•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What Would You Do? Meade Astrograph Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nhmorgan79

nhmorgan79

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:51 PM

Not sure how to proceed with this problem so looking for some advice. I purchased a Meade 70mm astrograph from OPT in January of this year, new for $1200. Got it out for first light and discovered some weird star shapes. Contacted OPT who said, yeah that’s not right here is Meade’s contact info.
Contacted Meade, who agreed it wasn’t right and had me ship back to them with the promise of a replacement unit. Unit arrives with them and I’m told it’s going to be a few weeks before I will get a replacement unit because they are back ordered. A few weeks later I follow up and am told it will be 1-2 months. Next follow up 2-3 months. Latest follow up, they are saying now it’s likely November at the soonest. So I reach back out to OPT via phone who ask me to send the whole chain of communication with OPT initially and then with Meade and they will see what they can do. Apparently Meade has been bought by Celestron. OPT promises to check back with me the next day regardless of what they can or can’t do for me. Next day passes. And the next. Week later I send a follow up email. Nothing. Almost two weeks now.
What’s super frustrating is I’m out $1200, having nothing to show for it. I have zero faith that I will actually see a replacement from Meade any time soon, if ever, and OPT seems to have zero interest in responding or even helping.
Am I just being impatient? Or should somebody really be able to fix this situation now. What would you do in this situation?
  • bobzeq25 likes this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:56 PM

Ask OPT if you can send it back, and have what you paid credited for another scope purchase from them.

• Starsareus likes this

#3 nhmorgan79

nhmorgan79

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:58 PM

Ask OPT if you can send it back, and have what you paid credited for another scope purchase from them.

I don’t have anything in my possession. It was shipped back to Meade. OPT isn’t answer emails.

#4 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Bay Area, California

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:00 PM

That’s what credit card protection is for. 

Not the first time I’ve heard it was necessary when dealing with OPT. 

Edited by Cometeer, 22 July 2021 - 02:00 PM.

• Starsareus likes this

#5 Space_Race_T.J.

Space_Race_T.J.

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:08 PM

I would pick up the phone and call them.
If customer service doesn’t fix the issue, ask to speak to the Supervisor/Manager. If that doesn’t work ask to speak to Dustin the owner of OPT. They need to make this right for you or refund your money.
  • Starsareus likes this

#6 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Vanguard

• Loc: MD

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:49 PM

Meade was acquired by Orion Telescopes in June which, on top of the pandemic supply issues, is going to make all of this very difficult. 

I would start with your credit card company, but they may have a 30 day limit on claims. 

Next I would write Meade, since they actually have your scope.  Address it to their president at the current address given at meade.com.  (This probably means the head of Orion will get it.)  Lay out the situation as briefly as possible.  Include copies of all emails, sale records, shipping records, etc.  Request what you want -- full refund is probably safest. Be courteous but also make it clear the next letter will be from your lawyer.  Send your letter registered mail with return receipt, so someone has to sign for it.  Keep copies of everything.  I somehow expect Orion is dealing with a ton of similar cases...

• Jon Isaacs and BruceNewEngland like this

#7 andysea

andysea

Aurora

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:45 AM

I never had any kind of post sale support from OPT.

Edited by andysea, 26 July 2021 - 09:46 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics