•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Combining 2m and 3m subs - one stack or two?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:13 PM

I started out imaging M13 with 3 minute L subs and have several hours worth of data, but then decided to try 2 minute subs and they have less saturated stars. If I were to try to use both sets, can I combine all of them into one integration stack, or is it better to create separate 2m and 3m integrated stacks? I'm using PI for processing.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 dswtan

dswtan

Viking 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:31 PM

Juan himself says just combine. He wrote it:

https://pixinsight.c...209/#post-15642

Edited by dswtan, 23 July 2021 - 11:33 PM.

• DaveB, psandelle and ks__observer like this

#3 insertnamehere

insertnamehere

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:42 PM

Hi DaveB,

I think you should run calibration and debayer (if OSC) on each night separately, and then register and integrate all images together.

To me it is the same process as integrating images from several nights of observing, each night with its own flats and dark flats.

I'm sure it is not the only way, possible not the best way either, but it works for me.

I don't know how comfortable you are with PI so I'll give you the steps.

Normally, using the defaults, WBPP script will calibrate, de-bayer (from a OSC camera), register and integrate your images to produce the final image. In your case you will need to use WBPP for the calibration and debayer functions but turn off the registration and Integration and do that separately.

First load into WBPP the first night of light, dark, flats, bias, whatever us normally use.

Go to the the lights tab of WBPP and deselect the Apply box of "image registration" and "image integration".

Then "run" as usual.

Do this again for the second night of data. Each nights data is done separately.

The WBPP output will be a set of debayered images with darks and flats and bias applied.

Now for both nights images you need to register them to line them up, and Integrate them all to get the final image.

Use process>StarAlignment for all the images, and then process>ImageIntegration to finish the workflow.

You should now have the finished image correctly calibrated and stacked.

Hope this helps.

Chris

#4 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:56 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. I should have clarified that in my original post - I am planning on calibrating the subs separately, notably with different dark frames due to the different integration times. (I have a permanent setup, so I typically use the same flats for a while.) I was mostly asking about the image integration, i.e. whether I needed to two - one integration run on the 2m subs and one run on the 3m subs. But you and dswtan (and Juan C) all agree that the calibrated frames should be integrated together.

Thanks again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics