•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Noob question - synchronising synscan and kstars

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aknaggbaugh

aknaggbaugh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:25 PM

I have a Skywatcher 250P altaz with the synscan goto mount. When just used with the mount, all is good, I can align it and the goto function works reasonably accurately.

However when I try to connect it to kstars (running on kubuntu 21.04 with the indi synscan driver) it loses the plot. I align it first just as usual then connect to the usb port on the handset. The communication appears good but the coordinates on the handset and in kstars disagree by a lot, and the synscan position indicator on the skychart screen is also way out. I have it set so that the handset is the master location / position source.

Does anyone have this setup working who might be able to help me get it working?

#2 sbradley07

sbradley07

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:17 PM

Welcome to CN!  I don't have that setup, but there is a "Skywatcher Alt Az" indi driver.  Have you tried that?  I believe the synscan driver is for an EQ mount, but I could be wrong.

#3 aknaggbaugh

aknaggbaugh

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:21 AM

Thanks. I'll try that driver tonight - I thought the synscan was always the one to use when connecting to the handset rather than the mount but I'll try the altaz driver next chance I get.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics