•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best/ most generic scope cell phone mount?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gert

Gert

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:18 PM

Hello All,

Our club is planning to restart outreach activities. One idea we've discussed is using cell phone mounts to allow visitors to get pictures of the Moon or planets with their phones. So they don't have to come in contact with eyepieces.
There are many phone adapter products out there. Do the experts here have recommendations??

* Needs to be generic so that visitors with any phone type are able to quickly get their phone attached / lined up with the scope.
* Durable for outreach use.
* Good quality.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Cheers
Gert

#2 Enance42

Enance42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alton Il.

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:32 PM

Celestron makes a pretty good one. It is a 3 axis phone holder that clamps onto the eyepiece. It can be adjusted side to side, up and down and in and out while on the eyepiece. I bought one and got some great pictures of the moon with it.

#3 SnowWolf

SnowWolf

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:07 PM

PhoneSkope makes a generic phone adapter that works pretty good.  You have to get a second part that is specific to the scope itself.

https://www.phonesko...nt-smart-phone/

They're not cheap, though.  A full setup will be over $100.

Note: I use their adapters for wildlife watching and digiscoping using a spotting scope and have been very happy with their products.

#4 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:36 PM

Our experience with outreach and cell phones was extensive before the pandemic. 

The most flexible, and quickest to move from one phone to another was the Celestron with the three axis adjustments. Takes a bit of practice knowing which position adjuster to twist which way to get the job done. But once you learn that, you can easily switch phones in 30-45 seconds, let them take pictures for a minute, and be on the second person within two minutes. It has gotten more complicated with the proliferation of lenses on the back of the phones. YOu have to be careful about using the zoom on the camera. (Don't use it because it switches to a different lens, which means you have to readjust the holder. But by the time you get it readjusted, the image could well have switched back to another lens!!!

We liked the ioptron also, but , that requires removing the eyepiece and holder from the tube repeatedly. The Celestron just means resetting the phone, then moving two of the adjusters until you find the lens.

By the way, our last outreach where we were with the public and able to use this device was at a school in Corona, California. Once the Corona virus hit, we had to stop!!!

Alex

#5 shawnmcarter

shawnmcarter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:26 AM

The Celestron NexYZ is probably the best generic one.  I would advise you have outreach participants attach the phone and eyepiece in a well light area first to get the correct X, Y, Z fit between eyepiece and camera aperture.  The PhoneSkope is 100% the best one out of the bunch, but it is phone specific and certainly more spendy. Although, the number of times I've disconnected the eyepiece holder from the case instead of releasing the eyepiece has made me want to yeet it into the forest next to where I observe.

#6 SnowWolf

SnowWolf

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:36 PM

The Celestron NexYZ is probably the best generic one.  I would advise you have outreach participants attach the phone and eyepiece in a well light area first to get the correct X, Y, Z fit between eyepiece and camera aperture.  The PhoneSkope is 100% the best one out of the bunch, but it is phone specific and certainly more spendy. Although, the number of times I've disconnected the eyepiece holder from the case instead of releasing the eyepiece has made me want to yeet it into the forest next to where I observe.

Phoneskope makes a generic adapter that can be adjusted for different phones.  But it takes a few minutes and a screwdriver to make that adjustment.

#7 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:53 PM

Remember, folks, we are talking about GENERIC here......It has to be able to move from one cell phone to the next with a minimum of adjustment and fuss. 

We got a line waiting....and it is getting longer as we adjust. 

Alex

#8 Gert

Gert

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2021 - 11:53 AM

Hello All,

Thank you for your feedback. It is much appreciated. The Celestron looks indeed like a good choice. We will probably try it out.

Thanks to all,

Gert

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics