•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lx200 tube balance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 diceless

diceless

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:45 PM

Now that I have my guide scope and camera mounted I need to counter weight my tube. The Meade tube counter weight system is out of stock everywhere, what other options are out there?

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:10 AM

Now that I have my guide scope and camera mounted I need to counter weight my tube. The Meade tube counter weight system is out of stock everywhere, what other options are out there?

Well don,t quote me on it however I think ADM do OTA balancing kits for the Meade sct cassagrains and an Italian company called geoptik.as an alternative if you have a reasonable mechanical mind set could always make your own i did on my Meade 12”ACF and saved a lot of money in the process.

• diceless likes this

#3 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:55 AM

I use the Scopestuff balance kit on my 10".  I actually like it better than the Meade balance kit on my 8" SCT. 

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_baln1.htm

#4 diceless

diceless

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:31 AM

Supernova, would you mind sharing how you made your balance kit?

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:48 AM

Supernova, would you mind sharing how you made your balance kit?

Well just to add firstly you will never achieve perfect balance in useing an under carriage type OTA balancing system as it’s an azimuth mount at the end of the day.and the sole purpose of myself manufacturing one myself was when I added a heavy moonlight focuser! And heavy 2” eyepieces etc.however tho what I could do was have the OTA roughly balanced in a more horizontal position this allowed putting less strain on the Dec axis drive.

then again i own the Meade 12”ACF LX90 and you own the more substantial LX200 generally a more beefier heavier fork mount.then again if your using for solely imaging purposes you should be able to achieve a better balance as you will not be constantly changing accessories all the time like myself as I’m only using for visual purposes.the other option you could consider is introducing a 3D counter weight balancing system which comprises of weights at certain angles to compensate the additional accessories you may have like guide scope etc.which is a little trial and error and may take a little time to do.

Attached Thumbnails

• 18638524-5F3A-4640-8957-AE747D4AE50D.jpeg

#6 Peterson Engineering

Peterson Engineering

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:59 PM

The Scopestuff counterweights are pretty good as you want minimum weight on the support rails and usually a decent offset of the counterweight.  You may find the How to Balance an SCT writeup  we've posted at https://petersonengi...ncing-your-sct/  useful for optimizing balance while minimizing the load on the drives.

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:09 PM

The Scopestuff counterweights are pretty good as you want minimum weight on the support rails and usually a decent offset of the counterweight.  You may find the How to Balance an SCT writeup  we've posted at https://petersonengi...ncing-your-sct/  useful for optimizing balance while minimizing the load on the drives.

Lol I had a funny feeling you be around the corner Pete!?

#8 diceless

diceless

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:09 PM

The Scopestuff counterweights are pretty good as you want minimum weight on the support rails and usually a decent offset of the counterweight. You may find the How to Balance an SCT writeup we've posted at https://petersonengi...ncing-your-sct/ useful for optimizing balance while minimizing the load on the drives.

Thank you Pete for your write up. Looks like scopestuff is out of stock as well. I'm looking at the dovetail weight from ADM but it seems to be one size fits all. I just need to find out if their size fits my system.

#9 diceless

diceless

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:11 PM

Well just to add firstly you will never achieve perfect balance in useing an under carriage type OTA balancing system as it’s an azimuth mount at the end of the day.and the sole purpose of myself manufacturing one myself was when I added a heavy moonlight focuser! And heavy 2” eyepieces etc.however tho what I could do was have the OTA roughly balanced in a more horizontal position this allowed putting less strain on the Dec axis drive.

then again i own the Meade 12”ACF LX90 and you own the more substantial LX200 generally a more beefier heavier fork mount.then again if your using for solely imaging purposes you should be able to achieve a better balance as you will not be constantly changing accessories all the time like myself as I’m only using for visual purposes.the other option you could consider is introducing a 3D counter weight balancing system which comprises of weights at certain angles to compensate the additional accessories you may have like guide scope etc.which is a little trial and error and may take a little time to do.

Supernova, are those dumb bell weights that you are using?

#10 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:02 AM

Supernova, are those dumb bell weights that you are using?

Yes thay are each weight is 0.5 kg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics