•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best accessory for shading PC

Accessories Solar
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MVoltae

MVoltae

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Verona, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:14 PM

For solar imaging, I currently stick a large box in the trunk of my car to shade my PC.  Very inconvenient and I am looking for a better solution.  I see many commercial items on line, but it is difficult to rate them against one another.  Would appreciate any suggestion as to what might be working for those of you capturing solar images on your PC. 

Jordan 

#2 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:30 PM

I think most people use a big rubbermaid bin turned sideways, probably like you're doing with your cardboard box.  Recommend you post this in the solar observing and imaging forum.

#3 randcpoll

randcpoll

Messenger

• Loc: New York

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:37 PM

I have a Lapdome which I use when I'm out at night during star parties, but I just use a box with the flaps taped to my preferred positions for solar photos.

• psandelle and John O'Grady like this

#4 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:30 PM

Moving to Astro Software & Computers.

smp

#5 psandelle

psandelle

Soyuz

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:28 PM

Lapdome!

Paul

#6 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:31 PM

I use a plant grow 'tent' strapped to a folding table.  I put my 4k UHD monitor and a Bluetooth keyboard inside running a long  HDMI cable to the headless NUC PC on the mount.  All battery powered for field use.  I inverted the grow tent putting the silver lining outside.  This makes inside much darker and unfortunately causes blinding reflections, but less heat guild up, outside.  YMMV

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1930doghouse.JPG

• jdupton and cmooney91 like this

#7 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:37 AM

I have some large stackable totes. I cut the side out of one. I nest another tote inside the one with the cutout and use it to carry a lot of small astronomy imaging items for the trip so the one with the cutout doesn't actually take up extra space in my truck. 

The cutout tote is useful under sunlight so you can keep your laptop and screen out of the sun. It is also useful under darkness to minimize the light leak from your laptop screen.

I just ordered a 4x6 foot popup shade structure with partial shade back wall. I wanted a short shade structure for my table and chair near the mount. Useful to keep the heat down in the day and the back shade wall also keeps the light leak from the laptop screen from being seen from behind where I sit.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#8 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:55 AM

Here is a picture of my tote with cutout nested with another tote used to haul astronomy stuff.

tote.jpg

#9 MVoltae

MVoltae

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:28 AM

Thank you everyone for your range of suggestions several of which would work for me.  

Jordan 

#10 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:53 PM

I use the older version of this: https://i-visor.com/...21-version.html

#11 MVoltae

MVoltae

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:46 AM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  I have purchased the Vatalyst Laptop Sun Shade | Outdoor Foldable and Portable Glare Screen Hood Shield for Laptop Computers, Tablets and Smartphones which I will take out for a spin as soon as the sky clears up a bit.  

Jordan 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics