•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SDM #90 is coming!

Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#26 Dobs O Fun

Dobs O Fun

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:15 PM

Complements from me. Will serve you wonderfully.
  • m11 likes this

#27 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:34 PM

Beautiful scope!  Congratulations!

• m11 likes this

#28 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:38 PM

Hi Matt, 

I wholeheartly agree with you Matt. waytogo.gif

It was me who wanted a finderscope firstly to be clear. I don't think you have all the details a__l. I am sure there are many others with more years of viewing. laugh.gif

Love the SDM scopes and plan to acquire 2 more after the 24inch as validation I consider them exceptional craftsmanship and quality. If I could get more I would.

What I have noticed through your various posts is a negative vibe. confused1.gif  

Watch out, he'll soon be insisting that you do a star test of your scope!  lol.gif

• Kunama, m11 and sanbai like this

#29 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Dobs O Fun and Turtle86. bow.gif

I am super stoked and can't wait to get the scope in my hands. The scope definitely will be transported to a dark site location to view as my place is bortle 6. I can't wait to see it stretch its legs under truly dark skies, I truly believe it will be a life changing experience. smile.gif

Edited by m11, 25 July 2021 - 11:27 PM.

• turtle86 and Dobs O Fun like this

#30 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:58 PM

I'm lucky to have seen a few SDM scopes and observe with one for several nights in western NSW and to have spent time one evening with Peter in Newcastle. I seriously doubt there are more well made, fully considered scopes made anywhere. Congratulations m11. And Mr. Read is a master of customer service as well as a masterful designer/builder of some of the finest large Dobs. 

• turtle86, HellsKitchen, Kunama and 2 others like this

#31 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:32 PM

I'm lucky to have seen a few SDM scopes and observe with one for several nights in western NSW and to have spent time one evening with Peter in Newcastle. I seriously doubt there are more well made, fully considered scopes made anywhere. Congratulations m11. And Mr. Read is a master of customer service as well as a masterful designer/builder of some of the finest large Dobs. 

Thanks Havasman. You are much luckier than I am to be able to view in the Southern Skies with some SDM scopes, first class all the way! bow.gif  

I totally agree, I see Pete as a buddy and Pete is always happy to help out and answer any questions as well. 

I would love to own more SDM scopes, told Pete to save SDM serial number #94 and #95 as well for me. lol.gif  One can only dream. smile.gif

Edited by m11, 25 July 2021 - 11:33 PM.

• Kunama likes this

#32 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:40 PM

Mel, you're going to need a Mack low-loader to get to Star Parties.... that sure is a nice looking scope.  I've been able to view through some of Peter's most recent creations, Chris's 28" 'Nocturne' and Allan's 32" 'Black Widow' as well as a couple of dozen other SDM's.... You're in for a treat when you take that 24 to some dark skies.

Edited by Kunama, 25 July 2021 - 11:49 PM.

• m11 likes this

#33 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:08 AM

Mel, you're going to need a Mack low-loader to get to Star Parties.... that sure is a nice looking scope.  I've been able to view through some of Peter's most recent creations, Chris's 28" 'Nocturne' and Allan's 32" 'Black Widow' as well as a couple of dozen other SDM's.... You're in for a treat when you take that 24 to some dark skies.

Haha so true , my friends have suggested getting an old bus to transport with a lift to raise it to the roof as a platform. I am worried that ASIO might come after me as it would look like a mobile missile launcher. lol.gif

Ahh, you are lucky, I that would have been heaps of fun and super exciting. I saw Chris' 28inch Fullum SDM creation and it looks amazing!  Allan's 32inch SDM and 16inch SDM are both truly stunning works of art, you could put it in a modern museum and it would not look out of place.  I am sure the views would be on a totally another level that would be mind blowing.  bow.gif

I have realised that spending time with many others that our time is limited, you want to make the most of it. I am hoping that when I go , I have no regrets and I have had a chance to share the night sky with others to provide an experience that they will remember as well. I hope that these scopes go someway to making this happen for others and putting a smile and a memory they will cherish. 

If you ask my wife , she just thinks I am plain nuts to be standing in the cold or dodging mosquitos being outside. lol.gif

SDM #93 I am thinking of going away from the traditional red stain look - like a Sci FI decal and gunmetal grey look. Pete did suggest pink unicorns and rainbows which my daughter would love. grin.gif

I hope to catch up one day with all of you at the next SDM party, I wasn't able to make the inaugural one. 

Edited by m11, 26 July 2021 - 12:25 AM.

• Kunama likes this

#34 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Gemini

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:01 AM

Just on that point, since you are often claiming that there is a big difference, perhaps someone could weigh a Paracorr 2, I'm really doubtful that the difference between the weight of the SIPS and the weight of the P2 will make any difference to the balance of a 24" Dobsonian.......

For comparison I have just weighed the SIPS unit and its optics and it weighs 369 grams.  The Paracorr would have to be less than half that to make any difference.

Just for giggles as well as my eyepiece/observing gear cupboard is right beside me. What really surprised me was how heavy the 1.25” adapter is. I had to go back and put it on the scale and true it came in at 97g.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• 8B87DD0A-284B-4AF2-B775-FF711301F309.jpeg
  • FB3531BD-67A1-444C-81FC-16900D71AFA8.jpeg

• turtle86, Kunama, m11 and 2 others like this

#35 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:33 AM

Just for giggles as well as my eyepiece/observing gear cupboard is right beside me. What really surprised me was how heavy the 1.25” adapter is. I had to go back and put it on the scale and true it came in at 97g.

Bill

Hey Bill,

I also weighed my 1.25" adapter and got 95 grams.  So it would seem the SIPS is actually 17 grams lighter than the Paracorr II.  lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

That's lucky for m11, he won't need to add extra counterweights after all cool.gif

Edited by Kunama, 26 July 2021 - 01:40 AM.

• havasman and m11 like this

#36 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:34 AM

Hey Bill,

I also weighed my 1.25" adapter and got 95 grams.  So it would seem the SIPS is actually 17 grams lighter than the Paracorr II.  lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

That's lucky for m11, he won't need to add extra counterweights after all cool.gif

Hahha, Isn't  he lucky doesn't need to worry about it! laugh.gif

haha - not that it was a worry for me to begin with. wink.gif

Nice research and confirmation. waytogo.gif

Edited by m11, 26 July 2021 - 02:43 AM.

• havasman likes this

#37 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:02 PM

Looks nice for sure. I'm gonna need a bigger door if i had it.

Mate, M11 has an F/6.3  12" SDM / Mark Sutching (one of the best mirror makes ever) Mirror pending in his profile. When do you plan to mob him?

• m11 likes this

#38 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:10 PM

OK folks...I just took the time to clean up this thread of the off topic posts. This thread is about the celebration of purchasing a custom built telescope and sharing in that...not about picking apart why the op ordered or didn't order what he did. Be forewarned that any further criticisms or replies to same will be unceremoniously removed without any notification.

• Moravianus, turtle86, astrokeith and 5 others like this

#39 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:18 PM

I’m so happy for you Mel that your plans and dreams are coming to fruition. A lot of the fun and satisfaction of getting a big scope is the journey leading up to the delivery. All these acclaimed people in the industry you now get to call friends. Obviously the main party is just about to start once you take delivery and start bonding with the scope. I remember after getting my big scope, everything I looked at for months was a lifetime best view. You’re in for your own big scope treat now.

I expect when we can eventually run another SDM star party that you’ll bring your whole fleet of SDM dobs along. Better start looking around for that bus.

• havasman, m11 and Augustus like this

#40 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:01 PM

Mate, M11 has an F/6.3  12" SDM / Mark Sutching (one of the best mirror makes ever) Mirror pending in his profile. When do you plan to mob him?

Lol lol.gif

Chaslx200 and everyone else is welcome to view through it. That scope might be a bit of a wait as there is a backlog for Pete to get through. smile.gif

In discussions the plan is to have a smaller secondary to optimise the scope for planetary viewing.

I count myself lucky to grab that mirror last year. I think there was at least a dozen people wanting it. 

Edited by m11, 26 July 2021 - 06:14 PM.

• HellsKitchen likes this

#41 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:12 PM

I’m so happy for you Mel that your plans and dreams are coming to fruition. A lot of the fun and satisfaction of getting a big scope is the journey leading up to the delivery. All these acclaimed people in the industry you now get to call friends. Obviously the main party is just about to start once you take delivery and start bonding with the scope. I remember after getting my big scope, everything I looked at for months was a lifetime best view. You’re in for your own big scope treat now.

I expect when we can eventually run another SDM star party that you’ll bring your whole fleet of SDM dobs along. Better start looking around for that bus.

Hey Allan,

I hope things are well for you?

Many thanks Allan, so true regarding the journey and the experience leading up to delivery. Yourself in particular know the journey well and the time and the emotions involved and invested to get to this point. bow.gif

The people that I have met I can call friends is what I treasure more which makes the hobby so much more. It is a truly life changing bonding experience that I will always be grateful for.

You SDM scope looks amazing and would imagine a definite life changing experience.bow.gif  It would be the star attraction , pardon the pun. grin.gif

I can't wait to get some viewing time on the scope and also be able to share it with others as well. I think this is one of the best parts in that you can share the experience and hobby with others and just plain old have fun together out viewing.flowerred.gif

Hahah awesome, I would love to come to the next SDM party. waytogo.gif  Yep, that is another plan I need to get sorted with transport, first obstacle is wife. lol.gif  

Edited by m11, 26 July 2021 - 06:13 PM.

#42 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:46 PM

I would be lost in the south skies but would love to see stuff i am on the edge off in FL.  Omega looks ok from my home, but being down under it has to really look good being out of the murk.

• m11 likes this

#43 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:52 PM

Dream scope, and high on my list if I ever take the plunge! All the best with that beauty, the views are going to be amazing!

• m11 likes this

#44 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:07 PM

I would be lost in the south skies but would love to see stuff i am on the edge off in FL.  Omega looks ok from my home, but being down under it has to really look good being out of the murk.

Hi Chaslx200,

If you are ever down in Australia , Victoria you are most welcome to view through the scopes. smile.gif  I do like Omega Centauri but 47 Tuc really smacks you in the face as well!

• sopticals likes this

#45 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:11 PM

Dream scope, and high on my list if I ever take the plunge! All the best with that beauty, the views are going to be amazing!

Thank Speedy. smile.gif

I sincerely wish all the best with the choice you make with the scope. I know there is a fair bit planning, research and asking questions which is an interesting part of the journey as Allan mentioned post #40.

In regards to the scope builders, I feel super lucky and privilege that SDM telescopes is in my home state. There was no question if I could pull the resources I would go anywhere else to have my premium scope made. I wish we had more mirror makers in Australia as that is a current gap. bawling.gif

#46 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:09 PM

You will find having a big scope is like having a big boat. You suddenly have a lot more friends than you thought you did. Which is fine by me. I get regular PM’s from people asking if they can come and look through the 32”. I think I get as big a thrill showing them the sky in a big scope as they do.

I’ve often thought if Peter Read lived in the US we would be on a 10 year waiting list for our dobs, a bit like Astrophysics. I’m glad he is tucked away down here for our benefit.

• peleuba, Kunama, havasman and 2 others like this

#47 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:15 PM

Hi Chaslx200,

If you are ever down in Australia , Victoria you are most welcome to view through the scopes. smile.gif  I do like Omega Centauri but 47 Tuc really smacks you in the face as well!

Omega Centauri looks great in any scope, but almost starts to get blown out in big scopes because it’s so bright. 47 Tuc is definitely my favourite globular in the sky. There’s masses of blue and orange stars everywhere in the big scopes.

• Aperturefever, Kunama, havasman and 1 other like this

#48 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:49 PM

You will find having a big scope is like having a big boat. You suddenly have a lot more friends than you thought you did. Which is fine by me. I get regular PM’s from people asking if they can come and look through the 32”. I think I get as big a thrill showing them the sky in a big scope as they do.

I’ve often thought if Peter Read lived in the US we would be on a 10 year waiting list for our dobs, a bit like Astrophysics. I’m glad he is tucked away down here for our benefit.

Lol , love the analogy. I don't mind at all having more friends to view with as my family has no interest in viewing.

Ahh that would be fun to be able to provide your fine 32inch to allow people to view the heavens and give a life changing experience. waytogo.gif

Yah I know what you mean, I get a kick out of it as well as I think as you do its exciting and fun to see others see things they have never seen and not sure what it is.  I tried to explain to people what you can see as its hard to get people to come have a look. The people that do have a curiosity  and come have a look I love the reactions, definitely memorable for me.

Haha so true, we are so lucky to have Peter in Australia, haha its like our hidden golden goose. laugh.gif  My aim is too keep Pete busy for the next 10 years.

#49 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:35 AM

Well I spent 7 years on the SDM waiting list. But like a good prison sentence, some of that was served concurrently while I waited for both the 32” and 16”.

I’m more than happy with SDM #100 and #101. I don’t need a dob smaller than my 16”, because I have my refractors to fill that space. If I get something bigger than the 32”, I’ll move into the metal designed dobs. I’ve used a lot of Starstructure dobs, and am highly impressed by those. I would say they are the dobs that rival SDM’s from anything I’ve seen around the world.

• m11 likes this

#50 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:44 AM

Well I spent 7 years on the SDM waiting list. But like a good prison sentence, some of that was served concurrently while I waited for both the 32” and 16”.

I’m more than happy with SDM #100 and #101. I don’t need a dob smaller than my 16”, because I have my refractors to fill that space. If I get something bigger than the 32”, I’ll move into the metal designed dobs. I’ve used a lot of Starstructure dobs, and am highly impressed by those. I would say they are the dobs that rival SDM’s from anything I’ve seen around the world.

Wow, that is a decent amount of time, ahah laugh.gif

I think you are in a good spot , you have all the bases covered. I have seen the Starstructure dobs are they do look nice.

The plan for me is to save for a technofusion mirror of at least 32inches in size, if I can wait longer maybe a 36inch to add to the SDM stable. lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics