•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepieces difficult to slide in/out.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CRAZYeye29325

CRAZYeye29325

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate, South Carolina

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:56 PM

The eyepieces have tooling marks that make it rough to slide in/out of the focuser. I don't think I want to sand them down, nor the focuser. What could I do? Just let them wear in?

Thanks.

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:25 PM

Since you're talking about the supplied 10mm and 25mm eyepieces that came with your new Orion Starblast 6, I would go ahead and sand down those ridges.  It won't affect the viewing at all if you cover up the glass surfaces with some protective covers.  

• wrnchhead likes this

#3 Van Huynh

Van Huynh

Explorer 1

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:31 PM

Hi. Are you sure they are tooling marks and not safety undercuts? Can you post a picture?

#4 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 05:52 PM

There is no safety undercut on the Orion 10mm Sirius Plossl eyepiece, but the Orion 25mm Sirius Plossl eyepiece has one.  They both came with the Orion Starblast 6 reflector telescope kit.  A light sanding with Emery Cloth will make it easier to insert the offending eyepiece(s) into the focusing tube.  

#5 AstroDog77

AstroDog77

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsburg, PA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:49 AM

No experience with that scope, but maybe sand them am polish off with a Dremel? I had an eyepiece that was a tight fit so I worked it with sandpaper in a couple grades and put a polish wheel on my Dremel, it looks fine and fits in the diagonal perfectly.

#6 epee

epee

Aurora

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:59 AM

The eyepieces have tooling marks that make it rough to slide in/out of the focuser. I don't think I want to sand them down, nor the focuser. What could I do? Just let them wear in?

Thanks.

Are you sure you have the retaining thumb screws backed far enough out. I know it sounds silly basic, but it catches me some of the time. A half turn can make all the difference in the world.

If the eyepieces are truly miss-manufactured, you should get in touch with Orion, they have admirable customer support.

• vtornado likes this

#7 vtornado

vtornado

Soyuz

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:47 AM

Im about ready to take all the retaining screws out of my diagonals.  

I'ts hard to know how far to back it out, without it falling into the grass if I go too far.

If any of my eyepieces hit the ground it would not be a bad day, they are all cheap,

and I only observe over grass for thermal and shock resistance.

The yanking of the eyepiece throws my scope off at high power.

• ShaulaB likes this

#8 CRAZYeye29325

CRAZYeye29325

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Upstate, South Carolina

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:36 AM

Are you sure you have the retaining thumb screws backed far enough out. I know it sounds silly basic, but it catches me some of the time. A half turn can make all the difference in the world.

If the eyepieces are truly miss-manufactured, you should get in touch with Orion, they have admirable customer support.

I checked the retaining screws, they are not the issue. It is just a tight tolerance and the very small ridges make it a finicky fit.

And maybe more than likely, I just need more experience, I've only been doing this about 2 minutes.

Thanks, Phil.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics