•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hyperstar 6 v3 specs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sunshine Coast, Australia

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:55 AM

Hi folks,

I bought a pre-loved Hyperstar 6 v3 but it came with no documentation and it appears Starizona's website has changed and no longer has the v3 information.

Does anyone have any info they can share on the unit? Back focus, for example, would be useful to know, but the more the better :)

Cheers,

Dunk

#2 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:59 AM

Starizona is usually very helpful. Have you tried calling or emailing? I'm sure they wouldn't turn you away empty handed.

Mike 

#3 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:02 AM

Thanks Mike, I'll give them a try.

Wondered if this was generic info that someone might just happen to know :D

#4 decep

decep

Messenger

• Loc: Georgia, US

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:46 PM

This page still has the original specs:  https://starizona.co...-specifications

44.3mm backfocus

There were some discrepancies in the specs.  The page above says the image circle is 11mm, but other places say 16mm.

• Dunkstar likes this

#5 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 24 July 2021 - 12:59 PM

The scopes do not use the same Hyperstar units.

The max chip size depends on the scope in use 6" / 8" / 9.25" / 11" / 14"

Edited by TxStars, 24 July 2021 - 12:59 PM.

#6 decep

decep

Messenger

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:06 PM

The scopes do not use the same Hyperstar units.

The max chip size depends on the scope in use 6" / 8" / 9.25" / 11" / 14"

Well, you win this round of "Tell me you did not click the link without telling me you did not click the link."  waytogo.gif 

• dnrmilspec likes this

#7 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:13 PM

44.3mm sounds pretty generous waytogo.gif  I only intend to use a 183 camera so it'll be interesting to see how the imaging circle works out, but it should be OK by the sound of it.

I've just got to convince the knurled ring around my secondary to unscrew...

#8 decep

decep

Messenger

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:43 PM

44.3mm sounds pretty generous waytogo.gif  I only intend to use a 183 camera so it'll be interesting to see how the imaging circle works out, but it should be OK by the sound of it.

I've just got to convince the knurled ring around my secondary to unscrew...

I have the same exact setup, C6, Hyperstar v3, and ASI183mc pro.  Keep in mind the back focus calculation starts at the base of the threads, not the end.

This post I believe shows a C6:  https://www.cloudyni...hyperstar-bits/

Setting the Hyperstar for "zero tilt" is really helpful too.  The picture shows a pretty good description on how to set the zero tilt.  I think I used dimes or pennies instead of nickels since they are thinner.  (Sorry, I do not know the currency in AU smile.gif )

I also ended up buying a ZWO T2 tilter adapter because you will soon discover that tilt you could get away with on a normal scope is just not sufficient at F/2 (if you want to do serious imaging), even with a smaller sensor like a 183.  Critical focus is literally measured in microns.

• Dunkstar likes this

#9 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:25 PM

Thanks mate waytogo.gif it's winter here with the MW overhead so I'm keen to get going with this thing.

Do I need to worry about my camera being cooled and wider than the HS, causing an obstruction? It's a QHY 183C.

fwiw we use $ and cents, although they're not worth as much lol.gif  I honestly would have to guess the sizes, we just don't use them...the adoption rates of electronic payments is the highest in the world, and with the current situation "real" cash is heavily frowned upon.

I'm going to see if I can find some thin metal shims locally...back in the day, we used to use that sort of thing for tuning spark plugs shocked.gif

#10 decep

decep

Messenger

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:51 PM

Man, QHYCCD sure makes finding the physical dimensions of camera difficult.

Regardless, the ASI183mc Pro is 78mm in diameter which is larger than the C6 central obstruction.  C6 Hyperstar V4 (I really want one) is designed for APS-C sensors and those cameras are usually even larger (ASI071mc pro is 83mm) which can be over 50% of the aperture diameter.  That is the price of f/1.9 smile.gif  Even with an 83mm obstruction, that is "only" 31% of the C6 aperture area (unless my math is wrong).

#11 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:27 PM

Yeah I was conscious of it defeating the purpose of using the scope for imaging in the first place... I mean, I know that some large imaging scopes have large secondaries, like RC etc.

My QHY looks like it is 76mm in diameter, but the error bars in my measurement would easily be 1-2mm lol.gif That's >50% of the aperture shocked.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics