•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Playful Jupiter moons ^_^

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Marco Lorenzi

Marco Lorenzi

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:21 AM

Hello everyone, a few months ago, preparing the list of mutual phenomena of Jupiter's satellites (PHEMU, i.e. mutual occultations and/or eclipses between the Medicean satellites that are repeating every 6 years including 2021). Simulating Jupiter appearance with WinJuPos the two months around the opposition, I came across a rather spectacular appearance expected the night of July 21st. Despite not being a true PHEMU, that night would have shown the three major moons (Europa, Ganymede and Callisto) "playing hide and seek" with Jupiter, with Europa casting her shadow on the planet while Ganymede and Callisto emerging from behind its back.

The (attached) WinJuPos screenshot promised a spectacular view if weather cooperated.

Several weeks later here I am, couple nights ago, to attempt to imaging the event thanks to a relatively cloudless night, a surprising luck considering the later weather conditions.

For the occasion I used a color camera (ASI 224MC) on my C14, in order to maximize the number of usable sequences in the short available intervals, limited by the rapid rotation of the satellites with respect to the planet. Unfortunately, the sampling was not ideal (I don't have a barlow optimized to work at f/20 with the 224MC) but still manageable.

I started with a "warm up" image, about an hour before the planned event, which confirmed the seeing was pretty good.

Then, just before 19:00 UT (3 am from me) I started to collect 60-second videos separated by a minute interval, a combination calculated to cover the event with the greatest number of shots considering the space available on my SSD.

In the end I collected 32 clips of almost 6 GB each, which I processed and combined to create an animated gif.

here is the link https://www.glitteri...ystem/i-k6fPhzN.

Observing the moons dancing around live was trilling, as was the fact that, despite the relatively high noise of the single shots (which are limited to just a single minute without derotation!), I could as well record details on both Ganymede and Callisto which are in agreement with the WinJuPos simulation.

Ultimately a great evening that I will remember for a while, hoping to have some luck again with some of the real PHEMU events scheduled for next month..

Clear skies
Marco

Edited by Marco Lorenzi, 24 July 2021 - 03:30 AM.

• gfeulner, John Boudreau, james7ca and 3 others like this

#2 Marco Lorenzi

Marco Lorenzi

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:22 AM

Here is a panel showing 4 of the most spectacular frames of the video

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter_20210721_4xPanel.jpg

• Sunspot, Magellanico, sfugardi and 19 others like this

#3 Marco Lorenzi

Marco Lorenzi

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 03:23 AM

And here is the "warm up" image, this time with the "luxury" of derotation (10 60 seconds videos in fact)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-07-21-1801_8-L-Jupiter_final.jpg

Edited by Marco Lorenzi, 24 July 2021 - 03:25 AM.

• Magellanico, sfugardi, Kenny V. and 16 others like this

#4 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:19 AM

Those are all nice captures and while I don't normally like having the moons really close to the Jupiter (for my own work) you've shown that these types of events can produce some splendid results. Thanks for posting.

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:49 AM

Really nice Marco, I had a go at the appearance and disappearance of Ganymede and Callisto a few hours earlier in poor conditions, but I was completely clouded over for this one.

I don't know if you saw my previous thread on some of these Jovian moon interactions, but I'm hoping to catch a few more of these soon. Is there a website dedicated to these interactions?

Andrew

#6 Lopper

Lopper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:03 AM

Fantastic work! Having the moons so close together allows a nice comparison of their relative sizes and albedos. Thanks for sharing!

#7 Marco Lorenzi

Marco Lorenzi

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:57 AM

Thank you James, Andrew and Lopper for the appreciation, and thanks also to all others leaving a "like" ;)

Really nice Marco, I had a go at the appearance and disappearance of Ganymede and Callisto a few hours earlier in poor conditions, but I was completely clouded over for this one.

I don't know if you saw my previous thread on some of these Jovian moon interactions, but I'm hoping to catch a few more of these soon. Is there a website dedicated to these interactions?

Andrew

Thanks for highlighting this, I didn't see your post before and it is nice we imaged to different moment of the same "dance" :)

As far as I know there is only the Observatory of Paris which is managing an observing campaign with scientific targets involving amateurs. You can find all the details here: https://www.imcce.fr...ns/phemus/phemu

I will also drop some more comments on your post.

Thank you all again

Marco

• Tulloch likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics