level.

If you decide to sell the filter later, a conventional round type would have more buyers than one specialized for your camera.

Don't try to use a field flattener because you won't have enough back focus distance for a DSLR and filter drawer together.

Edited by daveco2, 22 July 2021 - 08:56 AM.

• 111 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics