•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikkor 180 ED + ASI183MM Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC, USA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:44 PM

I am in the process of switching over to narrowband imaging an plan to use the following:

Nikkor 180 ED

ASI183MM Pro

ZWO Nikon adapter & filter drawer (provides 56 mm back focus with filter)

7 nm Ha and Oiii filters - 1.25" using the ZWO 2" to 1.25" adapter inside the drawer

Skywatcher Star Adventurer

ASI120MM + mini guide scope

Does anyone see any potential pitfalls with this plan? My previous setup was using an AT60ED and Nikon D5300. While this was really fun, I seemed to hit a wall with OSC and my Bortle 8 skies. In my area even Bortle 5 skies are more than an hour away, so this is my plan to get better quality data from the comfort and convenience of my yard. I had initially been scared away for NB imaging due to the much longer exposures that most seemed to suggest would be required (5+ min) and my less than ideal mount, but after doing some research and maths I have convinced myself it should be OK...

Using Dr. Glovers ideal exposure time calc: Exp(s) = C (constant, using value of 10) * R^2/P, where R is the read noise (e-/pixel/s) and P is the light pollution rate (e-/pixel/second), I get a calculated ideal exposure using the Nikkor lens (@f/4) and the ASI183MM with a 7nm bandpass filter of right at 120s. This calculation is supposed to give a reasonable target exposure time where the read noise is swamped by the sky background. 

I was able to get 2 min guided easily with the AT60ED/D5300 combo at an image scale of 2.24"/pixel, so I am confident that I can get at least this or more if needed at the 2.75"/pixel image scale that this setup would give. While 2.75"/pixel isn't ideal it's not much worse than I had before which gave good detail.

So again, does anyone see any large potential issues here? I've seen a lot of mention of the shallow well depth on the 183MM, should I be concerned about this shooting in Bortle 8 at 2-3 minute subs? I would plan to shoot 2-4 hours per night on each filter and then combine in post. Also I assume the 1.25" filters will be OK for 183MM with it's sensor dimensions. 

Any input or tips for success is appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:56 PM

I suspect you intend to shoot wide open but you may also want to try stopped down to say f/4 or even f/5 to get better stars along the edge. I have considered buying this lens for wide field and strapping it on my scope. 

You may also benefit from increasing the gain. I would guess 200, but others who have experimented with this exact camera may have better suggestion. 

I think you have an excellent plan. 

Edited by idclimber, 23 July 2021 - 11:57 PM.

#3 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC, USA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:18 AM

Idclimer, I was planning to shoot at f/4 which is one stop down on the 180 ED f/2.8. I have tested it at f/4 on my D5300 and can confirm it is very sharp. There is a little coma in the corners but it’s actually better than my AT60ED was in that regard even with the matched flattener.

PS: thanks for the input!

Edited by Ibuprofen200mg, 24 July 2021 - 12:20 AM.

• Shannon Foye likes this

#4 Alec

Alec

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:56 AM

Idclimer, I was planning to shoot at f/4 which is one stop down on the 180 ED f/2.8. I have tested it at f/4 on my D5300 and can confirm it is very sharp. There is a little coma in the corners but it’s actually better than my AT60ED was in that regard even with the matched flattener.

PS: thanks for the input!

I have just bought (a month ago) a Nikon ED 180/2.8, and have tested starry skies on m4/3.
I can also confirm f/4 is sharper and has much less CA than at f/2.8.
Also, I have tested the same lens with a SpeedBooster on m4/3, and that is very successful, sharper and faster.
Though I don't know if you can organise the adapters to suit the back spacing for mounting on the ASI.

Edited by Alec, 24 July 2021 - 06:57 AM.

#5 dayglow

dayglow

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:43 PM

With the ASI1600MM, I use the Nikon 180mm f/2.8 at f/3.5 by way of a step-down ring (I don't like diffraction spikes from the lens iris) and get good narrow band results with the provision that I focus meticulously for each filter.  I found a small Bhatinov mask with short ( 0.5 sec) exposures gave me better results than live view.

I did have to tinker with the working distance from lens bayonet to camera face just a little bit to get the outer parts of the image to have reasonably sharp stars.

The lens has considerable chromatic aberration so I found that LRGB or OSC imaging was not very good. 

• Ibuprofen200mg likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics