•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lifepixel or Kolari Vision?

Astrophotography DSLR Imaging Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 southern.astrophotographer

southern.astrophotographer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Alabama, USA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 02:11 PM

So I narrowed it down to Lifepixel or Kolari Vision. I want a Ha mod on my T7 (bought last October). Currently I am using my T7 on a SWSA with a Rokinon 135mm and 14mm. Also should I send in my 135 so they can test it with my camera? I am trying to figure out some personal reviews on both!

Thanks in advance! 

Clear Skies!

#2 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:22 PM

I would use Lifepixel, and would recommend the FULL SPECTRUM mod to get the most use out of your camera, and also make the camera a bit more valuable if and or when you outgrow it.  If you are paying for the modification, you may as well be able to utilize the benefits of being able to gather the whole spectrum.  But that isn't what you asked.

Lifepixel takes a while, and while it is very irritating that you can pay extra to bump people down the line in waiting for thier camera, is almost enough to make me not use them, but since they seem to have the most experience, the most online help, and a warranty of workmanship, I'm sold anyway.  Have 2 from them, and while not pleased with turn around time, I am pleased with quality of work.

Clear Skies !!

• southern.astrophotographer likes this

#3 wsbrown

wsbrown

Vostok 1

• Loc: Baxley, GA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:20 PM

Ive used Lifepixel for a Ha mod on D5300 and full spectrum on a D610. I was very satisfied with the experience for both.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#4 maxtorine

maxtorine

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:46 PM

A bit off-topic but you may consider other companies that have shorter wait times and sometimes less expensive. I've dealt with Night Sky Camera and both the service and shipping were super fast.

There are some guys here that modify cameras and they have some great ratings, just look them up.

#5 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:00 PM

A bit off-topic but you may consider other companies that have shorter wait times and sometimes less expensive. I've dealt with Night Sky Camera and both the service and shipping were super fast.

There are some guys here that modify cameras and they have some great ratings, just look them up.

What kind of camera ? When did they perform service for you ?  Is there glass in front of your sensor ?  Did you lose autofocus ?  Can you post some sample images and maybe some raw subs for people to download and inspect ?

Clear Skies !!

#6 Readerp

Readerp

Messenger

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:44 PM

Got 3 Nikons Ha modded by Lifepixel in the last two years. All went perfectly.

Turn around time is not too fast so expect at least a month without your camera.

#7 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:36 PM

A couple months back I bought an already modified D5100 from LifePixel to go with the D5100 I already had. I’m pleased with it so far.

#8 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:42 PM

Got 3 Nikons Ha modded by Lifepixel in the last two years. All went perfectly.

Turn around time is not too fast so expect at least a month without your camera.

It must be a Covid thing because my mod took a total of 10 days from the time I mailed it, to the time I had it back.

#9 maxtorine

maxtorine

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:37 PM

What kind of camera ? When did they perform service for you ?  Is there glass in front of your sensor ?  Did you lose autofocus ?  Can you post some sample images and maybe some raw subs for people to download and inspect ?

Clear Skies !!

All I can say is that they provided a top notch service and yes focus is spot on when I use lenses.

#10 tapfret

tapfret

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bryant, WA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:06 PM

I sent a 77D to lifepixel on July 2 that was received by them July 6. That is the last status update. So yeah, not fast. I mainly chose them because they are in my county and I do what I can to support local. I'll let you know if I am happy with the job...assuming you have not proceeded before I get mine back. Which seems likely.

If you do go with Kolari I would definitely like to know about your experience. I actually logged in today to inquire if anyone had experience with their RF clip in filters or RF drop in adapter.

Is there any particular reason you eliminated Spencer's from contention?

#11 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:53 PM

All I can say is that they provided a top notch service and yes focus is spot on when I use lenses.

So, no samples, no glass in front of the sensor, no camera model, but yet its important to share that they provide top notch service and focus is spot on ? 

I understand that this is a bit off topic, but isn't it really wise for users to consider another users posts and stats when considering a recommendation for products and services.  You can correlate far too many inactive accounts that just seem to show up to promote very specific products or service providers, and isn't it important that users do understand this does happen on various groups and forums and should really pursue some due dilligence?  Wouldn't you agree ?

Clear Skies !!

#12 maxtorine

maxtorine

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:39 PM

So, no samples, no glass in front of the sensor, no camera model, but yet its important to share that they provide top notch service and focus is spot on ? 

I understand that this is a bit off topic, but isn't it really wise for users to consider another users posts and stats when considering a recommendation for products and services.  You can correlate far too many inactive accounts that just seem to show up to promote very specific products or service providers, and isn't it important that users do understand this does happen on various groups and forums and should really pursue some due dilligence?  Wouldn't you agree ?

Clear Skies !!

Are you a Lifepixel employee? Your posts seem too aggressive.

#13 southern.astrophotographer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:09 PM

Is there any particular reason you eliminated Spencer's from contention?

Mainly due to the sketchy reviews from other conversions preformed by spencers. Most of them ranged from dust trapped under the new filter to absolutely no reliable customer service. (Besides the time frame, which is not a factor due to the horrible weather down in the south) I have yet to see a negative review about lifepixel. I sent Spencers a email about my conversion questions 2 weeks ago but still no response. Most forums cautioned me to stay away from Spencers. Safety and security is number one priority when sending my only camera off. 

#14 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:14 PM

There is a difference between being aggressive, and assertive, and would appreciate the understanding of that distinction.
There has been absolutely no intent of aggression, but there has been a lot of sharing of opinion and wisdom when it comes to due diligence, as is referenced in a prior post.

Clear Skies !!

#15 southern.astrophotographer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:15 PM

I understand his/her concern. Like mentioned in my previous post, when I send my camera off I want a reliable service. Not saying Night Sky Camera isn't (they were actually my first choice due to price but Canadian customs I decided to stay within the US. However, back to the quote, if I am paying 200+ and sending a 200+ camera off I want to know everything about the process. When I mean everything, I mean everything.  

#16 maxtorine

maxtorine

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:17 PM

I understand his/her concern. Like mentioned in my previous post, when I send my camera off I want a reliable service. Not saying Night Sky Camera isn't (they were actually my first choice due to price but Canadian customs I decided to stay within the US. However, back to the quote, if I am paying 200+ and sending a 200+ camera off I want to know everything about the process. When I mean everything, I mean everything.  

I absolutely understand the desire to find the best service available out there.

You asked for opinions on Lifepixel and Kolari Vision. I mentioned that my note was off-topic and of course it is totally up to you which service you choose.

People say that they have had some good experience with Lifepixel and I just shared my experience with another company.

Here is why I chose not to use Lifepixel services

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11007389

You have also mentioned some sketchy stuff about Spencer's.

I guess it all comes to your personal preference and I really hope that you will enjoy using your modified camera anyway.

#17 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:51 AM

I absolutely understand the desire to find the best service available out there.

You asked for opinions on Lifepixel and Kolari Vision. I mentioned that my note was off-topic and of course it is totally up to you which service you choose.

People say that they have had some good experience with Lifepixel and I just shared my experience with another company.

Here is why I chose not to use Lifepixel services

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry11007389

You have also mentioned some sketchy stuff about Spencer's.

I guess it all comes to your personal preference and I really hope that you will enjoy using your modified camera anyway.

Really ?  Dust on the sensor ?  I have new cameras that come with dust on the sensor.  You can clean your camera, put it in an air tight bag, and ship it to yourself, and I guarantee that you will have dust on your sensor.  Having Dust between the sensor and a filter, is a different story, and I haven't seen any legitimate claims, and when my camera came back from Lifepixel, there was dust on on the sensor.  It has no reflection at all on the service they provide and trying to shame them or downplay a service by something that happens to everyone who ships a camera is intellectually dishonest.

I would be more concerned with a camera service that has no calibration equipment, suggests mods be bare because they don't want to bother with the levels of expertise and experience required to do it correctly.  I'm not calling out anyone specifically, but they know who they are, and people need to be aware that maybe a little longer wait, maybe a little more money, but ya know what, at least at Lifepixel, your camera is done right, and if its not, they go the extra to make it that way.

No I don't work for them, and some of their policies and offerings I do not like, but my group is now 8 for 8 total in camera's converted by them, and 2 of them are mine.
Dust, sure, but at least you are not trying to clean a bare sensor.  If Dust scares you, stay away from all digital cameras.

Dear OP, Good luck on your conversion !  :)

Clear Skies !!

#18 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:18 AM

Dust, sure, but at least you are not trying to clean a bare sensor. 

Why?  Do you have any samples of this to explain your theory? tongue2.gif

I've cleaned my naked sensor f/s D5300.  It's no different than doing the same thing on my regular D5300.

• 17.5Dob and galacticinsomnia like this

#19 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:46 PM

Why?  Do you have any samples of this to explain your theory? tongue2.gif

I've cleaned my naked sensor f/s D5300.  It's no different than doing the same thing on my regular D5300.

I am not sure what the question is.  I have plenty of images with dust on them.  I have plenty of bare sensors here, Cmos and CCD, and without the glass filter(s), everytime you clean, you risk damage to the sensor, not to mention how quickly they get dust on them.  When there is glass, you only risk glass damage.  It's not so cut n dry, but if you are paying for a professional service, it's a huge plus when glass is used to replace the filters.  Not to mention all the other points that are made.  :)

Have no problem with anyone who choose to do the bare modification themselves, I take apart everything.  If you are paying for it though, I'd rather go with someone who does it right, calibrates, checks, and offers some kind of warranty on the service.  No theory, The glass not only protects the sensor but it allows a way to standardize the calibration of the focus.

Clear Skies !!

#20 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:47 PM

I am not sure what the question is.  I have plenty of images with dust on them.  I have plenty of bare sensors here, Cmos and CCD, and without the glass filter(s), everytime you clean, you risk damage to the sensor, not to mention how quickly they get dust on them.  When there is glass, you only risk glass damage.  It's not so cut n dry, but if you are paying for a professional service, it's a huge plus when glass is used to replace the filters.  Not to mention all the other points that are made.  smile.gif

Have no problem with anyone who choose to do the bare modification themselves, I take apart everything.  If you are paying for it though, I'd rather go with someone who does it right, calibrates, checks, and offers some kind of warranty on the service.  No theory, The glass not only protects the sensor but it allows a way to standardize the calibration of the focus.

Clear Skies !!

Oh I was pretty clear, but okay.  You seem solidly set on your opinions.  And a major fan of Lifepixel.  Both of which are perfectly fine.

For my opinion on just my own personal D5300's, both of them are going to collect dust at the exact same rate, which fortunately is fairly minimal, and both will be cleaned in the exact same manner.  I'm not using steel wool or anything here. tongue2.gif

#21 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:54 PM

Oh I was pretty clear, but okay.  You seem solidly set on your opinions.  And a major fan of Lifepixel.  Both of which are perfectly fine.

For my opinion on just my own personal D5300's, both of them are going to collect dust at the exact same rate, which fortunately is fairly minimal, and both will be cleaned in the exact same manner.  I'm not using steel wool or anything here. tongue2.gif

Doesn't matter what you are NOT using, it matters what you ARE using, and depending on wet or dry method, media, or solvent, is going to determine your success, longevity and/or risk to your imaging sensor.

Not sure what kind of evidence you need, as it isn't opinion, it is fact, as demonstrated by your non use of steel wool. lol

If you are modding a camera apart yourself, who cares, but if you are paying for service, you want the best options, and that includes glass in front of your sensor, and calibration for focus and imaging accuracy.

Clear Skies !!

#22 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Aurora

• Loc: UK

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:13 AM

Remember that a "naked" sensor is not really naked at all because there is a still a hermetically sealed cover glass protecting the sensor.  So cleaning the sensor is not a problem.

Mark

• 17.5Dob, limeyx and Mike in Rancho like this

#23 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:49 PM

Remember that a "naked" sensor is not really naked at all because there is a still a hermetically sealed cover glass protecting the sensor.  So cleaning the sensor is not a problem.

+1

#24 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:32 PM

Remember a bare sensor is just that, it is the sensor with filters and cleaning circutry usually removed, and while there may/maynot be Dichrioics/Sealed assembly before the actual sensor, connections to the sensor are being exposed to cleaning materials, solvents, etc.  At home, you may have clean windows, but now look at the frames.  Is there any dust dirt, or particluate matter settling in there.  Now imagine in that frame micro-sized with hundreds of SMT connections exposed, to cleaning, solvent, enviroment, particlute.

Again, who cares if someone enjoys a bare sensor, I certainly don't care, and usually advocate for a full spectrum mod because its the BARE modification that maintains focus, and a sense of security by having a protective glass in front of the sensor.

People who deal with electronics, and professionals who repair and perform modifications advocate glass in front of the sensor.  No one here, including me, is saying bare sensors stink or don't perform, what I am saying is that professionals who provide the service advocate for glass in front of the sensor for many reasons, some of which are, protection, lens focus, and accurate repeatable calibration. 

I've been cleaning sensors for more than 20 years, for myself and other photgraphers.

If you doubt that scratching a sensor is a problem, please do a google search and see how scratched sensors can get.

https://www.google.c...&biw=1458&hl=en

Clear Skies !!

• Ron359 likes this

#25 Ron359

Ron359

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:33 PM

I had Lifepixel do a Canon M50 full spec mod' early this year, and just checked the old email chain.  They received it Feb. 1 and it was done on Feb. 4th.  I received back a few days later.  Its been working great.   Now if only the wildfire smoke and monsoon clouds would go away....     

• 17.5Dob and galacticinsomnia like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, DSLR, Imaging, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics