•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon D5300 connection issues with Backyard Nikon

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ozincm

Ozincm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chiangmai, Thailand

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:39 PM

I am having a serious issue with connecting my Nikon D5300 to Backyard Nikon. I am running this on a Windows 10 laptop. I have had no issues all was working perfectly then suddenly it failed to connect. I have tried everything I can think of at this stage.. I reinstalled the camera drivers, reinstalled BYN.. checked that the computer can see and recognise the camera. The camera shows up on the computer in the control panel so no issues there. It work perfectly with APT and other Nikon toComputer tethering software. Soi am at a loss of why I get no connection when using BYN. It suggests there is a USB problem but I tried other USB cables as well and the same issue.. no connection. Please if anyone has had similar problems and have managed to solve them please share your solution.. it would be much appreciated. I did try the software Forum run by OTelescope but no response after 1 week. 

#2 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern CA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:51 PM

How long is your USB cable?  BYN seems to be incredibly sensitive to a drop off in signal. If you have a cable any longer than say, 4 feet, probably should be using an active extension if you need more distance.  This seems to be a fairly common problem.  I had it as well but it was not a problem after getting an active extension cable. 

Probably should ask if you can get everything to work indoors with a short reach cable. 

Edited by AgilityGuy, 23 July 2021 - 10:53 PM.

#3 Ozincm

Ozincm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:55 PM

Thanks Joe.. but the cable is only 50cm long.. s before direct connection to the camera to see it it would work I ran it through a hib on my mount.. which worked flawlessly.. now unfortunately it will not connect at all .

#4 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:01 PM

Ok, have you seen this thread? https://www.cloudyni...ll-not-connect/

#5 Ozincm

Ozincm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Joe.. but the cable is only 50cm long..I performed direct computer connection to the camera to see it it would work, it did not connect. Previously I ran it through a hub on my mount.. which worked flawlessly.. now unfortunately it will not connect at all .

#6 Ozincm

Ozincm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:17 PM

Yes Joe I read through this thread.. it still does not help me with my problem. What perplexes me is the fact the camera will connect and work in other programs just not BYN.

#7 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:36 AM

Hmm, that's really odd that the camera stopped working with your BYN all of a sudden.

Do you want to try and use APT instead?

#8 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:17 AM

Yep, weird, especially if it worked before.  It's been too many months since I first got BYN, so I can't remember any troubles I may have had with initial connection.

I do recall having hangups and freezes in camera control, which after a little frustration I ultimately figured out was from having had the camera in Q (quiet) shutter mode.  But BYN was of course connected when those errors occurred, so I don't think that would be it.

#9 Ozincm

Ozincm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:37 AM

Yes it’s quite a puzzle… I have the logs and maybe OTelescope can help me..

#10 Ozincm

Ozincm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:38 AM

If I can’t get it working I may switch to APT… I need to try some more first.. as the weather is very poor at this time I have the time to hopefully solve this problem.

#11 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

Really strange.  It sounds like you've gone through all the reasonable troubleshooting steps.  Probably goes without saying  (but will anyway)- you've likely tried putting the camera into manual mode - not only manual but Bulb mode specifically?  Also make sure you're running the most up to date firmware.  I'm stumped. Good luck!  

#12 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:33 PM

Make sure the cable setting in BYN is set properly. If (for example) you’re using a DSUSB cable instead of USB, be sure BYN knows this.

Also, be sure when you first connect to BYN that you’re chosing the correct ‘vintage / software version’ for your camera. (Something like ‘before 2016’ or ‘after 2016’ - something like that.)
  • khobar likes this

#13 khobar

khobar

Viking 1

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:19 PM

Also, be sure when you first connect to BYN that you’re chosing the correct ‘vintage / software version’ for your camera. (Something like ‘before 2016’ or ‘after 2016’ - something like that.)

Good point. I've had the odd issue of connecting with BYN, and this is usually the source - I've changed from a D5100 to D5300 or back and forget which setting I need. 

I also had problems with my Dell laptop where one of the USB ports became flaky. Would not necessarily explain why OP's camera still works with everything but BYN, but who knows. 

#14 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

You don't accidentally have a card in the card slot....

#15 Ozincm

Ozincm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:09 PM

Thanks I will try to find an older version of my camera software.. and check the USB cable as well.. it cable settings in the general settings menu? Dave I have tried both wi5 a card in and without.. I will work on these suggestions today .. hopefully I will have some positive results. Thanks for everyone’s kind suggestions you are a great group of people.

#16 Ozincm

Ozincm

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:19 AM

Finally I have it working again.. thanks for all your kind help. In the end I removed  BYN from my computer and installed a much earlier version.. 2.1 and it worked.. so I will now leave it well alone.. I have in the mean time learnt alot about APT so maybe in future I will shift over to that. :)

• Mike in Rancho likes this

#17 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:09 AM

Finally I have it working again.. thanks for all your kind help. In the end I removed  BYN from my computer and installed a much earlier version.. 2.1 and it worked.. so I will now leave it well alone.. I have in the mean time learnt alot about APT so maybe in future I will shift over to that. smile.gif

Really?  I've been using 2.1.0 the whole time, but just downloaded 2.1.2 and was going to install it.  Is that the version that was giving you trouble, and did the trouble start right after upgrading?

The only reason I checked for a newer version was that the past week or two my BYN has been lagging or hanging up during the initial loading/splash screen.  I suspected maybe a Windows update doesn't sit well with it, so figured 2.1.2 might resolve that.

#18 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:37 AM

Glad to hear everything is working well now.  I forgot to mention that I’ve been using NINA along with my Nikon D800E for the past year or so and have liked it better than any of the other imaging softwares.   It supports and automates many more functions than just triggering the camera. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics