•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter & Saturn 18th July 2021 with animation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:56 PM

C11 on EQ6 mount with  Astronomics 807nm pass filter and ZWO ASI462 camera. No barlow. Seeing was good for these parts.

2021-07-18-0233_1-U-L-Jup_AS_F6000_lapl6_ap32_2.jpg

2021-07-18-0216_2-U-L-Jup_AS_F5000_lapl6_ap32_2.jpg

Animation

776 352.jpg

• Sunspot, Kenny V., John Boudreau and 16 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:05 PM

Boy, those white oval storms on Jupiter are really getting prominent.  Nice images.

• kevinbreen likes this

#3 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Skylab

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:06 PM

Good to see some world-class results from you, Kev.  Been a while in the making ....     now you just have to wait for seeing like that again :)

Best,

Grant

• kevinbreen likes this

#4 gfstallin

gfstallin

Apollo

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:07 PM

You did that in Ireland? Get out of here! You packed up the telescope and went to Spain. If not Spain, any other place with more than the 3 hours of darkness Ireland gets each night in the summer and the 6 total hours of clear skies you get each year. 

Jokes aside, the 807nm looks like it really works for the C11. I have really taken a shine to the 742nm, but I've been hesitant to try the 807nm, mostly because I think I no longer see any benefits with the 850nm on Jupiter (lower resolution, lower frame rate/higher gain). Hmm. I might have to make space in the filter wheel. 

If you really were anywhere near Ireland, it's good to see quality images like this from that far north. waytogo.gif

Great image

• kevinbreen likes this

#5 phileefan

phileefan

Viking 1

• Loc: Williamsport, PA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:52 PM

Hey Bro,

Glad to see you you're getting some good results from the old 11".  waytogo.gif  I haven't had ANY imaging sessions since mid June due to clouds and rain. The forecast is looking decent for tomorrow night, but we'll see. Talk later...... smile.gif

• kevinbreen likes this

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:06 PM

The ir filter did you some real favours here Kev..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#7 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:34 AM

A real success...I am envious!....nice framing and detail.

#8 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for all the comments, folks.
Yes Darryl, that filter is the business atm what with the seeing we get here. RGB captures were very sub par.
George: Yep, still here in my garden. We're having a heatwave, which helps. The potatoes are practically melting in the ground, to be sure!
Grant: You said it. I get up at 1:30am daily now to see how the clouds are, hopeless case that I am.

This particular session was really special actually. My god-daughter (15) and her Da came down for the weekend. I knew she was mad into space stuff so I suggested we all convene at the scope at 2:30am, cautioning that the on-screen visuals would be far from stellar. Half expecting a restless teenager checking her phone every minute, it was the complete opposite. Such is her enthusiasm I now refer all questions astro to my new found assistant. Now I'm wondering what scope her Da can get her for Christmas.
  • yock1960, R Botero, RedLionNJ and 4 others like this

#9 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:55 AM

A real success...I am envious!....nice framing and detail.

Thanks Ross

#10 gfstallin

gfstallin

Apollo

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for all the comments, folks.
Yes Darryl, that filter is the business atm what with the seeing we get here. RGB captures were very sub par.
George: Yep, still here in my garden. We're having a heatwave, which helps. The potatoes are practically melting in the ground, to be sure!
Grant: You said it. I get up at 1:30am daily now to see how the clouds are, hopeless case that I am.

This particular session was really special actually. My god-daughter (15) and her Da came down for the weekend. I knew she was mad into space stuff so I suggested we all convene at the scope at 2:30am, cautioning that the on-screen visuals would be far from stellar. Half expecting a restless teenager checking her phone every minute, it was the complete opposite. Such is her enthusiasm I now refer all questions astro to my new found assistant. Now I'm wondering what scope her Da can get her for Christmas.

This reminds me of a 17-year-old last year in my neighborhood. His mother saw me setting up the telescope late one night and said her night owl son would be fascinated to see anything in it. I really wanted to avoid the entire situation because having other people around is distracting, which ensured that her son showed up around midnight. It was one of the most productive nights I ever had. He helped with collimation by telling me how the airy disk looked while I was making adjustments on the stepladder. He was a second pair of eyes for finding best focus on Saturn ("getting worse I think, go back...yeah, right there"). His color vision was more than useful for adjusting the ADC. He went back to his house around 2:30 am and got soda for himself and me and brought extra mosquito repellent in case I needed any. He offered to help me tear down the setup at the end of the evening (4:30 am). I joked with his mother later that week that my wife and I were thinking of adopting him. "I don't know what you did, but I'm pretty sure any child my wife and I have biologically will not turn out like that. He's not really leaving us at the end of the month and going away to college is he? We still have some weeks left for imaging Jupiter and Saturn. They grow up so fast." lol.gif

George

• RedLionNJ, happylimpet and Lacaille like this

#11 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:29 AM

Some nice images here

#12 R Botero

R Botero

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:05 AM

Excellent Kevin. Superb detail from Ireland waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics