•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

24-07-2021 AR2845-49 CORONADO PST

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk84

Dirk84

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 24 July 2021 - 02:55 AM

Hi,

It has been a while since I did any solar photography...
I still struggle a lot during post processing. I can't keep a consistent workflow.

It feels like I just slide some random settings and hope for the best...

Sometimes it turn out OK, but than I can't redo it for another shot... Frustrating and demotivating sometimes.

Here are 2 shots that made the final cut...

Personally I liked how AR2845 was just still visible and showing its effects as well.

Hope you like them as well.

Coronado PST - ASI178mm - AS!3 - Rstax6 - PS

2.jpg

1.jpg

• philmor56, rigel123, Ljubo and 11 others like this

#2 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:25 AM

Hi,

It has been a while since I did any solar photography...
I still struggle a lot during post processing. I can't keep a consistent workflow.

It feels like I just slide some random settings and hope for the best...

Sometimes it turn out OK, but than I can't redo it for another shot... Frustrating and demotivating sometimes.

Here are 2 shots that made the final cut...

Personally I liked how AR2845 was just still visible and showing its effects as well.

Hope you like them as well.

Coronado PST - ASI178mm - AS!3 - Rstax6 - PS

2.jpg

1.jpg

Sure looks professional to my untrained, just learning eye

• RNSpeed and Dirk84 like this

#3 lorenzo italy

lorenzo italy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Montichiari (Bs) Italy

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:05 AM

The photos are well done.
You definitely have a PST that works well.
For the elaboration, when I find a "recipe" that works I try to create a lineup, and I write it.
Surely after a week I will forget all the steps, while in this way I can have a reference to be able to redo the procedure.

Lorenzo

• LDW47 and Dirk84 like this

#4 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:20 AM

These look great. Especially like the bottom one.

If I have reasonable seeing  (which doesn't happen much in these parts ... even when the sky isn't completely white like it's been for the last five or six days) and I get some decent video, I do minimal processing. I use AutoStakkert, then pop the resulting image in Photoshop where I use the Nik Collection plugin (usually the HDR EFex Pro 2 part of the suite) and choose one of the presets that looks good. Maybe do a little tweeking with contrast and sharpening. That's it.

Edited by BeltofOrion, 24 July 2021 - 10:22 AM.

• Dirk84 likes this

#5 Vnl9

Vnl9

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Washington DC

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:31 PM

This is really great for a PST!  I have the same setup (PST/178) and your work inspires me to get similiar results!

#6 Dirk84

Dirk84

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:59 AM

The photos are well done.
You definitely have a PST that works well.
For the elaboration, when I find a "recipe" that works I try to create a lineup, and I write it.
Surely after a week I will forget all the steps, while in this way I can have a reference to be able to redo the procedure.

Lorenzo

Thank Lorenzo, I get what you are saying with the "recipe" I'm already taking the same steps but it is all about the values imho... But it is the same with the data I work with, some are better than the other and I still struggle with the ethalon. The sweet spot is a norrow band and I cant seem to have a nice full disk with detail all over. And a mosaic is not working for me so far due to vignetting.

These look great. Especially like the bottom one.

If I have reasonable seeing  (which doesn't happen much in these parts ... even when the sky isn't completely white like it's been for the last five or six days) and I get some decent video, I do minimal processing. I use AutoStakkert, then pop the resulting image in Photoshop where I use the Nik Collection plugin (usually the HDR EFex Pro 2 part of the suite) and choose one of the presets that looks good. Maybe do a little tweeking with contrast and sharpening. That's it.

Thanks for sharing you workflow, I have never heard of EFex, I will look it up for sure!

This is really great for a PST!  I have the same setup (PST/178) and your work inspires me to get similiar results!

VnI9 , believe me I only started around 6 months ago. So far I had some tips from a guy I met on Instagram but all has been achieved with trail and error (mostly error ).
Let me know if you have any specific question since we have te same setup.

Cheers
Dirk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics