•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Expensive and aggravating night

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TNDeputy

TNDeputy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 06:59 AM

Before I even got my 6" XT6 outside, I caught the RA finder scope on a metal railing, knocking it off the scope and busting it into two pieces of junk.  Then while viewing Jupiter, I dropped a GSO 20mm EP, with a Baader-Planetarium Neodymium Moon and Skyglow filter on it, and it landed on concrete,

The good news is that Jupiter and Saturn were unharmed, and beautiful; and the GSO was relatively inexpensive.  It could have been one of my pricey EP's. I have been wanting to try a laser pointer anyway.  The sky was a bit hazy and someone left the full moon on high power, what a waste of electricity.  Viewing was beautiful non the less.  

Best views were from my BST 15mm, which really isn't a shock.  It has become a favoring little EP for me.

Orion XT6 6, " f/8

Baader-Planetarium Neodymium Moon and Skyglow filter

40 mm Plossl, 25mm BST, 15mm BST, 10mm Explore Scientific 10mm

Two feline astronomy assistants.  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#2 firemachine69

firemachine69

Ranger 4

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:18 AM

I sort of view it this way... I've spent more than that entire setup on one single night of chasing ladies in my youth (lol.gif), so even if I lost your entire setup up to a catastrophic volcano or something, I'm still ahead in life, because I'm not waiting for the test results of one or two blue lines... grin.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Edited by firemachine69, 24 July 2021 - 07:18 AM.

• kjkrum likes this

#3 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:21 AM

Moving to Solar System Observing.

smp

#4 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Limerick, Ireland

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:23 AM

I hope the views compensated some for the expense.

• TNDeputy likes this

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 24 July 2021 - 07:29 AM

I sort of view it this way... I've spent more than that entire setup on one single night of chasing ladies in my youth (lol.gif), so even if I lost your entire setup up to a catastrophic volcano or something, I'm still ahead in life, because I'm not waiting for the test results of one or two blue lines... grin.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Yes i remember those days chasing ladies,similer to fine art oil paintings from a distance you have your beer goggles on thay look genuine at first,then you get up all close and personal turns out not to be the real McCoy after all.

lol.

#6 rzep8

rzep8

Viking 1

• Loc: Flemington, NJ

Posted 24 July 2021 - 08:30 AM

Ah... the Universe can be a harsh mistress can't she?

#7 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 24 July 2021 - 09:00 AM

A positive is that you don't need an excuse to upgrade anything you have broken.

• kjkrum likes this

#8 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, you need a new RACI.   I believe the 20" dob comes with one....you can use it on both.  This method is more expensive, but comes complete with the 20" dob....hard to beat a RACI that comes with a 20" dob grin.gif

• firemachine69, Dobs O Fun and TNDeputy like this

#9 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 24 July 2021 - 10:45 AM

Friendly reminder that CN is a family-oriented forum. Please remain on topic.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:48 AM

I always set up my scopes on grass so if anything falls, no harm is done.

• TNDeputy likes this

#11 TNDeputy

TNDeputy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:03 PM

I always set up my scopes on grass so if anything falls, no harm is done.

You know........  That's a thought, but I hate wolf spiders, and I once had a spider (Just and Orb Spider), try and take up residence in my OTA.  shocked.gif

Maybe I should just treat an area with 7's Dust.  smile.gif

#12 stubeeef

stubeeef

Apollo

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 24 July 2021 - 01:45 PM

On the grass -put down an inexpensive outdoor rug from or swath of fake grass from Lowes/Home depot

Edited by stubeeef, 24 July 2021 - 01:46 PM.

#13 Rick Runcie

Rick Runcie

Vostok 1

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:13 AM

I thought that too about the grass. I dropped a pair or should I say my diagonal dropped a pair of Zeiss binoviewers on concrete. All it did was knock them out of alignment and they were easily aligned. I made it a point to set up my refractor on grass from that point on. It happened a month later probably not even that the diagonal dumped them again onto grass. This time the prism was shattered. Now I have a $900 paperweight.
Best regards, Richard

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics