•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

One of my better disappointments 7/22/21 solar activity

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:01 PM

Didn't quite get full disc in today, but sun was very active, views with the double stack was very nice indeed. I had originally wanted to get first light with the quark but the whole assembly with the diagonal wasn't good, will need to go back and retry with perhaps better diagonal or figure out a straight through method. Found the power cord a bit too short as well, this set the stage for disappointment.

Trying to find the zoomed in out of focus solar disc in the pitch black fov and afraid a retention screw was going to come lose and drop the whole thing, I called it and went in for the LUNT which has enough issues that caused me to go for the quark in the first place. I wanted something since the smoke and haze and clouds seemed to thin out for a short time.

I guess I got a little something but once again my excitement kind of soured with the unevenness. I really don't know where the issue is besides possible the blocking filter and or small sensor and placement.

Ended up cropping some of the out of band smudge off the image. This makes processing difficult. Had a couple emails into LUNT but almost done with the scope. Was supposed to get new objective but don't think that's the issue.

Though on picking up a different single stack scope and see or maybe larger sensor camera. Or new blocking filter or shelving the idea all together.

Maybe I can get the quark figured out.

Double stack mode here with asi290mm mini.

Attached Thumbnails

• byesolar.jpg

• Tom M, hopskipson, Great Attractor and 7 others like this

#2 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:18 PM

Lost the net for a while but gave me a little time to think:

Next outing I think I want to try two tests (maybe a third if I can get camera to focus)

Test 1, get the rig ready for imaging, tuned focused, computer wired up, etc, then gently release the thumbscrews holding the camera in the barrel and give it a spin (rotation) and see if I can notice if the unevenness moves and if so, how and maybe work out.

Right now it appears the disc for the camera sensor and blocking filter might not be a good match for one another. I think if I see the unevenness move with the camera rotating I might call the blocking filter out...

Test 2:
Try a similar test after set up, tuning focus etc, but leave the camera in place locked down, release the diagonal screw and rotate the diagonal and see if the unevenness moves with the rotation of the diagonal.

I think doing this would tell me if it might be an internal etelon issue.

I have thought about picking up the b1200 blocking filter if it would help.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics