•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Altair Astro Starwave ED-R focuser question

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ivor Redtorch

Ivor Redtorch

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oxford UK

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:40 AM

Hi All

I have an Altair Astro Starwave and it has a focuser as in the photos below (it's not an 80ED but it has the same focuser).

The focuser has a handy rotate feature, I can rotate it on Teflon bearings. My problem is that I can't stop it rotating. Consequently, my finderscope drops under the OTA if I bump it with my head. I can see two screws on the focuser that look like they lock things. These are shown by the red arrows in the photos below. The one marked "Locks focuser" stops my focuser travelling in or out if I tighten it, which is what I would expect.

The screw in the other photo seems to do nothing. I would expect it to be the one that stops the rotation of the focuser, but I have tightened it as much as I can by hand and it is having no effect. I have marked it as "Locks rotation?" in the photo.

Before I get out the pliers and really tighten it, I wanted to ask if anyone has experience of this focuser and can confirm that I have identified the correct screw to be tightening to stop the rotation?

Also, is there any other part that I need to tighten or align in order to get that screw to lock (assuming that it is the right one).

There's no user guide, or anything like that, available for this OTA (at least I haven't found one, nothing came with it). The vendor has a reputation on here for not answering phone/emails. I have also found this to be so. Consequently, I am asking CN because it might be quicker.

Thank you All

Ivor

PS The OTA is otherwise really great.

SWfocuser01
SWfocuser02

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics