•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PN NGC 6905 with only 800mm

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hobbyknipser

hobbyknipser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany Orange Zone

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:31 PM

Hi,

a few nights ago I took a shot at the PN NGC 6905 with my 8" f/4 Newtonian and a modified Canon 77d.

In spite of bad mount tracking, the telescope was not calibrated and the coma corrector not exactly in the middle of the focuser, I stacked 360x20 sec with DSS and made the best of these problems (1. image).

Hoping for a better resolution, I stacked only some 48x20 sec crops manually with fitswork and sharpened the result (2. image).

Next time I will use my C9.25 for this little PN.

NGC_6905_364x20s_180721_alle1_aus_rg.jpg

cheers

Andreas

• lukasik, mikewayne3, Dynan and 2 others like this

#2 hobbyknipser

hobbyknipser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:32 PM

...2. image:

Zielbild_48x20sec_180721_2rg.jpg

greetings

Andreas

• mikewayne3, vidrazor and psuaero like this

#3 vidrazor

vidrazor

Apollo

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:59 PM

...2. image:

greetings

Andreas

That's better I think. I ran your first render through Siril's deconvolver. It brought up detail but not surprisingly also noise. I color corrected it because your balance looked green-yellow, removed the noise in the skies but I left in in the luminosity data. Better than before perhaps but this one you did here is a little better I think.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 6905-Siril.jpg

• mikewayne3 likes this

#4 hobbyknipser

hobbyknipser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:29 PM

Hi, vidrazor,

Thanks for your improvement of my image! smile.gif

Yes, your colors are better and the background darker. I have sharpened the PN as much as senseful.

How did you color-correct it: with the photometric color calibration...and how did you remove the noise?

greetings

Andreas

#5 vidrazor

vidrazor

Apollo

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:05 PM

Hi, vidrazor,

Thanks for your improvement of my image! smile.gif

Yes, your colors are better and the background darker. I have sharpened the PN as much as senseful.

How did you color-correct it: with the photometric color calibration...and how did you remove the noise?

greetings

Andreas

For the sky noise reduction, I made a star and target mask by running a copy of the render on a separate layer through dust & scratches and creating a difference calculation between the D&S layer and the original data that had been passed through Siril's deconvolver. I used the smoothed D&S layer for the skies using the star & target mask along with the layer luminosity mask inherent in the Photoshop layers. This allowed me to dial the smoothed D&S sky in to blend with the luminosity data so you don't lose any detail. I color corrected the image in Photoshop using reference images online with levels, hue & sat, and selective color adjustment layers.

I gave a shot with a similar set of processes on your second shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 6905_A-B.jpg

Edited by vidrazor, 26 July 2021 - 08:16 PM.

#6 hobbyknipser

hobbyknipser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 12:35 PM

Hi, vidrazor,

many thanks for the further information!

cheers

Andreas

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics