•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TMB Classic 115 f/7 (CNC Tube)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Dente

Anthony Dente

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Moyers, Oklahoma

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:11 PM

Of the different designs of the TMB scopes which is the more desirable, the classic CNC Tube or the LW model...?

#2 dron2015

dron2015

Ranger 4

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:59 PM

CNC might mean machined tube out of thicker tube or a piece of metal. LW might mean lightweigh or composite material of the tube (not necessarily carbon - might be fiber glass or similar). I think that there is no difference in optical performance - the lens should the same. Firstly I would select the better lens out of the options. only after that would pay attention on type of tube.  LW - perhaps more lightweight (but we need to ask Markus for the exact figures) but Alu tube - cools down fastly. the best person to ask about specific materials and numbers is Markus Lundes.

Hope I have not confused everything.

Best,

Andrey

• Anthony Dente likes this

#3 GUS.K

GUS.K

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Australia.

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:03 AM

Moving over to Refractors forum for a better fit.

#4 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:26 AM

The Classic IMO

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:33 PM

Since I'm a traditionalist, and also really like the look of the "original" TMB refractors, I'd prefer the classic version.  I believe Mr. Back introduced the light weight versions for imagers who wanted to keep their gear as light as possible to "minimize" the mount they'd need.  It always seemed cheap to me.  But then, I'm not an imager... smile.gif

Someday, I'd like to have a TMB refractor, classic, LW, what ever.  The time isn't now, though.

#6 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:30 AM

The Kruppax50 tube in LW versions is superb at resisting dew on the optics...  I have never needed my Dewbuster with the TMB-LZOS 152/8

• John Huntley and Anthony Dente like this

#7 John Huntley

John Huntley

Gemini

• Loc: SW England

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:10 PM

The Kruppax50 tube in LW versions is superb at resisting dew on the optics...  I have never needed my Dewbuster with the TMB-LZOS 152/8

Yes, agreed. I find just this with my TMB/LZOS 130mm F/9.2 LW.

I believe that the CNC versions weigh significantly more than the Kruppax tubed LW ones as well.

I've seen the 130mm F/6 in the CNC tube design but not the 130mm F/9.2.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics