•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Report on different visual solar setups

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:03 PM

Had a sunny morning with moderate seeing. We haven't seen a lot of sunny days this summer. So I cycled through some equipment, which might be interesting for anyone thinking of buying or making one of these things.

1. Coronagraph made from a modified Baader prominence viewer with a 50mm objective and using a 10 Angstrom H-alpha filter. Great view of 20 tiny prominences around the circumference of the Sun. Despite the upper atmosphere smoke in the northeast, the background around the Sun was pretty dark. The proms were so small though, that I did not go for other wavelengths (H-beta, H-gamma, helium D3).

2. 155mm f/7 apo (AP155EDF) with a Quark double stacked onto a Lunt modular double stacking unit (normally for the LS80 and similar), Baader DERF. The double stack on the Quark makes the field dark and the view narrow. But what is there is high contrast, and you could see the active regions very well.

3. 155mm f/7 apo (AP155EDF) with a Quark (single stack), Baader DERF. Brighter and wider field of view. The disk is more washed out but the small proms were nice.

4. 155mm f/7 apo (AP155EDF) with a Lunt 2" solar wedge. Had trouble getting my binoviewer to focus but eventually got it. The biggest sunspot did have a zebra pattern in the penumbra, so it was pretty good. The granulation was obviously there but not detailed. More like mottling.

5. C11 with a Quark double stacked onto a Lunt modular double stacking unit, Aries ERF. Very small field of view and dark, but did show the active regions.

6. C11 with a Quark (single stack), Aries ERF. The proms were the best here of all the scopes. High power but still bright. Not perfectly sharp due to the seeing, but still brought in the most detail overall. The disk was  again washed out but you could find the active regions.

7. C11 with Baader visual solar film. Very impressive white light view. The granulation seemed so clear and faculae were all around. Yet the sunspot showed less of a zebra pattern. I realized that the reason it looked so good was that I could get 24 Panoptic eyepieces to focus in the binoviewer, leading to a good low power with almost the whole Sun in the field of view. Versus the AP155, where I had to Barlow the image to get to focus.

8. LS80 DSII (with circular polarizer filter and bright blocking filter). The most beautiful disk. Every detail from GONG right there and more. Bright disk. Dark background. Not high power, but great full disk.

#2-#8 were all binoviewed.

My conclusion: If you happen to own a C11, get some Baader solar film for it. With a binoviewer, it is just an amazing view even if seeing is not perfect. And for proms, big aperture really helps, too. You will need an expensive ERF; mine is from Aries.

George

• BYoesle, cptbobrfh, marktownley and 7 others like this

#2 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:59 PM

Thanks for the summary George waytogo.gif

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:46 AM

Nice report here George, lots of fine solar set ups

#4 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Messenger

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:55 AM

Much appreciated info. I really hadn't considered solar film with large aprerture but am awaiting delivery of a 15" and am considering it now.

#5 Spikey131

Spikey131

Vanguard

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:31 AM

Can you explain a bit more how you double stack the Quark.  Photos?

#6 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Messenger

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:03 PM

I was double stacking quark with a Lunt front mounted etalon earlier this week. The detail is better that way.

I simply install the front mounted etalon with Lunt blocking filter and tune for best surface detail.

Then remove the Lunt blocking filter, install quark and tune quark for best detail while leaving the Lunt etalon alone.

Edited by briansalomon1, 23 July 2021 - 12:04 PM.

• George9 and lorenzo italy like this

#7 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:06 PM

Can you explain a bit more how you double stack the Quark.  Photos?

Hi. I'll find some better photos but here is a thread on it:

https://www.cloudyni...cope/?p=8738080

AP155 has a 4" focuser. PreciseParts made an adaptor for me from that focuser to the Lunt DSII unit intended for the LS80. It is the exact same unit that is now for the modular scopes. Behind that comes a focuser. Into that goes my Quark, then a diagonal, then my binoviewer. Originally, I just detached the DSII unit from my LS80 along with the FeatherTouch focuser that came with it and put that into the PreciseParts adapter.

George

#8 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:10 PM

Much appreciated info. I really hadn't considered solar film with large aprerture but am awaiting delivery of a 15" and am considering it now.

It works spectacularly with my 10" Newtonian and now my C11. I have not put one on my 18" Dob, partially for fear of something going wrong. Be really careful about sunlight getting through the shroud and focusing on something else. My shroud would let enough light through to do some damage if the Sun came in on an angle.

My best ever white-light view was through my 10". I reported it elsewhere on CN, but bottom line was that the umbra of a sunspot has great detail: salt and pepper texture and light bridges.

George

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics