•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What mount for imaging with a 10" f5.6 newt?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:13 PM

I am in the market for a new mount, and my ota is kinda big. I am just getting into imaging and as an ATM who builds most of my stuff, I feel very disconnected with the modern commercial mount offerings. My ota has a 12" tube, GSO rings, I can use either Losmandy or Vixen rails. the ota weight is about 30#, but its the size that is the issue. I currently have it on either a Vixen GP or an old Meade starfinder mount, but I'd like to be able to use wifi/Bluetooth and try my hand at EAA. Any thoughts from folks with similar OTA's?

Thanks,
Sean

#2 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

My vote would be an iOptron CEM70 if you can find one.  "Over mounting" payload wise is probably a good thing.

My 10" Dia 52" aluminum tube Newtonian puts 35+ pounds without cameras on my 'new' goto mount.  The CEM70 wasn't available when I made my CEM120 decision and would probably go that route now.  Heft of the 120 will eventually curtail my 'remote' field observing with it.

EAA with either my refractor or (now) the newt has improved my observing.  Cameras move easily to either OTA, adding extensions when needed.  Wireless control,  image transfer, and battery monitoring, all accomplished at the indoor workstation and in 4k.  Started with a scope side 'dog house' for the laptop, migrating to dual computer and indoors but miss the sky contact...not the bugs.  Dabble with guiding although probably not necessary with the 30s or less sub exposures.  The non-EC CEM120 i obtained has been a good step up from my still in use GM8.  YMMV

• psandelle likes this

#3 psandelle

psandelle

Soyuz

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:51 PM

Man, you beat me to it: iOptron CEM70 should handle that really well and keep you up-to-date on bells-and-whistles.

Paul

#4 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:03 AM

Thanks, I will take a look!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics