•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Older guy wanting to learn astrophotographery

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 allthegearbutnoidea

allthegearbutnoidea

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:20 PM

Hi all sorry for a long post

we brought my lad last xmas a Cannon d6 mk2 with a redcat 51 mounted to a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Wifi Pro Pack with there tripod. We also have samyang wide lense as read that is good for wife shots too.

My lad has now a girlfriend, so his interest has dimmed until he decides to get back into it. I want to pick this up as always had a fascination for what’s up above. Sadly all the tech is overwhelming and watched a lot of videos on stuff but most goes over my head at minute, learning as I go is always been my way of learning ,videos I can follow is cool too that explains it well, to a 5 yr old!! My lad did say I need to take a lot of photos to get one image of something decent. we never got that fair as it’s been a disaster, suppose good thing was I learned how to set Polaris and take 5 shots using the sam software. Think it was 120 exposure 2 sec interval. Good note on this was I got the starts looking good and in focus.
What settings should the camera be set too, I understand this is difficult to have one settings for all but a starting point is always a good start.
will the redcat be suitable for now, I like to do some nebulas and whatever else I can find but I’m kinda thinking I need something bigger? I don’t expect to go really deep space, just some nice shots closer. I will of course buy a bigger lense anyway once I know what’s good and affordable

we do have also a Celestron astromaster 130 with loads of attachments and a Cannon fixings for it. Would this go further than the redcat?

sorry if it’s all a bit muddled up I really want to get the best out of this gear thats barely been used 😩

rick

Edited by allthegearbutnoidea, 22 July 2021 - 01:17 PM.

#2 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Messenger

• Loc: Santa Cruz and Carmel, CA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:36 PM

Where are you located?  I would suggest that you join a local Astronomy Club as a logical next step.  Lots of resources at many of these clubs.

• ShaulaB and idclimber like this

#3 allthegearbutnoidea

allthegearbutnoidea

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:10 PM

Sorry forgot to say I’m East Midlands Nottingham there is one here but awaiting to they are fully open again. We are off to Scotland in august, so was hoping to get at least some sort of knowledge going for that we there for two weeks in a dark zone we booked a cottage smack bang on in a Astro area. 

#4 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:13 PM

Is the "skywatcher 2 wifi version" mount, for the Redcat, this one?

http://skywatcher.co...t/az-gti-mount/

#5 allthegearbutnoidea

allthegearbutnoidea

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:16 PM

O no sorry wrong one I have this one Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Wifi Pro Pack

#6 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Cosmos

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:49 PM

This is the first time I've seen it...

https://www.skywatch...nturer-pro-pack

It's rather novel.  That should be fine for the Redcat. 

If you're wanting to image with a 130/650 Newtonian, this is the one for that...

https://www.firstlig...30p-ds-ota.html

It would require a larger, more supportive mount.  Here it is again, in kit-form... 

https://www.firstlig...3-pro-goto.html

Although, some choose an even more supportive mount for that telescope; for example... 

https://www.firstlig...nscan-goto.html

The Celestron "AstroMaster" kit is not really suitable for imaging with the Canon.

#7 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:11 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! smile.gif bow.gif waytogo.gif  This is going to take a lot of patience and practice. But you're going to a dark sky so you will enjoy that. Here's a good book packed with information about imaging. Get out and use that redcat and an eyepiece and/or your Canon with your tracking mount every chance you get. The Sky Watcher has a weight limit of 11 pounds and for imaging you should have a lot less than that, so watch the weight. You learned how to polar align it, so that's a good start. I would stay with shorter exposures for now. Post one of your pictures from your trip in this thread. Learn your gear and keep it simple and have fun! You will get a lot of support here on Cloudy Nights!

#8 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:30 PM

Ok I am new to the hobby but started with a Canon DSLR so this I started:

1. Watching Nico Carver's videos on Youtube as he will walk you through everything step by step using a Canon DSLR and what settings to use. For me it was Manual mode on the camera and save the pictures in RAW and I started at ISO 800 and shot 30 sec exposures

2. The Redcat is a great little scope that will do great at Widefield imaging.. Go to Astrobin.com and search for Redcat to see what others have done with it.

3. I also had the Astromaster 130 but had it on a EQ goto mount that was able to handle 25 pound payload but getting my DSLR to focus with it was not working so use it for visual to look at planets and other bright objects. 

#9 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:34 PM

Older than you, (older than anyone <smile> ), used to race Formula Ford, many years ago.

The Redcat will let you learn this very complicated hobby faster/better/cheaper.  Hold off on the 130 until you have some good images in hand.

Camera.  Try ISO 400, 30 second exposures, for a start.  Tweaking those will involve study.  Do at least 120 subs, one hour total imaging time (the key parameter).  Don't omit bias, flats, darks.  The minor thing is that they'll improve your images.  The major one is that, without them, you'll learn bad habits in processing trying to deal with their absence.  Processing is tough enough without having to unlearn bad habits.

I recommend Astro Pixel Processor

This book will be a big help.  You'll never learn all you need to from short posts here.

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

Learning DSO AP is perhaps harder and more time consuming to learn than racing.  This may give you a glimmer of the subtleties and complexities involved.  Jackie Stewart:  "The next to the last thing a racing driver learns is how to get on the brakes.  The last thing is how to get off them."

It's also expensive.  <smile>

Edited by bobzeq25, 22 July 2021 - 04:39 PM.

• AhBok and allthegearbutnoidea like this

#10 allthegearbutnoidea

allthegearbutnoidea

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:25 AM

Wow nice replies, I get a look at those links later and see if can grab a book too. some good pointers and some videos I source those YouTube vids too and will report back the next time we get clear nights in uk and of course hopefully when I go to Scotland too.
  • bobzeq25 likes this

#11 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

+1 -- heck, plus a LOT -- for TDSIP. You don't necessarily have to retain all the details of e.g. how signal/noise calculations work, but the methodical explanation leaves you with a solid grounding in what to aim for, and how to get there. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics