•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Full Moon and Clouds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:49 AM

Taken on Saturday morning, July 24 using a Nikon D5100 and a Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm lens at its 300mm focal length. This was the first image that I took immediately after framing and focusing and although I tried for a good while afterward to get something better the clouds closed in so quickly that this was the only image that warranted processing (a situation that seems to happen way too often, the overcast always turns worse, never to the better).

According to the Old Farmer's Almanac the full moon in July is known as the "Buck Moon" (since the antlers of male deer are in rapid growth at this time of the year).

Thanks for looking and C&C welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Full Moon July 24 2021.jpg

• Magellanico, Mark9473, John Gauvreau and 8 others like this

#2 B 26354

B 26354

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:58 AM

That is a really beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing!

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:06 PM

B 26354, thanks.

If I'd gotten more time with only partially cloudy skies it would have been an excellent opportunity for these kinds of shots, given that the moon was full. As it was, I didn't get another break in the clouds (only total overcast) even though I checked about every fifteen minutes for almost two more hours.

Edited by james7ca, 25 July 2021 - 12:11 PM.

#4 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:30 PM

James, this looks nice.  I saw the same thing out my window last night and ran outside quickly to grab a few images.  There were brief periods of ideal conditions, in which the clouds subdued the intensity of the Moon just enough to get a good exposure of everything.  

#5 RMay

RMay

Viking 1

• Loc: NorCal

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:40 AM

It is certainly a night for clouds. Can you spot Saturn? Taken this evening, iPhone 12 Pro.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• 4F0B0029-BD5D-4115-AB8D-27BC5B260B6E.jpeg

#6 Borodog

Borodog

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:44 AM

That's a great photo, James. If anything I think you could raise the gamma (or some similar method) to bring up the clouds; there's a lot of beautiful detail and color in there. See Tom's similar photo, in which I think the clouds are treated pretty much perfectly.

#7 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:03 PM

That's a great photo, James. If anything I think you could raise the gamma (or some similar method) to bring up the clouds; there's a lot of beautiful detail and color in there. See Tom's similar photo, in which I think the clouds are treated pretty much perfectly.

The effect depends greatly on the cloud cover and you can see in Tom's photo that the moon was less bright than in my image which makes it possible to bring out more detail in the clouds (since the clouds are brighter in comparison to the moon). I've done lots of images like this over the years and the conditions can change drastically from second to second and it's almost pure luck to get just the right combination of clouds and brightness on the moon. Unfortunately, I only had one image that was even close to being usable and shortly after I took this image you couldn't even see the moon or even its glow through the clouds.

Below is one of my images from eight years ago that turned out a little better (taken with the same camera and lens that was used above).

Attached Thumbnails

• Full Moon and Clouds (small).jpg

Edited by james7ca, 25 July 2021 - 10:35 PM.

• chakel and Borodog like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics