•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SDM #90 is coming!

Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:20 AM

We’ve had a couple of technofusion mirrors get sent back after making the journey here. Knowing what I know, I wouldn’t go down that path. I think if you’re spending a small fortune on a primary mirror, you would be crazy not to invest a lot of time researching what you were buying. You need to find the right people to talk to. As I’ve said in other posts, some of the best people to talk to about optics are the dob builders. They see dozens of examples of each opticians work.

• Pierre Lemay and m11 like this

#52 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:06 AM

We’ve had a couple of technofusion mirrors get sent back after making the journey here. Knowing what I know, I wouldn’t go down that path. I think if you’re spending a small fortune on a primary mirror, you would be crazy not to invest a lot of time researching what you were buying. You need to find the right people to talk to. As I’ve said in other posts, some of the best people to talk to about optics are the dob builders. They see dozens of examples of each opticians work.

Ohh ok -  I posted on iceinspace and speaking to several people incluiding an  owner it seemed the technofusion are ok. I think I need to research more.

Food for thought for a later time I guess. lol.gif I need to somehow convince the wife that the scope won't take any more rooms in our house. laugh.gif

Yah true on the dob builders, might have a separate discussion with our dob builder. smile.gif

Edited by m11, 27 July 2021 - 04:12 AM.

#53 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:58 AM

Hi Chaslx200,

If you are ever down in Australia , Victoria you are most welcome to view through the scopes. smile.gif  I do like Omega Centauri but 47 Tuc really smacks you in the face as well!

I would love to live down that way and do some grouper and snapper fishing on the northeast coast.  47 Tuc is too low even for FL.

• m11 likes this

#54 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:29 AM

<<  You will find having a big scope is like having a big boat.  >>

Hopefully not from this perspective:  

“The two happiest days in a sailors life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.”

• Allan Wade and m11 like this

#55 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:02 AM

“The two happiest days in a sailors life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.”

Haha, in that case I want to get more bigger boats till I get a fleet of them. lol.gif

I am hoping I build up enough of the scopes to pass it on as a legacy. I know in reality if I left it to the kids they would sell them if I am not around.lol.gif

#56 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:40 AM

I've joked before that a really large scope is like an RV: You don't want one, you want a close friend with one.  :D   Then again, I can say that, having neither!  LOL

Really beautiful scope and I bet you have more clear skies down under that we do, right now at least...

• m11 and sanbai like this

#57 Chucky

Chucky

Apollo

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:13 PM

(( You don't want one, you want a close friend with one. ))

Right. And a reason to attend star parties. I've been to several when the owner leaves for awhile and says to use the scope (a big one!) as much as you want.

Edited by Chucky, 27 July 2021 - 12:16 PM.

• Bill Jensen, lphilpot and m11 like this

#58 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:27 PM

I've joked before that a really large scope is like an RV: You don't want one, you want a close friend with one.  laugh.gif   Then again, I can say that, having neither!  LOL

Really beautiful scope and I bet you have more clear skies down under that we do, right now at least...

Haha that would be nice! You don't have to do the setup and breakdown. 

Thanks, weather here has been terrible. I hoping its gets better since the planets are up. 

• Bill Jensen likes this

#59 peleuba

peleuba

Gemini

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:21 AM

I am super excited and I promised to share info and pictures when my 24inch SDM scope was nearing completion.

This is terrific and congratulations!

These SDM telescopes remind me of the John Pratte JP Astrocraft dobs here in the USA.  Both, high-end, made one a time (or in very small batches) by an uncompromising craftsman.

I was speaking with my dear friend Bob Schilling earlier in the week...  He and I were speaking about large Newtonians and for a wooden scope SDM and JP Astrocraft are the way to go.  If metal is your thing, StarStructure and perhaps SpicaEyes.  

I am expecting my JP Astrocraft in October.

• Darren Drake, Bill Jensen, Kunama and 1 other like this

#60 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:17 PM

This is terrific and congratulations!

These SDM telescopes remind me of the John Pratte JP Astrocraft dobs here in the USA.  Both, high-end, made one a time (or in very small batches) by an uncompromising craftsman.

I was speaking with my dear friend Bob Schilling earlier in the week...  He and I were speaking about large Newtonians and for a wooden scope SDM and JP Astrocraft are the way to go.  If metal is your thing, StarStructure and perhaps SpicaEyes.  

I am expecting my JP Astrocraft in October.

Hi Paul,

Many thanks, I am super stoked and excited that the SDM telescope is coming finally. I still am pinching myself as I thought I could never own a Zambuto powered SDM Scope. 

Yah for sure, if I was in the USA those would be the scope builders I would be going too. The sweet 16 looks really nice. waytogo.gif  I don't mind the metal construction either.  :)

I also like the New Moon telescopes -  I saw the larger  scopes they build and I can only drool.

If you don't mind me asking - what aperture and focal ratio for the JP Astrocraft?

#61 peleuba

peleuba

Gemini

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:49 PM

If you don't mind me asking - what aperture and focal ratio for the JP Astrocraft?

It’s a 16” F/3.7 Lockwood.

I understand that Peter of SDM has outfitted a couple of his telescopes with the excellent John Pratte mirror cell.

#62 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:05 PM

ohhh thats a nice aperture to have. waytogo.gif

Yah I believe so, the scope I am getting wont have the John Pratte mirror cell.

Exciting times for you as well. smile.gif

• peleuba likes this

#63 Dober

Dober

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 August 2021 - 07:24 PM

Hi m11 & members,

This is my first post on Cloudy Nights but have read many good posts and learned a lot from other members, I had to sign up after seeing your post

A very nice instrument, you no doubt you will get many years of enjoyment and use.  I am also happy to see this scope in now complete as Pete was finishing yours and one other before he completes the build on my pending 18" CZ f4.2 quartz.  Pete reports mine will be done by the end of the year with all components in his workshop ready to go.

Like you, I never thought I would head down this path, but never say never.  I will be proud to own an SDM with a CZ mirror. Its been a bit of a journey with much anticipation, but all good things come to those who wait. 

When things return to some form of normality I hope to catch up with other SDM owners at a gathering somewhere.

I hope that Covid doesn't delay delivery.  Enjoy waytogo.gif.

• Bill Jensen, Allan Wade and m11 like this

#64 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2021 - 10:19 PM

Hi Dober,

Welcome to Cloudy Nights and I am glad you signed up after seeing the post. waytogo.gif

Many thanks for that. bow.gif

Congratulations to you on your pending 18inch f/4.2 CZ in an SDM scope.  Is your mirror finished with Carl and with Pete now?
Can I ask what colour scheme did you go for? smirk.gif I am glad your scope is coming soon, it is super exciting!

I have a 18inch f/4 CZ quartz mirror with Pete for next SDM build scheduled for sometime next year to keep Pete busy. I am hoping to share more SDM scope builds as they come along.

Its super exciting and what a journey and learning experience as well. Yah it feels kinda surreal really the whole experience sometimes.

Yep definitely, sounds like a Plan. I am regret missing the inaugural SDM scope party, I will try to make the next one after negotiations with the wife. flowerred.gif   

Haha thanks for that. It delayed the 14.5inch by three months last year and currently in lockdown 6.0 now. I am kinda lucky that Pete is in the same home state as me.  I am hoping this doesn't occur as the 24inch SDM has been a 2.5 year journey so far and my birthday is next month, it will be an epic birthday present. lol.gif

Edited by m11, 08 August 2021 - 10:39 PM.

• Bill Jensen likes this

#65 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:14 AM

Haha thanks for that. It delayed the 14.5inch by three months last year and currently in lockdown 6.0 now. I am kinda lucky that Pete is in the same home state as me.  I am hoping this doesn't occur as the 24inch SDM has been a 2.5 year journey so far and my birthday is next month, it will be an epic birthday present. lol.gif

I was on the SDM wait list for 7 years. 3 years for the 32” then 4 years for the 16”. As they say, to get the best, you have to join the longest line.

• George N and m11 like this

#66 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:05 PM

I was on the SDM wait list for 7 years. 3 years for the 32” then 4 years for the 16”. As they say, to get the best, you have to join the longest line.

Wow ok that is a fair amount of time to wait. I think the scopes you have are super impressive and the thought you have put in is on another level. Love the dedication. waytogo.gif

Hahah so true.  I knew for myself I wanted an SDM scope early but wasn't sure I could do it and never pay someone overseas either, learnings for me. I am now hoping to work towards on SDM number #5 which is going to be a long term goal.

#67 Dober

Dober

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:41 PM

Thanks gents for the comments and tales of your journeys thus far. 

My mirror is with Pete, it arrived about a month ago, so a 13 month wait for the mirror.  With Pete's efforts the scope will be delivered at around the two-year mark which was fine as it gave me plenty of time to get the funds together.  Given your reported time frames I think Pete and Carl have done well with mine, feeling lucky. Patience is a virtue as they say, Allan it appears you take the prize.

I haven't settled on a colour scheme yet, will discuss my options with Pete at some stage.  Not sure which way to go.  In another life I restored furniture for a living (French Polisher) so a stained finish would make it easier for me to touch up any surface damage to the timber work over time, I have admired some of the painted finishes though, yours included Allan.

I started with a commercial 8" f6 goto a few years ago which whet my appetite, so huge learning curve all round particularly with settling on the parameters for such an investment. Pete has been great to work with in that regard.

This is what helped me pass the time while developing my general knowledge of telescope construction and set up. I restored an old reflector from the late 80's. I picked up an old tube with heavy duty rings and a 13.1 f5.7 primary made by the late Pierre Schwaar from the US.  He was responsible for Big Foot Telescopes.  By the way this mirror is 1" thick not 2" which was common for the day.

This scope had been mounted on an equatorial mount, so apart from general repairs to the two plus metre tube, I had to build a Dob style mount in which I wanted to incorporate the rings. So, the result is, I now have a mid-sized push to Dob with the ability for the tube to be rotated in the mount, handy as it is raised toward zenith which delays me getting up a few steps as I can rotate the focuser downward as the tube is raised.  It’s a real beast and was a great project and distraction for me.

The three month wait for delivery due to Covid would have been a killer, here's hoping you get the 24 for your birthday and that the SDM crew can catch up at a dark site sooner rather than later.  I'm in the south east corner of QLD so a catch up will require a decent road trip for sure, love a road trip.

• Allan Wade and m11 like this

#68 m11

m11

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:29 PM

I am glad to hear the mirror arrived safely to Australia, one less thing to worry about. That is not too bad timeframe wise for you , I have to say the journey is interesting as well seeing the scope come together.

Hopefully you don't encounter any delays with scope due to the lockdowns.

Cool, keep us posted on how you go. smile.gif Will be interesting to see what scheme you go.

You definitely have more experience than I in fixing and maintaining scopes, great skills to have. waytogo.gif   

Haha thanks for that. I am hoping that it comes together as well for my birthday. lol.gif  Yep - I reckon it will be fun time to share the experience together and be able to see so many SDM scopes in the one place.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics