•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Personal best Jupiter 7/23….thanks to everyone!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mayhem13

mayhem13

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:39 PM

Couldn’t have reached this level of detail without all of you amazing people…..what a fantastic community!0900F37C-20EA-44D1-80FB-A6BF5F97C0C0.jpeg

Seeing was ok….I’ve had better. Manual tracking was a nightmare as I did the capture as she was rising to 36 degrees. But the ONE thing that mad this possible thanks to Andrew (Tulloch) was the addition of an electronic focuser…….DIY style with the generic version of the Orion Accufocus.

• Sunspot, Magellanico, lukasik and 18 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:08 AM

Great image (although I can't claim responsibility for the electronic focuser, I still do it manually :)) and well processed too.

The only thing I would suggest is to reduce the size of the final image (by at least 50%) - it's just too large, it will look a lot better if reduced to more normal size.

Andrew

• George Bailey and KiwiRay like this

#3 mayhem13

mayhem13

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:04 AM

Great image (although I can't claim responsibility for the electronic focuser, I still do it manually smile.gif) and well processed too.

The only thing I would suggest is to reduce the size of the final image (by at least 50%) - it's just too large, it will look a lot better if reduced to more normal size.

Andrew

Ooops….you’re right Andrew!…..it was Matt from Tx who insisted on accurate focus! Lol. What a difference the ability to properly focus on the fly!…….but since my ‘focus’ was on focusing, tracking suffered and I was limited on this one to a single capture of 7600 frames over 3 minutes…..shoulda been 12k frames over 2 minutes…….

#4 mayhem13

mayhem13

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:52 AM

EADB5FDB-5DA4-4690-99A1-9C160CB6BAA2.jpeg

reduced to 1/3 as requested!

#5 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:41 AM

Ooops….you’re right Andrew!…..it was Matt from Tx who insisted on accurate focus! Lol. What a difference the ability to properly focus on the fly!…….but since my ‘focus’ was on focusing, tracking suffered and I was limited on this one to a single capture of 7600 frames over 3 minutes…..shoulda been 12k frames over 2 minutes…….

Well, accurate focus should always be the aim, however you do it :). I think I remember remarking that it takes me a few minutes to be sure of my focus before each video I make. But once you are confident you have a good focus, try to take a few videos one after the other, or even a single long video (10-15 min) and stack 3 min sections of it in AS!3 using the "Limit" tool (you can set the start and stop frame using this option). The best part of doing it this way is that after you "Analyse" the video in AS!3, it will show you the best part of the video to stack, that section with the highest quality factor.

However, you can certainly see the effects of your improved technique, clear bands, a train of white ovals, good colour balance. Compare this with the first image you posted to this forum :)

Andrew

#6 mayhem13

mayhem13

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the Limit tip Andrew!…..I’ll try that next.

Couldn’t have improved from that first cooked blurry Jupo in a month without you folks!

The EQ platform should be complete by the end of this week……it will be nice to NOT have to constantly focus on tracking instead of the capture! Here’s hoping to at least ONE more night of great seeing before Jupiter lowers in the horizon. For me, it’ll still be at 36 degrees on opposition…..hopefully everything will align…..seeing,location,tracking and time!

• Tulloch likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics