•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sunspot AR2846 One Day to the Next

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:32 PM

As I'm in the process of practicing some newly-learned techniques for solar imaging and processing, I imaged sunspot AR2846 two days in a row... I believe; with 6 sunspots present at the same time now (and with the small FOV of the camera), it was hard to tell I was imaging the same one! But looking at each day's SDO/HMI image it seems they are both AR2846. In each, the orientation is slightly different with the sunspot in a slightly easterly position.

Both images were captured with a ZWO ASI120MC camera (in Mono8 mode in SharpCap, color added in post-processing) with the standard off-axis solar filter and a Baader Solar Continuum filter on my '65 Q. No Barlow was used, the camera was mounted directly into the slip-fit adapter attached to the scope's axial port. Best of 500 frames captured in SharpCap 2.9 and stacked using Autostakkert!2 (yes, it's an old laptop, but it works great with the older versions of the apps). Wavelets were applied using Registax 6.

Given that I was using a color camera, but capturing in mono, I presume I'm still not capturing the same level of resolution that I would have using a strictly mono camera, but it's all I have for now. wink.gif

Here's yesterday's image:

51329981795_3c49301dd9_z.jpg

And today's:

51330788796_2d10313ebf_z.jpg

These are work in progress, still learning and practicing the techniques involved. I was also struck by the difference in size and shape of the sunspot itself from one day to the next. I'm also impressed with the granular detail provided by the Continuum filter... and the Questar of course!

Cheers, Allan

• Mike Allen, ianatcn, TerryWood and 4 others like this

#2 PKH

PKH

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:07 PM

Nice Images Allan. You captured plenty of details to identify the region and easily see the daily changes. The brighter faculae toward the limb shows up well. Focus looks good and many small pores are visible. Definitely successful imaging sessions.

PK

• ETXer likes this

#3 Johninuk

Johninuk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nottingham UK

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:20 AM

Good captures Allan.Keep them coming.My solar imaging has ground to a halt over the last week,due to this heatwave over the UK destroying the seeing.I gave up using the standard off axis filter as I found it too dim and lacking contrast,so I use Baader 5.0 for visual and 3.8 for imaging now.

John.
  • ETXer likes this

#4 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:09 AM

Nice Images Allan. You captured plenty of details to identify the region and easily see the daily changes. The brighter faculae toward the limb shows up well. Focus looks good and many small pores are visible. Definitely successful imaging sessions.

PK

Thanks PK! Soon I'll have a monochrome camera then try again to see any resolution difference. But yes, overall I was happy with these, definitely better than previous attempts. Also I'm getting better with AS!, I used Registax exclusively before, it definitely provides a better result. 

Good captures Allan.Keep them coming.My solar imaging has ground to a halt over the last week,due to this heatwave over the UK destroying the seeing.I gave up using the standard off axis filter as I found it too dim and lacking contrast,so I use Baader 5.0 for visual and 3.8 for imaging now.

John.

Thanks John, hopefully they'll keep getting better! I was lucky with the seeing those days, we're in for the same weather pattern you're having now, so these will be it for a while. I'm slowly collecting the components I need for H-alpha with the Q, and seeing will be of primary importance when I get started.

Cheers, Allan 

#5 Johninuk

Johninuk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nottingham UK

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:27 AM

I'll be interested how you get on with Q H alpha. I've been contemplating doing the same on and off for a while,but what puts me off is reports of poor quality control of some Quarks reported in groups.
My Lunt 60DS I've had since 2009 is still giving stunning views as the day I bought it.
John
  • ETXer likes this

#6 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:13 AM

I'll be interested how you get on with Q H alpha. I've been contemplating doing the same on and off for a while,but what puts me off is reports of poor quality control of some Quarks reported in groups.
My Lunt 60DS I've had since 2009 is still giving stunning views as the day I bought it.
John

I've heard those reports as well, but Daystar seems to be very customer oriented and good to work with if any problems arise. I was trying to decide which H-alpha path to take when I came across a nice deal with a Combo Quark Chromosphere, and I started from there. A lot has to be done to make it work successfully and can be limiting with the inability to double stack.

My goal is to make images that I find pleasing and make the most out of what the Q can offer at the same time. Since you already have a Lunt 60, I don't think you can do much better when it comes to excellent H-alpha views and imaging potential in that price range, especially without any extra fuss. I might have gone that route myself had the Quark deal not presented itself. Mauri R. (mtr1) has posted some outstanding results here in this forum with the Quark/Q combination. If I can approach that level of excellence I'll be happy!

Cheers, Allan 

Edited by ETXer, 24 July 2021 - 08:05 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics