•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So I bought a Orion 9x50 RACI for my XT8 just to try it out and...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:29 AM

Don's scheme works but it's not ideal..

I have a 50 mm StellarVue finder. It's a good finder but I would not say the optical quality is all that high. Much better optically is the Astro-Tech 50mm RACI finder. I was able to split Porrima with mine. The StellarVue has issues at higher magnifications.

But the StellarVue is plenty good enough for a finder and is F/4 rather than F/5 and more compact than the Astro-Tech and provides a wider field of view with the same eyepiece.

Jon

My Stellarvue finder seems equal to my Antares finder, maybe a hair better and much better optically than my GSO finder. I haven't tried it at high power. The idea of using nebula filters with it would be for wide field low power views of large nebula so I could see the whole thing, while viewing portions of them at higher power in my dob. So I was thinking of using a 16mm Nagler.

Is this the AT finder of which you speak? https://www.astronom...-trim-3475.html

It's the only AT finder I can find on their site and it looks like it is on clearance.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 27 July 2021 - 03:35 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#27 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:09 AM

My Stellarvue finder seems equal to my Antares finder, maybe a hair better and much better optically than my GSO finder. I haven't tried it at high power. The idea of using nebula filters with it would be for wide field low power views of large nebula so I could see the whole thing, while viewing portions of them at higher power in my dob. So I was thinking of using a 16mm Nagler.

Is this the AT finder of which you speak? https://www.astronom...-trim-3475.html

It's the only AT finder I can find on their site and it looks like it is on clearance.

That's it.  

AgenaAstro has a set of rings for $40.  

https://agenaastro.c...base-dfb50.html

Here is a link to a discussion of the finder as an RFT.

https://www.cloudyni...45-50mm-f5-rft/

For star hopping, I think the StellarVue is the better finder because it offers a wider field of view.  As an RFT, the Astro-Tech is the better finder but it is heavier.

Jon

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#28 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

No Kick - Mount Marker Lights

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 19 August 2021 - 11:29 AM

Ok, ready for the less than perfect but works low tech approach?

I just use a zip tie for security sake.

-Lauren 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2260.JPG

Edited by Sky_LO, 19 August 2021 - 03:29 PM.

• Bistromath and HasAnyoneSeenMyNebula like this

#29 HasAnyoneSeenMyNebula

HasAnyoneSeenMyNebula

Ranger 4

Posted 19 August 2021 - 10:56 PM

I just had this issue the other day. The finder didn’t fall but I was putting a finder on a used Newtonian and could not figure out why the stop tab was in the back and not the front. I was thinking maybe the finder mount was installed backwards on the scope from the factory. I cannot fathom why this would be intentional.

#30 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 20 August 2021 - 11:01 AM

Get a hand drill and a drill bit just slightly larger diameter than the screw. 

Drill a small hole (not all the way thru just a small divot) where the screw meets the finder bracket.  It's probably all scratched up and will be easy to see.

Now when you tighten the screw it also locks the finder bracket in place so it can't slide backwards if the screw is not super tight.

Edited by Tom Stock, 20 August 2021 - 11:01 AM.

• Ash_403 and Noto like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics