•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari question?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:34 AM

Stared using Sky Safari pro as my primary astronomy app, and am amazed at it's capabilities, primarily the ability to create detailed observing lists.

Is there a way to get the coordinates of an object in the upper left to display against an opaque background (black) instead of overlaying against the chart?  When going thru an observing list with the objects highlighted, the coordinates can be hard to read at times.  I know you can just go to the object info to get the coordinates, but it just adds some extra steps to the process.

Thanks,

bob

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:18 AM

Bob:

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do.  But if the object is centered in the field, the coordinates for the object are displayed in the upper left corner of the chart.  The way I setup my screen, the chart is essentially all black.

Jon

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:12 AM

+ 1 on the slight confusion. well you could try going into the behaviour and appearance settings in the settings menu and switch to monochrome this may help.there also is a night mode function on the bottom of the chart and as a last resort you could try and increase the screen brightness however the draw back there is your night vision could be effected as the last thing you want to do when your eyes have adapted to the dark.then again you can actually puchase a magnifier which can be used with a phone,iPad screen. (available from Amazon online)

#4 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:15 AM

The best way to describe

If you have a list highlighted and target object centeted, sometimes the name of another item in the list obscures the alt/az reading of your target. Sometimes other items as well.

Have screen shot on phone, but not able to send.

Jon, makes sense if you are working off a list, to have nothing else showing.

Also thanks for pointing out the observing list capabilities in a previous discussion. Could not get to my credit card or play store fast enough after reading.

#5 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:29 AM

What i meant to say was that names of other items in the sky obscure the alt/az of the target as well.

#6 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:49 AM

Was able to get screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20210723-095432_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:04 AM

Yes I sort of understand where your comming from now however firstly this would be more difficult to see on a smaller screen anyway I would of thought.also with mine I use the telescope control feature via Skyfi WiFi module.and the azimuth readings etc are not an issue as it’s all automated when i press goto then the cross hair targets slew to the target I wish to observe.

#8 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

Bob,

Sorry but it is not possible to have an opaque background on those corner labels.

Bill

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:53 AM

Bob:

I see what is going on now. The highlighted object from the list is tangling up with the information in the upper left corner.

However, if I switch from a color chart to a monochrome chart, the problem disappears as the highlighted object is much dimmer than the information in the corner.

Screenshot_20210723-094744.png

Jon

#10 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:58 AM

Bob:

I see what is going on now. The highlighted object from the list is tangling up with the information in the upper left corner.

However, if I switch from a color chart to a monochrome chart, the problem disappears as the highlighted object is much dimmer than the information in the corner.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20210723-094744.png

Jon

Jon we must be on the same page we’ll I think we are anyway, even tho the issue was not completely eliminated when I tried playing around with my skysafari app when I switched to inverted monochrome setting it did seem to come across clearer well easier to read.

Edited by Supernova74, 23 July 2021 - 11:58 AM.

#11 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 23 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

I wish the creator of this App would write a better instructions on how to use it. I has so many features and I keep finding them as I go. I didn't know there was an audio section of the selected object. I would like to change the the ground on it. Maybe it's there to show you them 20* above the horizon?

#12 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:15 PM

I wish the creator of this App would write a better instructions on how to use it. I has so many features and I keep finding them as I go. I didn't know there was an audio section of the selected object. I would like to change the the ground on it. Maybe it's there to show you them 20* above the horizon?

Don,t laugh I find on some products anyway the instructions are in double Dutch and hard to understand sometimes it’s so frustrating that I end up make my own instruction manual up lol my brain.

#13 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:45 PM

Bob:

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20210723-094744.png

Jon

I'll have to give the monochrome a try, it looks like it helps.

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:37 AM

Did you happen to read the help section?  It does point you to the horizon and sky section and you can adjust the altitude of the horizon if desired.

Jon

• btschumy likes this

#15 BOSS3128

BOSS3128

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:22 AM

Not to get off topic,

I have an outdoor mount on my back deck, that I keep in the same spot to shield me from the streetlights in the front of the house.  One afternoon I took the time and observed for every 5o of azimuth, what degree of altitude I had to be at to clear the trees around me, and my house.  Then made and XL graph to get a better idea of what my view of the sky was.

This greatly helps when planning observing sessions, or when trying to decide when a particular object might be visible.

Attached Thumbnails

• sightline.png

• Jon Isaacs, synfinatic and millsbob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics