•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Left or right eye?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#26 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:20 AM

Some exhaustive aerobic chores benefit switch-hitting... raking, sweeping, mopping, chain saw, hatchet, maul, axe, pick-axe, shoveling. I thought everyone does that but then noticed it's uncommon. When one arm gets tired you switch and continue. Even observing through a monoscopic instrument benefits. I find that especially useful with the Hα solar telescope. That bright monochromatic red gets annoyingly saturated. Switching eyes is helpful.    Tom

#27 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:02 AM

I am left handed; but I can use either hand doing most anything, but writing.  I don't see where this has benefited me for viewing thru the telescope; as my left eye is weak, (always has been); so I don't switch viewing from right to left eye.

#28 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:09 AM

I'm right handed and my right eye is "weak" but I think the problem is in my brain -- my prescription is the same in both eyes. Since I don't use my right eye for observing, my brain doesn't know how to process the image as well as when I use the left eye.

Same thing if I am reading fine print on my cell phone without my glasses, which I can do if I hold it about three inches in front of my eye. I can read easily with both eyes, or just my left eye but it's uncomfortable to read with just my right eye.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 24 July 2021 - 10:10 AM.

#29 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:27 AM

I am right handed and left eye dominant.  They say that right handed-right eyed is about 2.5x more common than right handed-left eyed.  

Cross dominance is not a good thing when shooting a rifle. 

Jon

Why?  I'm a lefty, right eye dominant, and have absolutely no problem shooting a rifle right handed.  Pistol, left handed.

#30 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:33 AM

Some exhaustive aerobic chores benefit switch-hitting... raking, sweeping, mopping, chain saw, hatchet, maul, axe, pick-axe, shoveling. I thought everyone does that but then noticed it's uncommon. When one arm gets tired you switch and continue. Even observing through a monoscopic instrument benefits. I find that especially useful with the Hα solar telescope. That bright monochromatic red gets annoyingly saturated. Switching eyes is helpful.    Tom

I've cut a lot of wood in the bush but never saw switch hitting with a chain saw save maybe a rank beginer lol  Or an axe / hatchet etc. you have to keep max control with your strong side or you could be in big trouble along way from a hospital, some things you don't switch hit

Edited by LDW47, 24 July 2021 - 10:36 AM.

#31 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:38 AM

Why?  I'm a lefty, right eye dominant, and have absolutely no problem shooting a rifle right handed.  Pistol, left handed.

Some can do it but many can't especially with a rifle / shotgun that ejects the wrong direction  Unless you mean just taking a single shot, it takes practice to position ............

Edited by LDW47, 24 July 2021 - 11:06 AM.

#32 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:28 AM

Why? I'm a lefty, right eye dominant, and have absolutely no problem shooting a rifle right handed. Pistol, left handed.

You can't hold a rifle in your right hand and line up the sights on your left eye. It's physically impossible to do that with the rifle butt on your shoulder unless you have a bent stock or you are a contortionist. So cross eye dominant people have to either shoot a rifle with their off hand or line up the sights with their nondominant eye.

With a pistol you can hold the pistol at a cant to line up the sights with either eye. I keep both eyes open when shooting for situational awareness but even with both eyes open, only one eye can line up with the sights. I typically hold a gun in my right hand since its my dominant hand (although I can shoot with either hand). With a pistol I use my left eye because its my dominant eye. When shooting a rifle in my right hand that has to be my right eye because there is no way to contort my left eye to line up with the sights when holding a rifle in my right hand.

Most people are at a disadvantage when sighting a gun with their nondominant eye (or holding it in their nondominant hand), something that may take a lot of practice to overcome.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 24 July 2021 - 12:07 PM.

#33 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:35 AM

I observe with my right eye.  However, there at times I use my left eye since I seem to perceive color a bit better with that one.

#34 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:41 AM

I was born left-handed but the nuns forced me to write right at a very early age, by tying a (small/tiny) red boxing glove on my left hand for a couple of weeks... which turned out to be a blessing. I became rather profoundly ambidextrous. I of course took offense at first, but then noticed the advantages and actually practiced doing everything switch-hitting. It was fascinating. Scissors, hammer, saw, eating, shooting, writing, drawing, hitting, pitching, arm-twisting. "Comes in handy" Everyone else started to look lopsided to me, like availing only half their capability. My indoctrination occurred so early that I think it even affected my brain. Most friends were either good at this or good at that. Although I liked creativity, I also aced the English SAT (and two years early). Maybe all kids should be forced to wear red boxing gloves on their less dominant hand. Throw in a wee bit of genetic engineering and we can goose-step to our earned destiny!    Tom

"The left side of the brain is responsible for controlling the right side of the body. It also performs tasks that have to do with logic, such as in science and mathematics. On the other hand, the right hemisphere coordinates the left side of the body, and performs tasks that have do with creativity and the arts."

The right brain/left brain dichotomy has largely been debunked.

While social media quizzes might be fun to do, there is no scientific evidence that individuals use one half of their brain more than the other or that an imbalance in the two sides explains individuality. In fact, it would be really inefficient to use only half of the brain. A group of neuroscientists at the University of Utah had more than 1,000 people undergo brain scans while they were either lying still or reading. While the scientists did find that certain brain functions are more lateralized, they found no evidence of individuals having stronger left- or right-brain networks. Therefore, the left-brain/right-brain idea is considered a “neuromyth.”

http://scienceoflear...learning-styles

https://www.scienced...30814190513.htm

https://healthcare.u...lity_traits.php

https://www.psycholo...s-old-neuromyth

#35 bobharmony

bobharmony

Viking 1

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:01 PM

I have always used my right eye for observing, as my left eye has been a hot mess as long as I can remember.  The only time that changed was when the cataracts in my right eye became so bad I had to force left eye dominance and glasses to continue driving safely.  Since the surgery I am back to business as usual and loving it - best viewing I have ever had with the right eye... and yes, I am right handed as well, although raking with either hand and switch-hitting both come naturally to me.

Bob

#36 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:12 PM

You can't hold a rifle in your right hand and line up the sights on your left eye. It's physically impossible to do that with the rifle butt on your shoulder unless you have a bent stock or you are a contortionist. So cross eye dominant people have to either shoot a rifle with their off hand or line up the sights with their nondominant eye.

With a pistol you can hold the pistol at a cant to line up the sights with either eye. I keep both eyes open when shooting for situational awareness but even with both eyes open, only one eye can line up with the sights. I typically hold a gun in my right hand since its my dominant hand (although I can shoot with either hand). With a pistol I use my left eye because its my dominant eye. When shooting a rifle in my right hand that has to be my right eye because there is no way to contort my left eye to line up with the sights when holding a rifle in my right hand.

Most people are at a disadvantage when sighting a gun with their nondominant eye (or holding it in their nondominant hand), something that may take a lot of practice to overcome.

Right you are

#37 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:49 PM

Some can do it but many can't especially with a rifle / shotgun that ejects the wrong direction  Unless you mean just taking a single shot, it takes practice to position ............

Nope; not meaning single shot.  Anything takes practice, if you wish to do it well.

#38 csa/montana

csa/montana

• Moderators

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:56 PM

You can't hold a rifle in your right hand and line up the sights on your left eye.

If you read my post, I'm right eye dominant, and shoot a rifle right handed.  Same with astronomy, I use my right eye only, as I don't have as good of vision in my left eye, as I do my right.  Actually, when I started observing, I never even thought about it, and just naturally went with my right eye, which is the dominant one, and has better vision.

If my left eye had good vision; not sure which one I would use observing. shrug.gif

#39 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:03 PM

No problem, support the rifle with your chest and aim / fire straight down the barrel  Just make sure you have a good grip and a good recoil pad, lol

Ihtegla Star covers this nicely.

That's not what shooting trainers suggest and would be very awkward. They recommend learning to shoot with your dominant eye and your non dominant hand. I'd like to see a photo of someone shooting with the rifle against the center of their chest..

I got my first rifle when I was 7, my NRA Hunter Safety Certificate when I was 8. I was never a very good shot. It wasn't until was 50 or so that I figured out I was shooting with the wrong eye.

For astronomy, handedness matters very little, eye dominance is critical. Asian Dobs are generally left-handed, you track with your left hand.

Jon

#40 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:07 PM

I'm right handed and my right eye is "weak" but I think the problem is in my brain -- my prescription is the same in both eyes. Since I don't use my right eye for observing, my brain doesn't know how to process the image as well as when I use the left eye.

Same thing if I am reading fine print on my cell phone without my glasses, which I can do if I hold it about three inches in front of my eye. I can read easily with both eyes, or just my left eye but it's uncomfortable to read with just my right eye.

Indeed, one extremely dominant eye risks developing lack of function in the other. Same with the ears. Three inches from your eye to reach focus... that's about 13 diopters myopic. My boss was like that. He would flip his glasses up to scrutinize little things up close. It was like having a built-in loupe! He eventually (much later in life) got the surgeries and for the first time was able to focus on the stars without eyeglasses!    Tom

#41 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:14 PM

I’m right handed and left eye dominate. When I got to the shooting range I try aiming with right eye but I am less accurate. I switch back to my left eye which feels a bit awkward but I hit the center target better.

#42 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:17 PM

If you read my post, I'm right eye dominant, and shoot a rifle right handed.  Same with astronomy, I use my right eye only, as I don't have as good of vision in my left eye, as I do my right.  Actually, when I started observing, I never even thought about it, and just naturally went with my right eye, which is the dominant one, and has better vision.

If my left eye had good vision; not sure which one I would use observing. shrug.gif

Can you hit anything, a target or a ......... ?

#43 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:23 PM

Ihtegla Star covers this nicely.

That's not what shooting trainers suggest and would be very awkward. They recommend learning to shoot with your dominant eye and your non dominant hand. I'd like to see a photo of someone shooting with the rifle against the center of their chest..

I got my first rifle when I was 7, my NRA Hunter Safety Certificate when I was 8. I was never a very good shot. It wasn't until was 50 or so that I figured out I was shooting with the wrong eye.

For astronomy, handedness matters very little, eye dominance is critical. Asian Dobs are generally left-handed, you track with your left hand.

Jon

I was only kidding with my post but I have fired a lot of rounds since I was 10 yrs old with my dad and I know how awkward shooting with your ..... can be  Most left hand shooters, if not all, buy rifles / shotguns built for left hand shooters  If you are just fooling around at a shooting range its a different story again

#44 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:25 PM

I'm headin back to astronomy, enough of .......   lol

#45 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

I've cut a lot of wood in the bush but never saw switch hitting with a chain saw save maybe a rank beginer lol  Or an axe / hatchet etc. you have to keep max control with your strong side or you could be in big trouble along way from a hospital, some things you don't switch hit

If you habitually switch hit from both sides... they both become symmetrically strong and capable. This is also developed in the martial arts. I actually used the ambidexterity to take up --- drumming! Played with military, dance, jazz, rock, show bands. My son is also a drummer, with the Army Reserves Band. Developing symmetry is most fundamental to drumming. I fondly recall my audition for the Navy Band (in boot camp, to play at graduation ceremonies). The director's assistant slaps down some sheet music and says --- "Here. Play." The title is removed, but I recognize it as the snare part for some march or other, so sight-read and executed it at 120, classic grip, no problem. (I knew they would be looking for classic grip and 120... military. It helps to know your reviewers' perspective before stepping up to the plate). So that's that and I'm in. Apparently many wannabe drummers are poor readers and not actually drummers at all. Seven thousand recruits on base and they only needed three snare drummers. I was actually surprised that I was one of them. It made for comfortable duty and some extra perks/leave time to wander into town and hang out with the regular troops.    Tom

#46 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:37 PM

If you habitually switch hit from both sides... they both become symmetrically strong and capable. This is also developed in the martial arts. I actually used the ambidexterity to take up --- drumming! Played with military, dance, jazz, rock, show bands. My son is also a drummer, with the Army Reserves Band. Developing symmetry is most fundamental to drumming. I fondly recall my audition for the Navy Band (in boot camp, to play at graduation ceremonies). The director's assistant slaps down some sheet music and says --- "Here. Play." The title is removed, but I recognize it as the snare part for some march or other, so sight-read and executed it at 120, classic grip, no problem. (I knew they would be looking for classic grip and 120... military. It helps to know your reviewers' perspective before stepping up to the plate). So that's that and I'm in. Apparently many wannabe drummers are poor readers and not actually drummers at all. Seven thousand recruits on base and they only needed three snare drummers. I was actually surprised that I was one of them. It made for comfortable duty and some extra perks/leave time to wander into town and hang out with the regular troops.    Tom

You could be right about ....... but good luck with the chain saw, axe ........  But I'm glad I'm not cutting / chopping / splitting with you, lol

#47 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:41 PM

Indeed, one extremely dominant eye risks developing lack of function in the other. Same with the ears. Three inches from your eye to reach focus... that's about 13 diopters myopic. My boss was like that. He would flip his glasses up to scrutinize little things up close. It was like having a built-in loupe! He eventually (much later in life) got the surgeries and for the first time was able to focus on the stars without eyeglasses! Tom

I'm 11 diopters. Maybe I can see three and a half inches. I can do the loupe thing and see very tiny details like counting the individual lenses in a fly's eye.

I went to Casey Eye Institute (OHSU) a while back and they wouldn't do lasik on me because they said my cornea was too thin and there was too much risk of the cornea buckling for me to have lasik. They offered PRK as an option but said it would take four surgeries with a week of wearing an eye patch after each surgery and they said it was likely they could not fully correct to 20/20 so I would still need glasses for nearsightedness, just not nearly as thick of lenses.

I'm waiting for cataracts so I can just get new lenses. My grandpa said cataract surgery was like getting bionic eyes.

But I might miss my loupe, and I feel like me left eye does very well for fine planetary work. My right eye may need some exercise though.

#48 FloridaFocus

FloridaFocus

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Gainesville, FL

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:22 PM

I'm extremely left eye dominant. I had surgery for a retinal detachment in my right eye when I was 10 years old. While the surgery was considered a success, I can't quite achieve 20/20 in that eye and my brain has totally rewritten its vision perception algorithm.

Caae in point: I went in to renew my driver license several years ago. The vision test was a desk mounted device that you interface with like a pair of binoculars. Unbeknownst to me at the moment, the letters displayed were different for each eye. I casually rattled off the letters I saw and thought I'd aced it.

Then the lady asked about the other letters.

"Other letters?!"

I went back to the device and I still only saw the letters I'd already seen. Then I closed my left eye. All of a sudden, there they were. The brain is a fascinating thing.

I also had to learn to shoot left handed. Can't hit the broad side of a barn from the right, but from the left I'm a pretty decent shot.

To bring this back to astronomy, at least I know I'll never be tempted by expensive binoviewers!

#49 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:53 PM

You could be right about ....... but good luck with the chain saw, axe ........  But I'm glad I'm not cutting / chopping / splitting with you, lol

Honest, 200 full cords (4x8x4 ft) over many years from felling the trees to sending them up the chimney. My kidly son helped. Now he comes over and takes out trees for me. We're country woods here; most neighbors cut and sell firewood. We also get it logged every couple of decades to sell off select hardwoods. It grows in as fast as it is harvested. A neighbor to the east nearby got killed ten years ago when a branch from 70 feet up came down on him. All the ambidexterity part requires is a lot of practice. Try throwing a baseball both ways, then a football, then a Frisby, darts, horseshoes, fireworks, etc. Anyone who has had an arm in a cast for weeks will attest. Closely related: Has anyone here tried the da Vinci mirror image hand writing? Some things are just begging to be tried!    Tom

Oh... here's an image from work, me wielding a sinister hammer on the shop floor. >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 39 Toms Resume.jpg

#50 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:30 PM

"Has anyone here tried the da Vinci mirror image hand writing?"

Yes, I can write mirror image (right to left) with my left hand better than I can write normally with my left hand. Anything I try to do with my left hand is easier if the motion is a mirror image of what I do with my right hand.

Maybe I should do observation exercise with my right eye by using an amici diagonal so the right eye gets a mirror image of what the left eye sees. ;)

Years ago I hurt my right hand and had to write with my left to take class notes for six weeks. So I can write with my left hand but it isn't pretty.

But my handwriting is atrocious with either hand. I handwrite typos, like "hte" and "hwere" all the time. Once when taking notes in class I hand wrote "teqhuinces" (was supposed to be techniques). All the letters were there but completely in the wrong order. I wish I could write beautifully like mikednight.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 24 July 2021 - 03:33 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics