•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C90 + focal reducer 6.3+ zoom eyep.8x24mm?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paulsky

paulsky

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:15 AM

Hello, 

How much magnification range have this combination? 

Worth? Advantages? 

Thanks, 

Paul. 

#2 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:11 AM

You would effectively have a zoom eyepiece with a new range of 13mm to 39mm.  I'm not sure of the quality of the view.  I may try it myself :)

• paulsky likes this

#3 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:18 AM

An 80mm f/6 … f/7 refractor would be better…

Edited by luxo II, 25 July 2021 - 08:19 AM.

• paulsky and petert913 like this

#4 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:31 AM

That reducer is meant for SC scopes so quality may not be so good.
  • paulsky likes this

#5 erin

erin

Apollo

• Loc: MA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:38 AM

I use the reducer on my 102 mak and it gives nice lower-powered views. It doesn’t make the Mak a wide-field instrument, but it helps fit more open clusters. Then you just remove the focal reducer to get the nice longer focal length performance on planets and doubles. The advantage of this combo is that you have a versatile, lightweight, easy to mount grabngo set up.

It depends on what the OP is looking for. If you want grabngo and wide views, a short refractor with the zoom is the way to go.

• paulsky and Echolight like this

#6 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:45 AM

The problem with this is the focal reducer. The little scope has a small baffle tube, and that will cause considerable vignetting. I tried a reducer with my ETX125, and for that reason, vignetting, found it was better just to use long focal length eyepieces if I wanted lower magnifications. 

• paulsky and petert913 like this

#7 Echolight

Echolight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Texas

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:51 PM

I’m planning to get a focal reducer, with maybe the end game being used on a C5 on a lightweight mount.

But I’ll certainly try it on my f/11 C90 with an eyepiece featuring a 23-24mm-ish field stop, for close to 3 degrees TFoV....I think.

Surely it won’t be an optimized widefield. But maybe a cool little useable setup. I’m considering a Baader 32mm T2 with helical focusing 1.25 eyepiece holder for fine tuning as the scope’s helical focuser is itself a little fast.

• erin likes this

#8 erin

erin

Apollo

• Loc: MA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:09 PM

The problem with this is the focal reducer. The little scope has a small baffle tube, and that will cause considerable vignetting. I tried a reducer with my ETX125, and for that reason, vignetting, found it was better just to use long focal length eyepieces if I wanted lower magnifications. 

Hi Uncle Rod! I’ve only used small eyepieces-BST flat fields. The lowest power is 27mm at 53 degree FoV. I haven’t noticed vignetting but wasn’t looking for it either. It’s good to know you have seen it. Were you using eyepieces like these or larger FoV ones?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics