•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

When..the..Moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie..... it's all over?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:47 PM

Hi all! I am constantly surprised how many otherwise rational human beings pass or outright blast, bemoan observing the moon.

There is no better target to utilize our scopes high resolution, high contrast capabilities, on a consistent basis, than observing our beautiful neighbours constantly changing presentation.

Well every 18 years cycle that is!

Take a good look at it at 50° above and in good seeing.
The detail will amaze!

Clear skies & Good seeing

I think the faint fuzziers say the same thing about the bright mooners  They are constantly surprised ...............

Edited by LDW47, 23 July 2021 - 08:49 PM.

• esd726 and David Mercury like this

#27 BRCoz

BRCoz

Apollo

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:41 PM

I will check out the moon.  Doubles and some clusters are also during that time.  Well Everybody Loves Somebody.

• joelcindyclark and AstroCub like this

#28 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:10 AM

Moon?  What moon?  lol.gif

When I was growing up in the 50's, my first observing target was the moon, but my interest waned during high school when I discovered double stars.

Since then, I have been focused (no pun intended) on double and variable stars and the moon is just something blocking my view at times.  The brighter moon can wash out the colors of the more beautiful doubles and variables, but I can generally work my way around it - or use that time to look at stars in the northern skies.

Clear nights are valuable and I don't want to waste them if I can help it.

Cheers,

Ron

• payner and AstroCub like this

#29 AstroCub

AstroCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:33 AM

Clear nights are valuable and I don't want to waste them if I can help it.

That's my philosophy, too. 

I spend so much of my life obsessing about what the weather is doing and when it will allow observing that I always find something to enjoy when conditions allow, moon or no moon. 

I am very obsessive about my alignments and how my telescopes are performing generally, so even in full moon conditions I am always out there for 3 hours or so. 

When (rarely) everything lines up and you have Saturn, for example, well placed (25 - 35 degrees up) and good+ seeing conditions, I am happy to sit at my eyepiece and gaze at him for hours. 

I have a Maksutov telescope on order which I am excited about. I can't wait to try it out on the gas giants, moon, etc. 

Edited by AstroCub, 26 July 2021 - 09:41 AM.

• RAKing likes this

#30 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:40 AM

Going out tonight, partly to look at Jupiter and Saturn, but the moon too....and hey, where I'm going is forecasted for Fair air quality instead of the Poor quality in Denver......

#31 AstroCub

AstroCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:24 AM

Going out tonight, partly to look at Jupiter and Saturn, but the moon too....and hey, where I'm going is forecasted for Fair air quality instead of the Poor quality in Denver......

Looks like you'll need to be out from about 11pm onwards from you are (assuming you're observing in Denver locale) 

Hope conditions are good for you. 

Saturn will be at maximum altitude, appx 31 degrees up, at about 0130 hrs for you. Jupiter will be really nicely placed midnight onwards also. Clear skies!!

#32 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:00 AM

Although winter can be a double edge sword because the moon makes its presence felt (seen) more often in the evening sky than in the summer because of shorter daylight hours. 

One thing I am going to try and do next year is to observe Jupiter & Saturn an hour or so before sunrise in the mid May / mid July timeframe. Less noise in the lower atmosphere at that time plus I get to bed a bit earlier. 

But the skies are darker longer.. that's why the moon intrudes more.. 

Jon

#33 AstroCub

AstroCub

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:19 AM

But the skies are darker longer.. that's why the moon intrudes more.. 

Jon

Exactly - that's what I was (trying) saying in my first line :) 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#34 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

Look at the faint fuzzies.

Full moon is the only time when the clouds part and allow you to see two or three stars.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics